FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] How to keep TWRP + data decryption when upgrading to OOS 10

1,502 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,415
 
By SyCreed, Senior Member on 2nd November 2019, 10:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd November 2019, 05:13 PM |#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 281
 
More
Agreed with some of the above, I would make a note don't do this after upgrading to 10, it will brick the phone and you will have to MSM back to stock.

So basically you need to go back to Beta 27 or stable 9.0.17 root with TWRP then do the procedure.
2nd November 2019, 05:19 PM |#22  
Member
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Can I use this if my phone is rooted using magisk 20.1 with TWRP 3.3.1-20 Pie , I downloaded OTA to my phone and my bootloader is unlocked
also how to flash oldmasterkey using any free app instead of EXKM
2nd November 2019, 05:40 PM |#23  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I need help guys.
I upgraded to Android 10, and flashed a Magisk module because of which my phone is stuck in bootloop. I can't open it now. Can anyone please tell me how to just retrieve my data from my phone somehow? I have some really important data on my phone right now. Can I somehow decrypt my phone only to copy data to my PC?

Or is there any way I can pull the data using ADB and decrypt it as I know the pin?
2nd November 2019, 05:50 PM |#24  
cultofluna's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,537
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articunos

I need help guys.
I upgraded to Android 10, and flashed a Magisk module because of which my phone is stuck in bootloop. I can't open it now. Can anyone please tell me how to just retrieve my data from my phone somehow? I have some really important data on my phone right now. Can I somehow decrypt my phone only to copy data to my PC?

Or is there any way I can pull the data using ADB and decrypt it as I know the pin?

Fastboot flash boot the Q twrp img on fastboot
Boot on twrp ( your data should be encrypted) and flash magisk uninstaller via otg storage or sideload
2nd November 2019, 05:51 PM |#25  
Timmmmaaahh's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Bruges
Thanks Meter: 5,458
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articunos

I need help guys.

I upgraded to Android 10, and flashed a Magisk module because of which my phone is stuck in bootloop. I can't open it now. Can anyone please tell me how to just retrieve my data from my phone somehow? I have some really important data on my phone right now. Can I somehow decrypt my phone only to copy data to my PC?



Or is there any way I can pull the data using ADB and decrypt it as I know the pin?

I'm afraid that, even if you'd get TWRP going, decryption wouldn't be possible without wiping. We can't stretch the importance of backups enough... I would try switching slots and perhaps even flashing a patched boot image to both slots first. You might get it booting again. See the support I provided in this thread.

Wrapped with delicious Fajita
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timmmmaaahh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Timmmmaaahh Ad-Free
2nd November 2019, 05:57 PM |#26  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmmmaaahh

I'm afraid that, even if you'd get TWRP going, decryption wouldn't be possible without wiping. We can't stretch the importance of backups enough... I would try switching slots and perhaps even flashing a patched boot image to both slots first. You might get it booting again. See the support I provided in this thread.

Wrapped with delicious Fajita

I am almost on the verge of crying now.I know I am dumb to not take a backup. But please help me somehow. Is it possible that after I format my internal storage, I will be able to recover my data using some special software?

Or if I try and flash the stock boot image from the OTA package and then try to boot it, will my phone boot? Will my flashed Magisk module automatically be disabled and my system will boot normally?

I am sorry if I seem dumb, but I am looking at all possible solutions right now.

Thanks
2nd November 2019, 06:27 PM |#27  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,430
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articunos

I am almost on the verge of crying now.I know I am dumb to not take a backup. But please help me somehow. Is it possible that after I format my internal storage, I will be able to recover my data using some special software?

Or if I try and flash the stock boot image from the OTA package and then try to boot it, will my phone boot? Will my flashed Magisk module automatically be disabled and my system will boot normally?

I am sorry if I seem dumb, but I am looking at all possible solutions right now.

Thanks

If you want to save your data there is just one possibility. You need to boot the phone. If that is impossible, there is no way you will ever recover the encrypted data. That's what encryption is for - to disalow access to data to unauthorized people .
Sorry but there is no other way. Had a similar problem on 9, but in the end I managed to boot the phone and saved my data.
Did you try to flash stock kernel ?
2nd November 2019, 06:35 PM |#28  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCreed

there is patched boot.img with magisk that you can flash.

Where can i get that img?
I've been looking for a while since im not able to boot into TWRP to install magisk
2nd November 2019, 06:42 PM |#29  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,430
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maujogador

Where can i get that img?
I've been looking for a while since im not able to boot into TWRP to install magisk

There is a link the twrp recovery thread here on xda. This is for stable Android 10 of course. He published clean image & magisk image. Use fastboot to flash it and report. Hope it helps.
2nd November 2019, 07:19 PM |#30  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldMan

There is a link the twrp recovery thread here on xda. This is for stable Android 10 of course. He published clean image & magisk image. Use fastboot to flash it and report. Hope it helps.

I was under the impression that there was an already patched boot img I could flash to get magisk running.
Since I already have oos 10, I would need to format my phone to follow mauro's steps.

Usually I would just temp load TWRP to flash magisk but it seems the bootloader no longer accepts fastboot boot commands.

EDIT:
Found this post where good guy ducter posted his patched boot.img. I flashed it and now have magisk up and running no problems.
Just download the file and "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img"
For anyone doing this, please remember that in the case of an oos update, you need to flash the stock boot.img manually since by using this method magisk does not backup the stock img automatically, like it would do when flashing it with TWRP.
2nd November 2019, 07:28 PM |#31  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,430
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maujogador

I was under the impression that there was an already patched boot img I could flash to get magisk running.
Since I already have oos 10, I would need to format my phone to follow mauro's steps.

Usually I would just temp load TWRP to flash magisk but it seems the bootloader no longer accepts fastboot boot commands.

Here is the post. I think you can just flash the kernel:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=3983
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes