What happens if you unlock the bootloader and what features do i loose?

Search This thread

mikkis2k

Jun 26, 2010
Hi, i am very curious on the rooting scenario.. what happens if i unlock the bootloader and root my op7, wich features do i miss out on and does it do anything special? I want to use substratum, since i like to theme my phones ?

mikkis2k

Jun 26, 2010
You will lose Widevine L1 which will means you cannot view DRM video in anything but 480p. (ie. Netflix will not play HD video)

Thanks! But its only Netflix? Nothing will happen to my apps like Pokemon go, or bank apps? Jailbreak on iphone x made both unuseable because IT knew i was jailbreaked..

Thanks! But its only Netflix? Nothing will happen to my apps like Pokemon go, or bank apps? Jailbreak on iphone x made both unuseable because IT knew i was jailbreaked..

A lot of banking apps won't work on rooted devices due to the security risk it poses to your accounts with those banks. I have also read that Pokémon Go also does not work on rotted devices. You will also lose Google Pay.

mikkis2k

Jun 26, 2010
A lot of banking apps won't work on rooted devices due to the security risk it poses to your accounts with those banks. I have also read that Pokémon Go also does not work on rotted devices. You will also lose Google Pay.

Isnt there some app like gearbox or something that can hide the detection in apps? I think i did this back in the day ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Then don't do it! Non technical people shouldn't root as this isn't for beginners

Lmao! Come on now this isn't like back in the day where you entered line by line in adb.. They could also just want to unlock the bootloader to convert their tmo OP to an international and don't really care about root.
    Yes, you can just hide those apps using magisk hide in the magisk manager. It works with all banking apps, for me.
    Then don't do it! Non technical people shouldn't root as this isn't for beginners

Plz dont be this person.

Im not a beginner at all, ive rooted and installed cutom roms since HTC desire/ Galaxy S2.

I only asked since i heard og this widevine making Netflix only stream 480p.
    You need to be sure about what you are advising people to do, I don´t know how Oneplus works but I had an uphill battle with my Samsung 8+ as what worked with Magisk one week just stopped working the next, Samsung is very aggressive with security updates. I had to ditch my 8+ due to that very reason, I got so tired of having to spend hours reading various boards to get things to work far too often. In my last try I did get Google Pay to work but the national ID security somehow always figured out that I had messed with the phone. Maybe Knox played a part in that, it´s a hardware trip and non reversible ... never found out what the various ID applications actually checked.

That's something unique to Samsung. No other manufacturer has the resources to develop something like Knox, they mostly rely on Google's SafetyNet, which is easily fooled.

Samsung works this way because they have "ultimate" security. Meaning one breach and you're done - it protects the average end user, which is about 99% of Samsung's customers. Also, some of the stuff (Samsung Pay, Secure Folder, just to name a few) depend on hardware trust, and since that hardware bit (Knox TPM) can be firmware upgraded, but the validity cannot be easily checked after it's been compromised once (i.e. rooted or flashed with any customized firmware), thus it simply doesn't work after.

OnePlus makes phones for enthusiasts, who hack their phones, and sometimes want to recover stock settings. So security is somewhat more lax.

In fact you only have to worry about irreversible damages by rooting correctly on Samsung phones. Any other manufacturer that allows BL unlocking will let you restore factory state 100%.
    Lmao! Come on now this isn't like back in the day where you entered line by line in adb.. They could also just want to unlock the bootloader to convert their tmo OP to an international and don't really care about root.
    I remember those days, when there was a real chance of hard bricking a phone.