FORUMS

USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor

3,295 posts
Thanks Meter: 696

By chrisrj28, Senior Member on 25th May 2019, 09:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knew where to get the OnePlus adaptor from other than their website. They are out of stock and I see what looks to be cheap knockoffs online.

Thanks
25th May 2019, 10:49 PM |#2  
Flag J'Ville
Thanks Meter: 4,443

Donate to Me
More
I got a google one from best buy yesterday for 9.99 and it works great. Here and now my luck its on sale for 8.99
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bradl79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bradl79 Ad-Free
25th May 2019, 11:30 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 69

Donate to Me
More
I bought the oem one on aliexpress for $3

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...a94c4c4dZpcrUa
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vacs03 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vacs03 Ad-Free
25th May 2019, 11:34 PM |#4  
Flag Kaiserslautern
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I'm a bit curious about the situation with the USB-C to 3.5mm. Do I need an adaptor with or without an DAC inside the adaptor, and what if there is an DAC inside or not?
25th May 2019, 11:42 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradl79

I got a google one from best buy yesterday for 9.99 and it works great. Here and now my luck its on sale for 8.99

Does the Google one have an included DAC like the OnePlus version?
25th May 2019, 11:44 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacs03

I bought the oem one on aliexpress for $3

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...a94c4c4dZpcrUa

Is that legit oem though?
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrj28 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrisrj28 Ad-Free
26th May 2019, 12:56 AM |#7  
Flag J'Ville
Thanks Meter: 4,443

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrj28

Does the Google one have an included DAC like the OnePlus version?

Being a google product I am sure it does or if not better. I tested it and it sounded great in my car, I have an aftermarket system with Amps and a DSP and it sounded better than my OnePlus 6 and I am using VIPER4Android with it too. Well worth it.
26th May 2019, 03:32 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradl79

Being a google product I am sure it does or if not better. I tested it and it sounded great in my car, I have an aftermarket system with Amps and a DSP and it sounded better than my OnePlus 6 and I am using VIPER4Android with it too. Well worth it.

Great thanks for the info, I'll probably just swing by and pick that up. Waiting on OnePlus to restock will probably be a while.
26th May 2019, 04:32 AM |#9  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 677

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiLion

I'm a bit curious about the situation with the USB-C to 3.5mm. Do I need an adaptor with or without an DAC inside the adaptor, and what if there is an DAC inside or not?

There is no DAC inside the phone to output analog audio through the usb-c port. Any adapter you get will need to have one inside like the Google dongle does. If you are curious, check this out.

I personally don't think those little things sound that great and they can't drive sensitive IEMs or power hungry headphones very well from my experience, which is why I suggest products like the FIIO μBTR, BTR1 or 3, or Astell & Kern XB10, EarStudio ES100, so on and so forth. Of course the added expense is only worth it if you're driving good earphones, otherwise the Google dongle is just fine.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elnrik For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Elnrik Ad-Free
26th May 2019, 05:57 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnrik

There is no DAC inside the phone to output analog audio through the usb-c port. Any adapter you get will need to have one inside like the Google dongle does. If you are curious, check this out.

I personally don't think those little things sound that great and they can't drive sensitive IEMs or power hungry headphones very well from my experience, which is why I suggest products like the FIIO μBTR, BTR1 or 3, or Astell & Kern XB10, EarStudio ES100, so on and so forth. Of course the added expense is only worth it if you're driving good earphones, otherwise the Google dongle is just fine.

Well that would explain why some dongles work and some don't. Thanks for the link, very informative.
26th May 2019, 08:21 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrj28

Well that would explain why some dongles work and some don't. Thanks for the link, very informative.

Went to Target and got the Google adapter, was even cheaper for $8.29. so far so good, thanks for the info guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrj28 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrisrj28 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)