FORUMS

Aosp AOD vs apps AOD for battery?

10,386 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,406

By vegetaleb, Senior Member on 4th May 2020, 07:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello
I love OOS + Renovate on my rooted 7 Pro, but I also kinda missed AOD from my s10+, now I have the choice between using a third party app or flash an aosp custom rom that has its own AOD.
Would the AOD of the custom rom save more battery than the third party app?
4th May 2020, 09:31 AM |#2  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 759

Donate to Me
More
When we are talking about AOD, we must talk about kernel support AOD. All the way, AOD implementation in kernel and ROM is way better than App
4th May 2020, 03:06 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beirut

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy123322

When we are talking about AOD, we must talk about kernel support AOD. All the way, AOD implementation in kernel and ROM is way better than App

So battery wise aosp aod is better?
4th May 2020, 06:59 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 295

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetaleb

So battery wise aosp aod is better?

Pretty much 100%. If the AOD is implemented in the ROM (on kernel level), the device can still enter deep sleep state with it on.
Every playstore aod app will always keep the device awake (prevent deep sleep) and cause significantly higher battery drain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zocker1304 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zocker1304 Ad-Free
4th May 2020, 07:37 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beirut

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zocker1304

Pretty much 100%. If the AOD is implemented in the ROM (on kernel level), the device can still enter deep sleep state with it on.
Every playstore aod app will always keep the device awake (prevent deep sleep) and cause significantly higher battery drain.

In the app I downloaded there is a superuser option, dunno if it's the same as what you were talking?
4th May 2020, 07:39 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beirut

More
Screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200504-212028.png
Views:	374
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	5011607  
7th May 2020, 01:03 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

Screenshot

I guess this does improve power consumption, but can't quite match with an implementation directly in the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zocker1304 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zocker1304 Ad-Free
11th May 2020, 01:32 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beirut

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zocker1304

I guess this does improve power consumption, but can't quite match with an implementation directly in the system.

I am now using Taichi opaodmod, it's taking about 5 to 10% battery per hour depending on the brightness, I guess it's not optimized too right?
It was my last try before going to aosp like crdroid
11th May 2020, 09:24 PM |#9  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 233

More
Quote:

In the app I downloaded there is a superuser option, dunno if it's the same as what you were talking?

Which app did you download? How' s the battey consumption?
Thanks
12th May 2020, 11:04 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beirut

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8man001

Which app did you download? How' s the battey consumption?
Thanks

Always on Amoled
Well first hour it was 4-5% per hour, but then I don't know if I abused of my 7 pro because I surfed the web from time to time or it was the app but it was like 10% per hour
The Following User Says Thank You to vegetaleb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vegetaleb Ad-Free
18th May 2020, 12:41 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

Always on Amoled
Well first hour it was 4-5% per hour, but then I don't know if I abused of my 7 pro because I surfed the web from time to time or it was the app but it was like 10% per hour

Afaik Samsung built in aod is way better, more like 2%. I'm not sure though as I haven't checked into that for a while.
Still 10% is extremely high considering it empties your battery in just 10 hours.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)