FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Magnetic full body case any good?

1,332 posts
Thanks Meter: 314
 
By treetolber, Senior Member on 19th August 2019, 10:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone have experience with this case?

https://www.amazon.com/ZHIKE-Magneti...a-780766905303

My fear is that if one were to drop the device the case would come apart on impact and fly off, therefore leaving the device exposed to bounce around unprotected. I really like this case though.

Any thoughts?
19th August 2019, 11:36 PM |#2  
djsubterrain's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Livingston
Thanks Meter: 3,341
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetolber

Does anyone have experience with this case?

https://www.amazon.com/ZHIKE-Magneti...a-780766905303

My fear is that if one were to drop the device the case would come apart on impact and fly off, therefore leaving the device exposed to bounce around unprotected. I really like this case though.

Any thoughts?

Pretty sure that's already been discussed elsewhere, apparently cases using magnets mess with the GPS, I wouldn't trust it to protect the phone at all though.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsubterrain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift djsubterrain Ad-Free
19th December 2019, 08:09 PM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Been using this one from day 1 without any problems:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01BWKZSUS/









Tutuapp9appsShowbox
21st December 2019, 04:44 PM |#4  
SteveG12543's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Dover, DE
Thanks Meter: 395
 
Donate to Me
More
I did have one very similar (found on a Facebook ad and figured I'd try it, probably same product just rebranded) and it definitely did negatively impact my GPS performance, so now I'm back to using the clear case that came with the phone unfortunately. It also let a decent bit of pocket lint and dust get in between the screen and the case as well, so you'd have to constantly take it apart and clean it just for it to get dirty again almost immediately. Great idea for a product, but it ends up delivering a poor user experience.
12th January 2020, 07:23 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
I can tell from past experiences, not all magnetic cases are created equal lol. I love them, but the ones for the OnePlus 7 pro suck. Lint and dust collect horribly. GPS goes haywire, and the magnets also screw with the phones reception. I could go from full bars, and perfect signal without a case, to no signal at all with the case on.
The Following User Says Thank You to ogre del For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ogre del Ad-Free
14th January 2020, 06:33 PM |#6  
plasticarmyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Long Beach
Thanks Meter: 121
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubterrain

Pretty sure that's already been discussed elsewhere, apparently cases using magnets mess with the GPS, I wouldn't trust it to protect the phone at all though.

you really should stop spreading misinformation...

magnets = compass
GPS = satellites/WiFi/Bluetooth

two very different things..

Sourcing: https://itstillworks.com/magnet-dama...-12185913.html
14th January 2020, 08:20 PM |#7  
djsubterrain's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Livingston
Thanks Meter: 3,341
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticarmyman

you really should stop spreading misinformation...

magnets = compass
GPS = satellites/WiFi/Bluetooth

two very different things..

Sourcing: https://itstillworks.com/magnet-dama...-12185913.html

...and you really should read the forum posts of users, who have actually bought these cases, who have said they definitely noticed a degradation in the quality of GPS performance, I didn't make it up for fun.

Quite apart from any modification of the signals to the phone, however debatatable it might be, they provide completely inadequate protection, especially from drop/shock damage, which is the primary purposes of a phone case.

They're gimmicks, nothing more.
14th January 2020, 10:13 PM |#8  
plasticarmyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Long Beach
Thanks Meter: 121
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubterrain

...and you really should read the forum posts of users, who have actually bought these cases, who have said they definitely noticed a degradation in the quality of GPS performance, I didn't make it up for fun.

Quite apart from any modification of the signals to the phone, however debatatable it might be, they provide completely inadequate protection, especially from drop/shock damage, which is the primary purposes of a phone case.

They're gimmicks, nothing more.

anecdotal evidence doesn't equal proof.

the science and facts of how GPS work disprove any of that...
it is not debatable at all.
Magnets have zero to do with GPS on our phones regardless of what you've read from individual people saying so...there are far too many other outliers that would cause issues compared to Magents.

like seriously...read the article i posted, it has 4 sources attached to it.

STOP spreading misinformation.
15th January 2020, 12:17 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticarmyman

anecdotal evidence doesn't equal proof.

the science and facts of how GPS work disprove any of that...
it is not debatable at all.
Magnets have zero to do with GPS on our phones regardless of what you've read from individual people saying so...there are far too many other outliers that would cause issues compared to Magents.

like seriously...read the article i posted, it has 4 sources attached to it.

STOP spreading misinformation.

I can speak only for myself that the magnetic case for the OnePlus 7 pro does effect the GPS. Without the case my GPS is perfectly reliable. With it keeps on re routing and telling me I'm not where I actually am.

But I've used magnetic cases on other phones and everything was perfectly fine
The Following User Says Thank You to ogre del For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ogre del Ad-Free
16th January 2020, 05:26 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 302
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticarmyman

anecdotal evidence doesn't equal proof.

the science and facts of how GPS work disprove any of that...
it is not debatable at all.
Magnets have zero to do with GPS on our phones regardless of what you've read from individual people saying so...there are far too many other outliers that would cause issues compared to Magents.

like seriously...read the article i posted, it has 4 sources attached to it.

STOP spreading misinformation.

Bro stop if you've never used these piece of **** cases. I've have 2 and they both effect gps, wifi, and cell signal. Do you believe everything you read? How about you throw your money away on one of these awesome cases....it would be more beneficial to your argument than just presenting articles to disprove an actual owner of one.
16th January 2020, 06:26 AM |#11  
plasticarmyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Long Beach
Thanks Meter: 121
 
More
LOL yeah.... science is totally wrong and fake...

Whatever...you can believe whatever pseudoscience you want.

The magnets don't have anything to do with GPS, it is something else not the magnets. This is simple facts.

The compass is controlled by magnets, that is all.

There is no disputing that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes