FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[T-Mobile / Guide] - Full SIM and Bootloader Unlock + Root for locked devices

28,910 posts
Thanks Meter: 66,332

By Scott, Retired Recognized Developer on 16th April 2019, 02:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Background: I am writing this short guide for people like me that want all the info about the T-Mobile 6T unlock capabilities. None of this is my work. I wanted to have a central thread where T-Mobile users can discuss the T-Mobile specifics of this device.

When you purchase a T-Mobile branded OP 6T the device will be SIM and Bootloader locked. Many great people here on XDA found ways around the SIM and bootloader lock. I am simply compiling it all here in one simple thread to be a resource for us T-Mobile users. In this guide you will be directed to the proper resources to SIM and bootloader unlock your T-Mobile 6T and return to T-Mobile software fully unlocked. It doesnt matter if your device is paid off or not. You are bypassing the 40 day wait for a paid off device to SIM unlock!

This is a high level overview for someone that wants quick info and links. All of the info is on XDA but scattered in various threads. I found bits and pieces here and there in those threads so I decided to make a dedicated T-Mobile thread for any T-Mobile user that needs help with the complete process in one simple thread.

So here goes...

Step 1: Convert device to international ROM and unlock the bootloader. Thanks to @AnonymousTipster for this thread! Follow the steps here: T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!) NOTE: You MUST use version 9.0.11 to unlock the bootloader! Do not use newer versions because they closed whatever loophole that allows us to unlock. After converting to the International version go to Developer options and select OEM Unlocking and turn it on. Now reboot to bootloader and issue the command "fastboot oem unlock" to unlock the bootloader. You are now on the international ROM with your bootloader unlocked.

Step 2: Root and Recovery: Thanks to @mauronofrio for this thread! Now you can root and install recovery on your device following the steps here: [RECOVERY][3.3.0-2][fajita]Official/Unofficial TWRP recovery for OnePlus 6T (Stable).

Step 3: Unlock the SIM . Thanks to @nika_bego for this thread. Follow the steps here: Guide SIM UNLOCK T-MOBILE version all type of IMEI supported.
---NOTE: At this point you can call it quits and keep device as is which is now both bootloader and SIM unlocked on the international firmware (I recommend updating to the latest beta's) or you can continue on with the guide to return to T-Mobile firmware while maintaining SIM unlock (which will lead to boot loader unlock)...

Step 4: Convert back to T-Mobile Device: Thanks to @Dark Nightmare for this thread. Now use the MSM Tool to revert back to the original T-Mobile firmware from here: [TOOL] T-Mobile OnePlus 6T MSMDownloadTool [Firmware 9.0 v1 & v2] This will RE-LOCK your bootloader but not the SIM. You only need to do this if you want to keep the T-Mobile firmware for the updated RCS app, etc. Once the bootloader is re-locked it will take 7 days to get the unlock token shown in the next step. There will be a few security updates once you flash the original firmware back. I would update before unlocking bootloader.

Step 5: Legit Unlock Bootloader Thank OnePlus for this NOTE: Take all OTA's before unlocking. Once unlocked you will no longer receive OTA Updates. You are now on T-Mobile firmware and SIM unlocked. You can proceed to unlock the bootloader the legit way now. Simply follow the steps here: How to unlock bootloader for OnePlus 6T (T-Mobile edition). NOTE: It does take an entire 7 days for the unlock token.

Thats it, your done! You are now fully unlocked and running t-Mobile version of the software (or moved on to other ROMS all together). You can now have root on the latest T-Mobile ROM with RCS capabilities (after waiting the 7 days for the token).

Feel free to discuss all things T-Mobile in this thread.

Big thanks to the following people for posting all original work: @AnonymousTipster, @mauronofrio, @nika_bego, @Dark Nightmare
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free

16th April 2019, 02:54 AM |#2  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
16th April 2019, 03:22 AM |#3  
Flag Northern Mexico... AKA South Central Texas
Thanks Meter: 1,638

More
@Scott You still on the stock kernel after unlocking everything or have you flashed a custom kernel on it?
16th April 2019, 03:24 AM |#4  
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.emilio

@Scott You still on the stock kernel after unlocking everything or have you flashed a custom kernel on it?

Im running stock kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
16th April 2019, 03:26 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

Im running stock kernel.

Cool beans. From a technical standpoint flashing a custom kernel would still be possible right?
16th April 2019, 03:38 AM |#6  
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Cool beans. From a technical standpoint flashing a custom kernel would still be possible right?

100%

I just choose to run stock because I want to keep the device as close to stock as possible. I am pretty happy with this phone the way it is out the box. The only reason I rooted was to install AdAway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
16th April 2019, 04:00 AM |#7  
Flag Richmond
Thanks Meter: 104

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Custom kernels can be great and all. But the stock ones are still very well optimized overall and this phone is constantly giving me 7-8 hours SOT with both custom kernels and stock. Sure, there's the argument of debloating and lightening. But I think stock provides a decent enough experience that doesn't lose out on much important stuff
GuestK00177
16th April 2019, 04:01 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nice work but step 2 isn't required. After giving the fastboot OEM unclock command, let it wipe as normal, then before letting it reboor, force it back to bootloader mode by holding vol up, down, and power till it reboots, then just hold power and volume down and it enters bootloader aka fastboot mode. Then give fastboot erase modemst1 and then fastboot erase modemst2. Then reboot. It is also worth mentioning msm 9.0.12 can be used now as long as u run it with the factory patched exe file from the intl conversion thread that was posted with 9.0.11.. Gets you all up to date, a bit faster. Take anonymous tipsters patched exe and copy to msm 12 directory. FYI,.every kernel and ROM for both the intl op6 and op6t work for our phone. Identical. Pixel experience by markash and treskmod actually run better on the phone than stock oos, with about 9-10 hrs sot. .. one plus dropped the ball on ram MGMT, especially with 8gbs of ram and them not utilizing it. Lastly if u stay on TMO firmware, I have a giant list of hacks I'll put together for the strictly stock users. Build prop edits that should be included to begin with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
16th April 2019, 04:01 AM |#9  
Flag Richmond
Thanks Meter: 104

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

Background: I am writing this short guide for people like me that want all the info about the T-Mobile 6T unlock capabilities. When you purchase a T-Mobile branded OP 6T the device will be SIM and Bootloader locked. Many great people here on XDA found ways around the SIM and bootloader lock. I am simply compiling it all here in one simple thread to be a resouce for others looking to do the conversion to an unlocked device.

In this guide you will be directed to the proper resources to SIM and bootloader unlock your T-Mobile 6T and return to T-Mobile software fully unlocked. It doesnt matter if your device is paid off or not. You are bypassing the 40 day wait for a paid off device to sim unlock.

This is a high level overview for someone that wants quick info and links. All of the info is on XDA but scattered in various threads.

Step 1: Convert device to international ROM and unlock the bootloader. Follow the steps here: T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

Step 2: You will need to root your device with Magisk using TWRP. Follow the steps here: [RECOVERY][3.3.0-2][fajita]Official/Unofficial TWRP recovery for OnePlus 6T (Stable)

Step 3: Unlock the SIM by erasing modemst1 and modemst2. Follow the steps here: Guide SIM UNLOCK T-MOBILE version all type of IMEI supported

Step 4: At this point you can call it quits and keep device as is. Or... You can MSM Tool back to the T-Mobile firmware from here: [TOOL] T-Mobile OnePlus 6T MSMDownloadTool [Firmware 9.0 v1 & v2] This will RE-LOCK your bootloader but not the SIM.

Step 5: You are now on T-Mobile firmware and SIM unlocked. You can proceed to unlock the bootloader the legit way now. Simply follow the steps here: How to unlock bootloader for OnePlus 6T (T-Mobile edition)
. NOTE: It does take an entire 7 days for the unlock token.

Thats it, your done! You are now fully unlocked and running t-Mobile version of the software. You can now have root on the latest T-Mobile ROM with RCS capabilities.

Feel free to discuss all things T-Mobile in this thread.

Thanks for posting this! Definitely easier to have all info in one place 😁😁
16th April 2019, 05:27 AM |#10  
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofhell

Lastly if u stay on TMO firmware, I have a giant list of hacks I'll put together for the strictly stock users. Build prop edits that should be included to begin with.

Step two isnt required unless that is all you plan on doing is rooting. This guide just tries to link to the others guides. Just a high level overview.

Also, great idea. Great idea on creating a list of hacks. Definitely post a link to the thread when you create one.
16th April 2019, 09:09 AM |#11  

More
Just followed this. Windows 8 was being a PITA for adb and fastboot so I upgraded it to Windows 10. BUT.. once I fixed the quirks with my laptop these steps went smoothly with no hiccups. Just gotta wait the 7 days now so I can use the Swift themer and make it look the way I like. Let's see how well this works completely stock for a week. When I first got this phone I immediately switched to international so I've never been able to experience the TMO firmware.

Thanks again for sharing this!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)