FORUMS

T-Mobile McLaren - Dual Sim Hack Theory

68 posts
Thanks Meter: 18

By jadensmith, Member on 14th December 2019, 01:07 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Read below for full hack details
The One Plus 7 5G McLaren international supports dual SIM. However the T-Mobile version supports 1 sim card, or so they say....
I have a strong suspicion that it actually has the hardware to support dual Sims. Here's how;

The sim card tray on the T-Mobile McLaren only supports 1. However the international version supports 2. The sim card trays appear to be the same size but different design.

I suspect that if you take a dual sided sim card tray like the international version and put that in the McLaren that it will detect both Sims. I think T-Mobile just used a 1 sided Sim card tray instead of a two sided sim tray..

Try it...
14th December 2019, 01:29 AM |#2  
Flag 33°24′46″N 111°56′35″W
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensmith

Read below for full hack details
The One Plus 7 5G McLaren international supports dual SIM. However the T-Mobile version supports 1 sim card, or so they say....
I have a strong suspicion that it actually has the hardware to support dual Sims. Here's how;

The sim card tray on the T-Mobile McLaren only supports 1. However the international version supports 2. The sim card trays appear to be the same size but different design.

I suspect that if you take a dual sided sim card tray like the international version and put that in the McLaren that it will detect both Sims. I think T-Mobile just used a 1 sided Sim card tray instead of a two sided sim tray..

Try it...

I can confirm that both SIMs are working.
14th December 2019, 01:51 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Awesome thank you for confirming. Did you use the stock sim card tray for dual Sims with the T-Mobile 5G McLaren?

I was only able to look at it briefly and couldn't decern if it supported dual Sims with the stock sim card tray given the limited time I had to look at it.
14th December 2019, 02:27 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
The op7pro dual SIM tray fits in the T-Mobile 5G just fine. I didn't throw 2 sims in it but that's how I set mine up while testing briefly.
14th December 2019, 02:30 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf

The op7pro dual SIM tray fits in the T-Mobile 5G just fine. I didn't throw 2 sims in it but that's how I set mine up while testing briefly.

I got dual sim tray on 7t pro 5g mclaren , but second sim doesn't show up.
14th December 2019, 03:56 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklivehere

I got dual sim tray on 7t pro 5g mclaren , but second sim doesn't show up.

I doubt TMobile allows an IMEI for it
14th December 2019, 11:15 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
The use idea would be to have dual sims so that you could have multi carrier options. For example you would have T-Mobile as your daily driver , but then have Verizon for when you travel to places like Alaska for example where Verizon is dominate up in that area. So It should work just fine. Just may need a mod or a magisk module to enable dual sim functionality.
16th December 2019, 01:33 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Some one point me to the dual sim tray so I can buy one for the phone? Please and Thank you.
16th December 2019, 09:34 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 292

More
Maybe you can flash the dual SIM firmware? Read about that on the forum somewhere already..
22nd December 2019, 11:44 PM |#10  
Flag Jacksonville
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I saw someone bought one on Ebay. I dont remember where I saw it though.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
3rd February 2020, 06:19 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Just off the phone with OnePlus customer support. According to the individual I spoke with, 7T Pro McLarens produced for T-Mobile only support one SIM. The representative stated that even if the phone is unlocked it will still only support one SIM because the phone only has one IMEI.

The question then becomes, is the hardware produced for T-Mobile actually unique with only one IMEI or was it a firmware mod that only exposes one IMEI? My guess is that this is a firmware modification. I suspect that if one were to unlock the 7T Pro McLaren and could then get a hold of the International firmware the T-Mobile hardware would magically discover that it actually has that second IMEI and is capable of supporting two SIMs.

I bought the T-Mobile phone because I thought it could support dual SIMs. I'm extremely disappointed that it does not.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)