FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Charging speed

812 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,649

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 14th September 2018, 08:20 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
To power up, you consume Red Bull. But your phone just needs its adaptive fast charger. Rate this thread to express how quickly the OnePlus 6T can charge. A higher rating indicates that it charges extremely fast.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

6th November 2018, 02:25 PM |#2  
User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter: 7,136

More
dash charge (now called fast charge) is crazy fast!!
6th November 2018, 02:32 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Still, I would only recommend using that feature if there is a real benefit - i.e. time is of the essence. The battery will age quicker being dash charged all the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bäcker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bäcker Ad-Free
7th November 2018, 04:01 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
saw 60 percent at 35 minutes and 38 seconds, which is more or less in line with what OnePlus claims
7th November 2018, 03:32 PM |#5  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Incredibly fast compared to my old Honor 8. One example I have is the first charge I did 5 days ago when I had bought it at a pop-up event here in Sweden. I had used it for about 1-2 hours with the screen on when I was setting it up and trying out the phone. Then when I plugged it in, it went from 36% to 75% in just 24 minutes. That's insanely fast
I've also noticed that just like OnePlus claims, the phone basically charges at the same speed with the screen on as if I would have had the screen off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vecopotryx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Vecopotryx Ad-Free
7th November 2018, 06:44 PM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bäcker

Still, I would only recommend using that feature if there is a real benefit - i.e. time is of the essence. The battery will age quicker being dash charged all the time.

Can you provide any factual basis for this statement? Research or articles from established professionals in the field of battery charging?
Everything I've read from reliable sources state that the biggest impact on battery longevity is temperature. Repeated heating (or extreme cooling for that matter) will accelerate the "aging" process, as you put it. OnePlus has actually solved this problem by offloading the energy conversion that causes heat to the power brick, leaving the phone cool during charging (pretty ingenious). I've also read that not always charging the battery fully to 100% can prolong longevity, which is why you get charging strategies on laptops that will stop charging at 80% or 60% if you leave your laptop plugged in 24/7.
Point being, the ONLY way to slowly charge this device would be to use a third party charger and/or cable.

The reason I ask this, is that the manufacturer, OnePlus, clearly states in their documentation that comes with the phone or dash chargers to ONLY use the charger and cable that came with the phone.
Quote:

Please charge the OnePlus Dash device only with the official Dash Power Adapter and Dash Type-C Cable. Using unauthorized adapter can be dangerous and may void your warranty.

I'm not completely opposed to the idea that this could just be a marketing ploy to get you to buy their own adapter and accessories, but again just want to know if there's any substantial proof that fast charging, by itself, degrades the battery faster, of if it's just a case of incorrect tribal knowledge.
Thanks.
7th November 2018, 07:14 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
You are correct that the rate of charge and discharge alone are not the only deciding factors on lipo life and certainly not the most decisive ones.
Excessive heat, especially on high charge levels, is the biggest factor for increased aging.

As you mentioned extreme charging levels (completely empty or full) will also contribute to faster aging, albeit the impact is not that extreme for these low current-draw Lipos used in our phones (as opposed to high-drain Lipos for instance).

Discharge and Charge at high rates will also contribute to the speed of aging, but not as much as heat.

When a lipo spends most of its time one medium charging levels at moderate temperatures and is only charged and discharged with low rates on it will have the longest service life.

This is common for all Lipos, just how much a low or high rate is for that particular battery differs (low drain, high capacity VS high drain, low capacity cell)

With Lipos everything is a compromise. Max and min voltages, max temperatures, max draw are values the manufacturer has chosen as the best compromise to reach the intended MTBF. All these numbers are not physical absolute barriers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bäcker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bäcker Ad-Free
7th November 2018, 11:08 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Charges 0-100% in 1hr 30 mins
The Following User Says Thank You to imatts For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imatts Ad-Free
10th November 2018, 06:36 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 134

More
Second place after SuperCharge (even first gen) from Huawei. Much better than QC 3.0
10th November 2018, 07:29 PM |#10  
Flag Skövde
Thanks Meter: 71

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klanac89

Second place after SuperCharge (even first gen) from Huawei. Much better than QC 3.0

Nope. Super VOOC (OPPO) is hands down the fastest!
10th November 2018, 08:20 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 134

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Karlsson

Nope. Super VOOC (OPPO) is hands down the fastest!

First of all, how many device support Super VOOC? How many device you can buy outside China with VOOC?
Super VOOC is 50W, the same like Huaweis SuperCharge 2.
Did you test SuperCharge 2 or VOOC?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)