FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A Detailed Rhinoshield CrashGuard Review

59 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By Ruvaldak, Member on 7th October 2019, 09:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So, when I was looking for cases for my OnePlus 7 Pro, I wanted a case that would show off the back of this gorgeous nebula blue phone without anything covering it up. I found the Rhinoshield CrashGuard, however, I was looking around for reviews, pictures, anything detailed about it from users who've purchased it and couldnt find anything decent, very little criticism or anything. So, here ya go.

This case is not great at all. To start, its not rubber, or grippy in any way. Its a kind of plastic, and the interior of the case is the same kind of plastic, no cushioning aside from a kind of honeycomb pattern (which probably doesnt help on protection at all). Honestly still slippery, maybe not as bad as the phone by itself but you could still easily drop it.

Next are the buttons. To put it bluntly, they're horrible. The volume buttons don't seem to line up quite properly, and often they'll be super spongy as they aren't making proper contact with the buttons. The absolute worst is the cover for the slider. It simply doesnt work properly, it doesnt always move the slider, so you'll have to push hard for it to kind of slot in to move from ring to vibrate to silent. Its bad.

Next is the camera cutout. This seems like something that could have so easily been avoided had RhinoShield actually tested the case first before producing it. To put it short, it covers up the camera because it's 1) too thick, and 2) the curves of it just dont work with the camera. Rather than having a smile-shaped curve like it does, if it had been a U or box shaped sort of cutout, the whole problem could have been avoided. As it stands, for it to not cover up the camera, I had to take a knife and some sandpaper to grind it down, and its still not perfect.

Now protection: it provides next to none. The top and bottom of the case are thick and keep the back/front of the phone off it's glass when laid on a flat surface, but the sides are very thin, so the back and front of your phone are vulnerable in every scenario except a perfectly flat surface. A corner of a table, for example, will touch the back of the phone.

All in all, the case is an utter failure in every aspect. Rather than providing some form a protection, it instead makes using the phone significantly more difficult due to its poor button placement and other glaring design issues, and the effort it goes to to protect the glass with lips is next to zero, as it fails to keep the phone off it's glass sides in all cases except a perfectly flat surface.

Don't buy this case.

Who this case is for: people who dont like using their phone.
Who this case isn't for: Everyone else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruvaldak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ruvaldak Ad-Free
7th October 2019, 10:12 PM |#2  
Flag Livingston
Thanks Meter: 3,261

More
Yes but do you like it?
8th October 2019, 12:51 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubterrain

Yes but do you like it?

No not at all lol. I promptly removed it. I might query Rhinoshield for a return, but after my uh, physical modifications to the case, I doubt theyd take it. I tried to make it work but OCD and frustration together with the case's poor design and lack of function made me decide it wasn't worth the hassle.
8th October 2019, 08:42 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I could not disagree anymore with you.

Every single wrong thing you're stating I can't relate to except the buttons may be a little to spongy.

The grip is nowhere near slippery and nowhere near grippy. Its comfortable and feels great in the hand .

The camera cutout doesn't cover up the front camera for me at least.

The slider issue only occurs if you apply the cover wrong I had the same issue with my 6t but if you align the slider with the cover from day one it will tear down eventually.
8th October 2019, 05:59 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBG

I could not disagree anymore with you.

Every single wrong thing you're stating I can't relate to except the buttons may be a little to spongy.

The grip is nowhere near slippery and nowhere near grippy. Its comfortable and feels great in the hand .

The camera cutout doesn't cover up the front camera for me at least.

The slider issue only occurs if you apply the cover wrong I had the same issue with my 6t but if you align the slider with the cover from day one it will tear down eventually.

I can assure you that I was putting the case on correctly. Even going as far as ensuring the slider and buttons lined up perfectly. I took the case off and put it back on many, many times. Never fixing the glaring issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruvaldak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ruvaldak Ad-Free
8th October 2019, 08:59 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
would you like to sell your case?
8th October 2019, 10:13 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitarius

would you like to sell your case?

Hahahaha If Rhinoshield doesnt refund it I might
8th October 2019, 10:18 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruvaldak

Hahahaha If Rhinoshield doesnt refund it I might

So far i ordered case like this:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/kbE4rkJq

Wysłane z mojego GM1913 przy użyciu Tapatalka
8th October 2019, 11:02 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitarius

So far i ordered case like this:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/kbE4rkJq

Hmmm I like how that looks in the picture, but I dont have much trust in AliExpress due to past experiences. Do let me know how that one turns out, how it fits and such.
9th October 2019, 05:02 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruvaldak

Hmmm I like how that looks in the picture, but I dont have much trust in AliExpress due to past experiences. Do let me know how that one turns out, how it fits and such.

If you are buying always cheapest things and without reviews on Aliexpress there could be a crap. But i like Aliexpress uv glass - 1.5$ and IT is great.

9th October 2019, 05:46 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Honestly I really like my rhinoshield case. I've used them on my past Samsung devices and had no issues. The have protected my phone from anywhere to 3ft to 5ft onto concrete surfaces. I'm sure for the price you could probably get a better case but this is the only one I have found that lets me show off the back while still offering an ok level of protection.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)