FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What other modifications would you like a guide for?

Installing EdXposed

29 Vote(s)
32.58%
Dirty flashing a ROM

15 Vote(s)
16.85%
Recovering from a brick

45 Vote(s)
50.56%

[Guide] Bootloader unlock, TWRP install, Magisk root, and OTA for beginners

181 posts
Thanks Meter: 138

By Arden144, Senior Member on 17th June 2019, 02:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th June 2019, 03:34 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp

Section 1: Unlocking the bootloader (Windows Only)

<snip> Type followed by the enter key
I am curious about this step. For most all time with a phone that has an unlockable bootloader the command has always been:

Why do we use 'flashing' instead of 'oem' in that command for this phone?

Good question, actually. I'm not entirely sure why the wording change, but the command has been different on close to stock devices since the Nexus 6P/5X. If someone more knowledgeable could explain, that would be great

18th June 2019, 04:57 PM |#12  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,867

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden144

Code:
fastboot boot C:/Users/Arden/Desktop/twrp-3.3.1-3-guacamole.img

On earlier OOS versions, the command "fastboot boot" is broken, and this won't work. Process in that case is to flash a patched boot image, root with Magisk, and then flash TWRP like a Magisk module.

Your method works for those that have updated to more recent OOS versions. However, there are folks still out there with older OOS versions, where "fastboot boot" won't work (don't know the cutoff exactly).
18th June 2019, 06:26 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

On earlier OOS versions, the command "fastboot boot" is broken, and this won't work. Process in that case is to flash a patched boot image, root with Magisk, and then flash TWRP like a Magisk module.

Your method works for those that have updated to more recent OOS versions. However, there are folks still out there with older OOS versions, where "fastboot boot" won't work (don't know the cutoff exactly).

Thanks for the info. I'm not going to add the patched image way, as extracting the boot.img is annoying and I'm trying to avoid methods that rely on someone else providing files. However, I'll add a note to the TWRP install section asking for 9.5.7 minimum as everyone should be on that update by now
19th June 2019, 05:03 PM |#14  
Flag Bowling Green, Ky
Thanks Meter: 21

More
I hope this gets stickied. Thank you for the guide
19th June 2019, 11:27 PM |#15  
Flag Bowling Green, Ky
Thanks Meter: 21

More
just an update, fastboot flashing unlock didnt work for me, but fastboot oem unlock did
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yayodroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Yayodroid Ad-Free
20th June 2019, 06:22 PM |#16  
Flag Delluft
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayodroid

just an update, fastboot flashing unlock didnt work for me, but fastboot oem unlock did

For me also...the right command seems still fastboot oem unlock
21st June 2019, 12:57 AM |#17  
Flag Wollongong
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Is this method applicable to all versions ? Im getting the GM1910: China version , I have used this method when i had my OP6 so i just have to get the correct TWRP version, if the IMG boots the TWRP i guess the zip will be good to go when flashing .

Cheers
21st June 2019, 07:58 AM |#18  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayodroid

I confirm this. Tried this tutorial but was stuck at flashing stage. A YouTube video provided further assistance. Fastboot oem unlock worked.
21st June 2019, 11:28 AM |#19  
Flag everett
Thanks Meter: 3,138

More
I think it's great you're supplying these basics. Wish I had it when I first rooted first Android device (htc Evo 4g on sprint). Kudos.
21st June 2019, 02:27 PM |#20  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,867

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph1dft

For me also...the right command seems still fastboot oem unlock

I'm skeptical that the command "fastboot flashing unlock" is applicable for this device. I think it may just be a carryover from some other device(s). The original poster responsed that it is applicable to "close to stock devices since the Nexus 6P/5X" but never explicitly stated whether it even worked for him on the 7 Pro.

Far as I can tell "fastboot oem unlock" is the correct and only command on this, and other previous OnePlus devices (and is also the command that worked for me).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
22nd June 2019, 03:53 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
My apologies everyone. I thought I used flashing unlock when I unlocked my device, guess not. Guide is fixed and I'm very sorry for anyone who got stuck. Also, the official XDA YouTube video for this device makes the same mistake from what I remember... Slightly annoying as I checked this process with their video.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arden144 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Arden144 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)