TWRP and Magisk for OnePlus 7 Pro

Search This thread

dragancla

Feb 2, 2011
Bucharest
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hey folks :)

I'm expecting the phone in ~1 week and I'm counting on OnePlus to be OEM-unlocking friendly with this device, like they were in the past.
Magisk is probably universal so it should normally work without any extra releases from topjohnwu.
But do any of you know if there's been any work going on with TWRP development?

Thanks!

Last edited:
G

GuestK00177

It will be rooted by week's end without twrp.

All someone has to do is do a DD dump,, patch the kernel with magisk ,and flash in fastboot/ bootloader.

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
Phone isn't even out for most people and there's already a twrp/magisk availability thread lmao

dragancla

Feb 2, 2011
Bucharest
OnePlus 7 Pro
Phone isn't even out for most people and there's already a twrp/magisk availability thread lmao
I don't think that's fair, reviewers have had it for 2 weeks now, there's a video guide with how to unlock the bootloader in the development section (albeit it's the general way of doing it for years now, still good though), and what I asked was if someone had heard of any news of TWRP development going on, I'm not absurd to think it's already out.
Please rename your thread's subject. Really should have been thought out better.
What would I rename the thread subject to when asking about TWRP and Magisk in the Questions and Answers thread? :confused:

justibasa

Feb 6, 2011
Elk Ridge, UT
I don't think that's fair, reviewers have had it for 2 weeks now, there's a video guide with how to unlock the bootloader in the development section (albeit it's the general way of doing it for years now, still good though), and what I asked was if someone had heard of any news of TWRP development going on, I'm not absurd to think it's already out.

What would I rename the thread subject to when asking about TWRP and Magisk in the Questions and Answers thread? :confused:
Reviewers are not developers. Developers have to get their hands on it to develop for it and may not get it for weeks. Some people really need to learn patience.

ittina

May 9, 2013
So unlocking bootloader and using it as daily driver should be enough for now right?

There won't be data loss when we do get magisk?

dragancla

Feb 2, 2011
Bucharest
OnePlus 7 Pro
So unlocking bootloader and using it as daily driver should be enough for now right?

No, data will be lost only once, after unlocking the bootloader, so I suggest the first thing you should do when getting the phone is unlocking the bootloader.

A quick guide would be:
1. Go to Settings / About phone and tap on "Build number" 7 times.
2. Go to Settings / System / Developer options and turn on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
3. Connect the phone to your computer, open a terminal and type 'adb reboot bootloader' (assuming you are running cmd from the adb folder, or have bash profile setup accordingly).
4. Once the device is in Fastboot menu, type 'fastboot oem unlock', this will reset your phone to factory settings.
5. Reboot and then set up your device accordingly as you won't need to do this again later.
6. Download Magisk .zip file on your device from here: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

Once the correct TWRP for OP7 is released you can do the following steps:
7. Download the correct TWRP .img file to your computer and the correct .zip file to your device from here: https://twrp.me/Devices/OnePlus/
8. Connect the phone to your computer, open a terminal and type 'adb reboot bootloader'.
9. Once the device is in Fastboot mode open a terminal and type 'fastboot boot path_to_recovery_file_that_you_downloaded_at_step_6.img'.
10. Once the device is in Recovery mode tap on 'Install' and select the TWRP .zip file downloaded at step 7 and when it's finished reboot to 'Recovery' again.
11. Once the device is in Recovery mode again tap on 'Install' and select the Magisk .zip file downloaded at step 6 and, when it's finished, wipe cache and reboot to 'System'.

That's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ittina

dragancla

Feb 2, 2011
Bucharest
OnePlus 7 Pro
Since TWRP isn't available yet, couldn't we just unlock the bootloader and choose direct install in MM, to root?

That will probably just fail to install once in recovery. Worst case scenario you're soft bricked and need to factory reset.

One way to do it without custom recovery would be to get our hands on the boot image and patch it from Magisk's app.

EDIT: Someone already did this, follow this link https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-7-pro/how-to/guide-root-oneplus-7-pro-patched-boot-t3931205

Last edited:
Reactions: rickysidhu_

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The phone is just coming out. When people actually have the device, there will be a custom recovery and Magisk.
    EDIT: you had to be that person huh? Lol

No, data will be lost only once, after unlocking the bootloader, so I suggest the first thing you should do when getting the phone is unlocking the bootloader.

A quick guide would be:
    1. Go to Settings / About phone and tap on "Build number" 7 times.
    2. Go to Settings / System / Developer options and turn on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
    3. Connect the phone to your computer, open a terminal and type 'adb reboot bootloader' (assuming you are running cmd from the adb folder, or have bash profile setup accordingly).
    4. Once the device is in Fastboot menu, type 'fastboot oem unlock', this will reset your phone to factory settings.
    5. Reboot and then set up your device accordingly as you won't need to do this again later.
    6. Download Magisk .zip file on your device from here: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

Once the correct TWRP for OP7 is released you can do the following steps:
    7. Download the correct TWRP .img file to your computer and the correct .zip file to your device from here: https://twrp.me/Devices/OnePlus/
    8. Connect the phone to your computer, open a terminal and type 'adb reboot bootloader'.
    9. Once the device is in Fastboot mode open a terminal and type 'fastboot boot path_to_recovery_file_that_you_downloaded_at_step_6.img'.
    10. Once the device is in Recovery mode tap on 'Install' and select the TWRP .zip file downloaded at step 7 and when it's finished reboot to 'Recovery' again.
    11. Once the device is in Recovery mode again tap on 'Install' and select the Magisk .zip file downloaded at step 6 and, when it's finished, wipe cache and reboot to 'System'.

That's it.
    Since TWRP isn't available yet, couldn't we just unlock the bootloader and choose direct install in MM, to root?

That will probably just fail to install once in recovery. Worst case scenario you're soft bricked and need to factory reset.

One way to do it without custom recovery would be to get our hands on the boot image and patch it from Magisk's app.

EDIT: Someone already did this, follow this link https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-7-pro/how-to/guide-root-oneplus-7-pro-patched-boot-t3931205