FORUMS

Oneplus 7 Pro Bootloop after overlay install, still booting into recovery

88 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By Bxperiaz3, Member on 23rd May 2020, 02:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys. Really need your help. Oneplus 7pro ,european version running 10.0.4 software, latest magisk 20.4 i think? and twrp. Everything was running fine until earlier when I installed a system ui overlay (one i've used before) and now my phone is in a boot loop. I can access TWRP, I've run the substratum overlay uninstaller zip and removed all magisk modules but still i'm in a bootloop. I've never had a proper bootloop before and i'm very frustrated. I've googled for the past few hours and removed everything I can think of that could be causing issues. Does anyone have some advice that doesn't end with me losing all my data? I have a backup but its from a month ago. I've never had this issue before so i'm a little stuck. Thanks

Edit. Phone is fully accessible through my laptop I can see all my files and connect to it. I just cannot get it to boot,surely its a simple fix?
23rd May 2020, 02:45 AM |#2  
Elysium
Thanks Meter: 945

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxperiaz3

Hi guys. Really need your help. Oneplus 7pro ,european version running 10.0.4 software, latest magisk 20.4 i think? and twrp. Everything was running fine until earlier when I installed a system ui overlay (one i've used before) and now my phone is in a boot loop. I can access TWRP, I've run the substratum overlay uninstaller zip and removed all magisk modules but still i'm in a bootloop. I've never had a proper bootloop before and i'm very frustrated. I've googled for the past few hours and removed everything I can think of that could be causing issues. Does anyone have some advice that doesn't end with me losing all my data? I have a backup but its from a month ago. I've never had this issue before so i'm a little stuck. Thanks

Edit. Phone is fully accessible through my laptop I can see all my files and connect to it. I just cannot get it to boot,surely its a simple fix?

Can you boot in TWRP? if can try changing slot and boot from it
The Following User Says Thank You to Mervingio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mervingio Ad-Free
23rd May 2020, 02:55 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervingio

Can you boot in TWRP? if can try changing slot and boot from it

Hi,yes I can. Its loading the logo now so i'll wait and see what happens. If that works then what should be the next thing I do?

Edit: Slot B seems to be bootlooping on the logo unless its meant to take a few minutes

Is there a way to recover without wiping my data?

So slot A sits on the caution device rooted screen then defaults to the fastboot rescue mode which allows me to select reboot to recovery which is twrp. From there I have full access to the phone but still not booting to system. Slot B passes the fastboot screen and hangs on the one plus logo just circling around. This is my first rooted phone and I haven't had any problems until now so I'm hoping its something simple because I didnt do anything big to cause it. Hopefully someone has some insight.
23rd May 2020, 04:20 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Can I just sideload the current version of OOS i'm running using TWRP and not lose my data?
23rd May 2020, 06:26 AM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxperiaz3

Can I just sideload the current version of OOS i'm running using TWRP and not lose my data?

Yes
23rd May 2020, 11:08 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteelX

Yes

Will I lost root or relock the bootloader? I'm trying to find the least destructive way to get back to what I had which was oos 10 with twrp and magisk.
23rd May 2020, 12:12 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Uninstalled magisk and was able to reboot. However reflashing it as i want to retain root makes it bootloop again. Any possible fix for this that isn't a factory reset and reroot?
23rd May 2020, 02:22 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
I can't get substratum or substratum themes to work on any rom or stock, nothing happens after reboots.....or everything turns this weird orange theme. Then one time it corrupted the whole OS and I had to wipe.
23rd May 2020, 02:31 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
try to Dirty flash the same Oxygen version
it will not Wipe your Data or internal storage
The Following User Says Thank You to i6rb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift i6rb Ad-Free
23rd May 2020, 04:01 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by i6rb

try to Dirty flash the same Oxygen version
it will not Wipe your Data or internal storage

Thanks, i'll try this. Will I need to install TWRP again once I do this or is it unaffected?
23rd May 2020, 05:53 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Tried to dirty flash the same stock rom from TWRP but I don't think it did it properly. Can I dirty flash stock rom, flash magisk then try reboot to system?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)