FORUMS

Scammed - IMEI Changed

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By 08Bit, Junior Member on 29th June 2020, 06:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I got a used oneplus 7 pro as gift my dad a while back. I have recently realized that the IMEI of the phone has been tampered with as the IMEI mentioned on back of the phone does not corresponds with the one shown inside the phone. I have searched IMEI shown by the phone and it is registered to some GFIVE phone. Due to the current tax policies of my government on imported phone, the previous owner has probably changed it's IMEI to that of cheaper phone to avoid paying tax. The phone didn't come with a box so the only IMEI that I have is the one written on the back of the phone. I have three questions

1. Is there a way to validate that the IMEI written on back is in fact the actual IMEI of the phone?
2. The phone is dual sim so why there is only one mentioned on the back? If there should be two then is there a method to determine the second IMEI number?
3. Is it possible to reset the phone to it's original IMEI?

Thanks
29th June 2020, 08:29 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
They even change stickers on the back.
I think you are from Pakistan as its a common practice here.
Phone will run fine whatsoever and will update fine with new softwares.
29th June 2020, 10:15 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muhammadshais

They even change stickers on the back.
I think you are from Pakistan as its a common practice here.
Phone will run fine whatsoever and will update fine with new softwares.

Yes i am and the IMEI i am talking about is engraved in the back of the phone
29th June 2020, 03:44 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hello
Attention it seems strange to me that you have the IMEI code on the back, no matter the country normally the IMEI code is never encrusted on the phone because it is the identity of the phone, this code in the wrong hands can cause worries, notably to use insurance or guarantees. In other words, nothing proves that this device is not directly or indirectly linked to an offense. (Counterfeiting, theft, insurance scam, etc.)
The Following User Says Thank You to thullsacha For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thullsacha Ad-Free
29th June 2020, 04:37 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Yes maybe the back of the phone is changed, have you checked for changed back. There must be gap in the phone if back is changed
29th June 2020, 06:44 PM |#6  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 1,231

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Bit

I got a used oneplus 7 pro as gift my dad a while back. I have recently realized that the IMEI of the phone has been tampered with as the IMEI mentioned on back of the phone does not corresponds with the one shown inside the phone. I have searched IMEI shown by the phone and it is registered to some GFIVE phone. Due to the current tax policies of my government on imported phone, the previous owner has probably changed it's IMEI to that of cheaper phone to avoid paying tax. The phone didn't come with a box so the only IMEI that I have is the one written on the back of the phone. I have three questions

1. Is there a way to validate that the IMEI written on back is in fact the actual IMEI of the phone?
2. The phone is dual sim so why there is only one mentioned on the back? If there should be two then is there a method to determine the second IMEI number?
3. Is it possible to reset the phone to it's original IMEI?

Thanks

If the IMEID is engraved on the back of the phone, you might have a T-Mobile version that was obtained in the US.
In the US the T-Mobile version has that engraved on the phone back.
You should go into "Settings" -> "About Phone".
You will be able to see the model.
That is the first step to see what phone you actually have.
29th June 2020, 07:40 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_head

If the IMEID is engraved on the back of the phone, you might have a T-Mobile version that was obtained in the US.
In the US the T-Mobile version has that engraved on the phone back.
You should go into "Settings" -> "About Phone".
You will be able to see the model.
That is the first step to see what phone you actually have.

I have checked, it's T-Mobile.
29th June 2020, 07:43 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muhammadshais

Yes maybe the back of the phone is changed, have you checked for changed back. There must be gap in the phone if back is changed

Cant see any gaps the back sits flush with the frame.
30th June 2020, 01:14 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Bit

Cant see any gaps the back sits flush with the frame.

Im in the US and have a T-Mobile model from the T-Mobile store and mines has the ime number ingraved on the back also
1st July 2020, 02:57 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 214

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by disbeyad999989

Im in the US and have a T-Mobile model from the T-Mobile store and mines has the ime number ingraved on the back also

Same with mine.
1st July 2020, 10:40 AM |#11  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
Thanks Meter: 12,155

More
MODERATOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT!

XDA doesn't allow guides, tools, discussions about changing or editing the IMEI. Exceptions to this policy are sofware wise IMEI spoofing/masking and everything about restoring original IMEI/EFS.
I've cleaned this thread from posts that do not comply with above policy and e.g. suggested to contact whom-so-ever.

Stay safe and stay healthy!
Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)