FORUMS

[EXPERIMENTAL] About screen refresh rate

7,678 posts
Thanks Meter: 24,336

By C3C076, Recognized Contributor on 11th June 2019, 09:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
!!! WARNING !!!
Some of the users reported they are having issues with Google gestures / OOS gestures navigation after enabling mode 0 described below
and that the only way that worked to fix them was to perform a factory reset. Use at your own risk and always have a backup plan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While implementing a QS tile for switching screen refresh rate into GravityBox I came across some interesting facts during reverse engineering.
Refresh rate has in fact 3 modes already although settings app shows only 2 of them (60Hz/90Hz).
Code:
.field private static final ONEPLUS_SCREEN_REFRESH_RATE:Ljava/lang/String; = "oneplus_screen_refresh_rate"
.field private static final OP_60HZ_MODE_VALUE:I = 0x1
.field private static final OP_90HZ_MODE_VALUE:I = 0x0
.field private static final OP_AUTO_MODE_VALUE:I = 0x2
90Hz mode as can be seen in the settings is in fact mapped to AUTO_MODE (0x2) which most likely is the reason why we can observer some auto-switching which is
based on screen content (e.g. video playing, etc.). Using mode 0 should in theory enable full-time 90Hz without auto-switching.
I can't confirm exactly as I'm using it for a short period of time.

Anybody willing to experiment it should be possible to switch modes using adb shell:
Code:
adb shell settings put global oneplus_screen_refresh_rate [mode]
where [mode] is 0 for 90Hz, 1 for 60Hz and 2 for Auto mode

When using mode 0, none of the existing options in the settings will be selected.
Also, option summary text in Display settings will show 60Hz which is a bug - simply they did not account for a fact that somebody can change the value to something else from outside.
The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to C3C076 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift C3C076 Ad-Free
11th June 2019, 11:47 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 376

More
Thanks for the input mate, cheers.
11th June 2019, 11:55 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Tried the input but it didn't work. Maybe I missed something.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaKuRoZuMK2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MaKuRoZuMK2 Ad-Free
11th June 2019, 12:10 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKuRoZuMK2

Tried the input but it didn't work. Maybe I missed something.

adb command not recognized ? or dont see any changes ?

Once its activated, in settings - display - refresh rate , both options will not be selected .
11th June 2019, 12:12 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay666

adb command not recognized ? or dont see any changes ?

Once its activated, in settings - display - refresh rate , both options will not be selected .

Don't see any changes mate

ps. Running on Hydrogen OS 9.5.5 maybe it matters but it should not
11th June 2019, 12:19 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Mega improvement. We are in 90hz. Strange that in gui it set option to 2 (auto). They know it will consume 5 to 10% battery more
The Following User Says Thank You to thebigtross For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thebigtross Ad-Free
11th June 2019, 12:38 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKuRoZuMK2

Don't see any changes mate

ps. Running on Hydrogen OS 9.5.5 maybe it matters but it should not

Not sure then, its smooth on all apps now.
11th June 2019, 01:35 PM |#8  

More
Roll back to Oxygen OS and got it, nvm
11th June 2019, 02:02 PM |#9  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Bratislava
Thanks Meter: 24,336

Donate to Me
More
Also do not get mistaken by option in Settings app showing 60Hz when mode is set to full 90Hz.
It'a s bug in the Settings app - simply they did not account for a fact that somebody can change the value to something else from outside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C3C076 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift C3C076 Ad-Free
11th June 2019, 02:19 PM |#10  
Flag Doha
Thanks Meter: 109

Donate to Me
More
Thank u so much ....I noticed that the apps were stuttering while scrolling sometimes but now it's perfect (:
11th June 2019, 02:25 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
What's the recommended setting?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)