FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Browsers getting camera permissions and accessing camera

3,486 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,755

By gorilla p, Recognized Contributor on 30th November 2019, 01:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Alright, this is a problem.
The first time I thought I accidentally pressed something, then it happened again and again.
I did some research and found multiple others running into the same problem while running stock OOS 10.

When browsing, I would randomly see/hear my aux camera pop open for a half second and close again.
This is obviously creepy
I found that both Firefox and Chrome had camera permissions that I did not explicitly give them. Also creepy.
So I disabled camera permissions and cleared cache. It stopped for a short period (maybe a week) and just now it happened again. Firefox has again somehow regained camera permissions and is accessing my camera while browsing.
Is this happening on other devices and it's just more obvious on our Aux cameras?

If there are any logs that I can provide that will assist in determining wtf is causing this and what is giving Firefox camera permissions, please let me know and I would be happy to provide them the next time this happens.
30th November 2019, 01:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 31

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla p

If there are any logs that I can provide that will assist in determining wtf is causing this and what is giving Firefox camera permissions, please let me know and I would be happy to provide them the next time this happens.

Get some logcat and upload with the post, lets see which activity is calling camera. If you don't know logcat look on xda how to capture it.
30th November 2019, 03:40 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

The first time I thought I accidentally pressed something, then it happened again and again.
I did some research and found multiple others running into the same problem while running stock OOS 10.

When browsing, I would randomly see/hear my aux camera pop open for a half second and close again.
This is obviously creepy
I found that both Firefox and Chrome had camera permissions that I did not explicitly give them. Also creepy.
So I disabled camera permissions and cleared cache. It stopped for a short period (maybe a week) and just now it happened again. Firefox has again somehow regained camera permissions and is accessing my camera while browsing.
Is this happening on other devices and it's just more obvious on our Aux cameras?

That's weird. I've persomally never had any browser try to use my camera without my permission.
30th November 2019, 03:55 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Milwaukee

Donate to Me
More
So strange enough, it happened right after I read this and was looking up a couple recommendations for apps to generate a logcat...
So I have alogcat installed...
Do I have to start the logging and try to reproduce the issue while it is recording? Is there any ways to have this constantly running and just take a copy of the log file when this happens again? It seems really sporadic
30th November 2019, 03:56 PM |#5  
Flag Milwaukee

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz205

That's weird. I've persomally never had any browser try to use my camera without my permission.

Check Firefox and Chrome and see if yours shows camera permissions granted
30th November 2019, 04:29 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

Check Firefox and Chrome and see if yours shows camera permissions granted

I use Bromite and the only permission I granted is storage permission.
30th November 2019, 06:58 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
The only time a browser asked me if I wanted to grant camera is when taking a picture to upload something on the spot (ie: imgur, Facebook)
1st December 2019, 09:10 AM |#8  
Flag Milwaukee

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz205

Same here. I haven't used anything like that recently, and definitely haven't granted permission after the first time this happened but they have been re-enabled multiple times, specifically with Firefox.
2nd December 2019, 08:47 AM |#9  
Flag Tampere
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Doesn't solve your problem at all, but I can say that has never happened to me.
I would suspect there is some other app installed or a Trojan that is triggering this behaviour.
Have you also ran some virus scan?
Try Malwarebytes and a couple more similar ones to get different signatures and see if they catch any odd app in there.
3rd December 2019, 01:34 AM |#10  
Flag Lexington,sc
Thanks Meter: 85

More
theres easy fix for this about:config they camera in search like pic hope that fixes it for you guys or oin Android settings apps , app permission click camera turn off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-193253.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	4892601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-200713.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	4892621  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)