FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New to OP7P, just a few question.

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By camapdien, Junior Member on 11th September 2019, 11:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys, so currently im back to android after a few years, just grab my op7p few days ago, still new to this device so im a little confusing
- any disadvantage if im root this device ? I read somewhere that after rooting, Netflix cant stream at 1080p and up, only 480p, is this true ? Is there any bugs like that after rooting ?
- my last android phone was the Galaxy S5, and i have to root that phone because i cant stand tons and tons of bloatwares, does op7p have bloatwares like that ? OxygenOS look clean to me but im just want to be sure
- any stable custom ROM for op7p ? Something clean like lineageos
Thanks guys

11th September 2019, 11:58 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by camapdien

Hi guys, so currently im back to android after a few years, just grab my op7p few days ago, still new to this device so im a little confusing
- any disadvantage if im root this device ? I read somewhere that after rooting, Netflix cant stream at 1080p and up, only 480p, is this true ? Is there any bugs like that after rooting ?
- my last android phone was the Galaxy S5, and i have to root that phone because i cant stand tons and tons of bloatwares, does op7p have bloatwares like that ? OxygenOS look clean to me but im just want to be sure
Thanks guys

-Other than losing widevine Id say no. As far as bugs go, that depends on the mods you install after you root.
-The international/unlocked OP7P doesnt have any bloatware really. It just comes with the standard OP apps and Netflix.
-The majority of the ROMs are stable. Some lack 90hz, may have a trouble with the auto-brightness or some other minor flaw but other than that they are stable. I usually go between Havoc, Lineage, Pixel Experience and Resurrection Remix.
The Following User Says Thank You to whatthekj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift whatthekj Ad-Free
12th September 2019, 12:09 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthekj

-Other than losing widevine Id say no. As far as bugs go, that depends on the mods you install after you root.
-The international/unlocked OP7P doesnt have any bloatware really. It just comes with the standard OP apps and Netflix.
-The majority of the ROMs are stable. Some lack 90hz, may have a trouble with the auto-brightness or some other minor flaw but other than that they are stable. I usually go between Havoc, Lineage, Pixel Experience and Resurrection Remix.

Thank bud
Does widevine important ? What does it do ?
How do i know my phone is international version ? It unlocked but idk how to check it ?
12th September 2019, 01:41 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:

Thank bud
How do i know my phone is international version ? It unlocked but idk how to check it ?

I just know it impacts Netflix and maybe another streaming services resolution. As far as anything else major, I don't believe it is of major importance.
The GM1917 is the Global/US variant of OP7P. You can check by going to Settings > About. Should be under model.
12th September 2019, 07:06 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,887

More
See my responses below in red font:

Quote:

- any disadvantage if im root this device ? I read somewhere that after rooting, Netflix cant stream at 1080p and up, only 480p, is this true ?
First of all, Netflix only streams at maximum resolution of 720p to mobile devices. 1080p is only for smart TVs and PCs. Yes, it is true that if you unlock the bootloader, Widevine status will go to L3, and you will be limited to 480p on Netflix.
Is there any bugs like that after rooting ?
The Widevine status is intenational, not a "bug". Presumably to prevent piracy of DRM content.
Google Pay and most banking apps will work with root, if you use the Magisk Hide feature. Although I've seen reports of a few banking apps which apparently can sense the bootloader is unlocked. Nothing you can do about this, you need to keep the bootloader unlocked, if you want to be rooted. Locking the bootloader with a non-stock device will brick it.

OOS is pretty clean. Certainly nothing like the bloated mess that Samsung forces on its customers. There are a few OnePlus specific apps, such as OnePlus Weather, OP Community, OP Switch (for migrating data).
There a plenty of ROMs. Whether they are stable or not is somewhat subjective (most would say "yes") as it depends on what you use your phone for, what you define as stable, etc. There are plenty of existing ROM discussion threads, so please don't turn this into another "best ROM" thread. Just read the existing discussions, read the specific ROM threads, and make your own decision.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote:

Widevine is a streaming content DRM protection scheme. Netflix is certainly affected. There are a few other paid streaming services that may also be impacted (Hulu, Amazon Prime video), but I'm not sure on those. That should really be it, as far as the impact of Widevine on bootloader unlock/root.

I think the intent of Widevine is to prevent folks from using their device to rip video content, and distribute it. It's too bad that folks that are merely rooted, and don't engage in such activities, have to be punished with the throttled resolution.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)