FORUMS

What happens if you unlock the bootloader and what features do i loose?

1,520 posts
Thanks Meter: 831

By mikkis2k, Senior Member on 21st May 2019, 08:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi, i am very curious on the rooting scenario.. what happens if i unlock the bootloader and root my op7, wich features do i miss out on and does it do anything special? I want to use substratum, since i like to theme my phones 😅
21st May 2019, 10:19 PM |#2  
Flag Richmond, VA
Thanks Meter: 753

More
You will lose Widevine L1 which will means you cannot view DRM video in anything but 480p. (ie. Netflix will not play HD video)
The Following User Says Thank You to nrage23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nrage23 Ad-Free
21st May 2019, 10:34 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23

You will lose Widevine L1 which will means you cannot view DRM video in anything but 480p. (ie. Netflix will not play HD video)

even if I download the netflix movies ?
21st May 2019, 10:39 PM |#4  
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 552

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensationvsgalaxy

even if I download the netflix movies ?

Correct. It reads the security level as L3 and just downloads the content in 480p. I've tried this before and it was still just L3 and not L1
21st May 2019, 10:46 PM |#5  
OH
Thanks Meter: 216

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23

Netflix and Amazon correct? As long as YouTube is good.
21st May 2019, 10:59 PM |#6  
Flag Honolulu
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Is it permanently lost, or can you recover it by re-locking the bootloader?
21st May 2019, 11:19 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex13

Is it permanently lost, or can you recover it by re-locking the bootloader?

On older Oneplus Phones it is recovered by re-locking it (read here for example), haven't read any statements for the OP7, though I would assume it's the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Pothead For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Harry Pothead Ad-Free
22nd May 2019, 01:05 AM |#8  
Flag Honolulu
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pothead

On older Oneplus Phones it is recovered by re-locking it (read here for example), haven't read any statements for the OP7, though I would assume it's the same.

Good to know. Thank you.
22nd May 2019, 03:24 AM |#9  
Flag Los Angeles CA
Thanks Meter: 139

More
If you need to ask this
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkis2k

Hi, i am very curious on the rooting scenario.. what happens if i unlock the bootloader and root my op7, wich features do i miss out on and does it do anything special? I want to use substratum, since i like to theme my phones

Then don't do it! Non technical people shouldn't root as this isn't for beginners
The Following User Says Thank You to photolarry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift photolarry Ad-Free
22nd May 2019, 04:21 AM |#10  
OH
Thanks Meter: 216

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by photolarry

Then don't do it! Non technical people shouldn't root as this isn't for beginners

Lmao! Come on now this isn't like back in the day where you entered line by line in adb.. They could also just want to unlock the bootloader to convert their tmo OP to an international and don't really care about root.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to init_dot_t For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift init_dot_t Ad-Free
22nd May 2019, 05:34 AM |#11  
Flag Tampa Bay
Thanks Meter: 1,201

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_VASS

Lmao! Come on now this isn't like back in the day where you entered line by line in adb.. They could also just want to unlock the bootloader to convert their tmo OP to an international and don't really care about root.

I remember those days, when there was a real chance of hard bricking a phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bp328i For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bp328i Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)