Overall love

Search This thread

sabrdawg

So far, based on the reveal, it ticks all the boxes for anything I'd ever want in a phone! The pop-up selfie cam is a great feature and allows for a FULL almost bezelless screen, and I'm looking forward to the warp charging, 90Hz display, battery capacity, improved vibration, high RAM and storage, and a price that's right for everything packed in it! As a dedicated Android geek and lover of phones, I can safely say this will be one I'll love :)

Lanaka

Aug 30, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the OnePlus 7 Pro, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the OnePlus 7 Pro is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Actually I have a question: I'm not really familiar with OnePlus and been hearing all the hoopla over the 7 Pro lately. I'm currently using a (bleep) unrootable Kyocera DuraForce Pro and am just about had it with the software issues I'm having with the phone that could've been fixable if it was rooted.

Overall, how good has OnePlus been regarding getting root on their phones?

Based on the specs I've been reading about the 7 Pro, it looks like an interesting option. HOWEVER, I require root so I can strip the crapware and slugwares and tweak the os itself to my performance requirements.

Last edited:

luisrm02

Sep 6, 2018
Picked mine up today from Miami and I'm in love ...turned in a Note 9 for it. Silky smooth, fast as hell and the screen is incredible.

Reactions: rp518dan
Based on the specs I've been reading about the 7 Pro, it looks like an interesting option. HOWEVER, I require root so I can strip the crapware and slugwares and tweak the os itself to my performance requirements.

I think you're in for a treat then.
OnePlus has always been very developer and community friendly. Their first phones actually shipped with CyanogenMod, the predecesor of LinageOS. That's the type of software people go trough hoops and loops to get, right out of the box.
Now they're using OxygenOS, which is their own android skin, and is pretty close to stock android. They also come with no OnePlus bloatware or duplicate apps.
Be careful not to get the T-Mobile variant tough, as I believe those do have a locked bootloader, which would make you unable to root or flash custom ROMs.

sabrdawg

I think you're in for a treat then.
OnePlus has always been very developer and community friendly. Their first phones actually shipped with CyanogenMod, the predecesor of LinageOS. That's the type of software people go trough hoops and loops to get, right out of the box.
Now they're using OxygenOS, which is their own android skin, and is pretty close to stock android. They also come with no OnePlus bloatware or duplicate apps.
Be careful not to get the T-Mobile variant tough, as I believe those do have a locked bootloader, which would make you unable to root or flash custom ROMs.

Yeah, T-mobile's variant of the 6T did indeed come with a locked bootloader. However, OnePlus did provide a bootloader unlock code that you could register for. The only caveat was that you had to be carrier unlocked, which you *technically* are not able to do until the device is paid off...BUT...after talking to T-Mobile reps, a lot of people, myself included, were granted the opportunity to carrier unlock their phones. For me, the rep basically said that if I paid two of my monthly installments upfront, they would unlock it for me. Of course, being the geek I am, albeit one with low patience for waiting to root, I obliged! Once I registered for the bootloader unlock code, I just had to wait a week to receive it. Man, was that the longest week ever, haha XD Then, all you have to do is follow the instructions on the OnePlus site as to how to enter it via ADB, and then "OEM unlock," and you're golden! :) I'm anxious to see how the 7 Pro will arrive out of the box.

vigneshnallamad

Aug 17, 2012
Oneplus 7 pro display is a feast to eyes

Fell for the display and have placed my order for op7pro today. I currently use s9 and was holding back from buying s10+ to see how op7pro would be. This phone feels well built and sturdy compared to s10+. Will post more once I receive the phone.

j0sh1

Oct 17, 2011
Just ordered mine. Only concern is if ill get a proper case for it as reviews say the curved edges are a bit too covered...?

MGomes78

Mar 31, 2017
Lodi
Just ordered mine. Only concern is if ill get a proper case for it as reviews say the curved edges are a bit too covered...?

I have the official OnePlus bumper case as well as the protective case and they both fit great with no coverage over the screen. Even with the bumper case there is a good 1mm gap between the case and visible screen.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

I have had the OP 7 Pro for over 24 hours now and am very pleased with it. The one main concern for me was the size, as I knew it would be quite a large phone with some good weight to it (coming from the Pixel 3). But honestly, it really isn't that bad. Everything so far has been excellent. The software is great as you would expect from OnePlus, photos look great (haven't taken too many yet to really get an honest opinion), screen and 90hz rate is just awesome. I am also quite impressed by the sound, I am really glad they stepped up their speakers on this device. I have read some concerns about battery life, but I started this day at full charge and currently have 56% left with 3 hrs 36 min of screen time (I have been on more than usual today since I have been playing with the device). However, this is great battery life for me as I try to get at least 30 min of screen usage out of every 10% battery droppage (that has been my go-to measurement for years). Overall, very happy with the purchase.

Reactions: Vishal333

android_master

Mar 11, 2010
Pune
Fell for the display and have placed my order for op7pro today. I currently use s9 and was holding back from buying s10+ to see how op7pro would be. This phone feels well built and sturdy compared to s10+. Will post more once I receive the phone.
I used S10+ for a month. Top notch camera experience be it stills or video.
How is this OnePlus 7 pro in camera department? Also it's >200g weight, isn't that too heavy?

theaxis01

Jun 13, 2018
Ordered mine today as well. My OP6 will be handed down to my oldest son. Added the premium bundle too. Extra charger, case, and type c buds are a nice addition.

vigneshnallamad

Aug 17, 2012
I used S10+ for a month. Top notch camera experience be it stills or video.
How is this OnePlus 7 pro in camera department? Also it's >200g weight, isn't that too heavy?

Oneplus lacks a bit compared to s10 in camera department as of now, but as seen before gcam app on one plus devices improves it a lot... So waiting for a working modded gcam app for this phone... Also weight is very well balanced and has a kind of sturdy feeling...

sabrdawg

...aaand I got mine this morning! Love it :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190517-125431.jpg
    Screenshot_20190517-125431.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 894
Reactions: fr0zentundra412
TMobile states the software updates will come from OnePlus...I'm not sure I believe this

Don't. OnePlus confirmed TMobile updates would be slower.

With an unlocked bootloader, would it possible to flash the non TMobile software and still recieve OTA updates? I heard TMobile is carrier unlocking financed phones upon request if you give 2 months as a down payment.

Shaquiel Harris

Feb 9, 2009
Los Angeles

With an unlocked bootloader, would it possible to flash the non TMobile software and still recieve OTA updates? I heard TMobile is carrier unlocking financed phones upon request if you give 2 months as a down payment.

I would suggest checking out the 6t forums, but if i remember as long as the device itself isn't different from the unlocked variant, (different bands, processor etc) once your on the regular stock rom, you should be able fine to receive OTA updates since it's the same device as an unlocked one.

The phone itself looks fantastic and i'm really close to pulling the trigger, but i'm on an s8 ( stock) and i have unfortunately grown accustomed to using Samsung Pay. It's almost unfair that google couldn't get MST for google pay, and even worse that i love using it.

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Ordered mine today as well. My OP6 will be handed down to my oldest son. Added the premium bundle too. Extra charger, case, and type c buds are a nice addition.
Same bundle i was looking at! i want to see if those bullet earphones are really as good as some claim.

Well I was at the store this morning and had it all ready to go til I found out that yet again the TMobile variant didn't have the second sim slot. Bummer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Comparison Opinions - OnePlus 7 Pro vs. OnePlus 6T

For background purposes, my last 5 phones:
    Samsung Note 7 > Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge > OnePlus 3T > OnePlus 6T (T-Mobile Version) > OnePlus 7 Pro (OnePlus Version)
    When I got the 3T, I thought it was the best Android phone I'd ever used. Then I got the 6T, and with the minor frustration of the fingerprint reader's often-slow unlock and the fact that I would wait months for updates to be pushed out from T-Mobile, I thought it was the best Android phone I've ever used. (I did have it OEM unlocked but for some reason never actually took advantage of it and stayed on stock software pushed out OTA by T-Mobile.)

I ordered my 7 Pro (Nebula Blue, 8GB RAM/256GB storage) last Tuesday night 5/21 and it was in my hands Friday 5/24 afternoon.
    Here are my thoughts on the phone as compared to my previous ones.

Physical Appearance and Feel:
    * This is a beautiful phone in Nebula Blue. The back of the phone is striking and I love the matte look. I find it sad that I have to immediately cover it with a glossy case that really reduces how nice it looks.
    * The phone is definitely heavy and large. The case I had on my 6T resulted in it being about the same size and a little heavier than the 7 Pro so I am not noticing any detriment here, but we'll see what happens once I have a more robust case on the 7 Pro.
    * I feel like the volume buttons are up a little too high on the side of the phone to be usable. From the teardown videos I've seen, it doesn't seem like there's a way around this design choice, unfortunately.
    * The fact that there are nearly no bezels and the edges of the display are curved, is resulting in some inadvertent touches to the top and sides of the display (I have yet to experience the "ghost touch" issue reported by some people; I've been able to trace back these inadvertent touches to the way I'm holding the phone at times). This will take some getting used to.
    * I am paranoid about holding and using the phone given the enormous screen. I think this will be better once I have a more protective case.

Performance:
    * There isn't much to say here. This is the fastest phone I have ever used or seen. Apps launch much faster than the 6T, and the 6T was no slouch.
    * I have noticed some very slight and intermittent graphical hesitation here and there, mostly when switching between recent apps. Most likely something a software update will fix at some point, and isn't an issue for me.

Screen:
    * The screen is -phenomenal-. The only area in which I wish it were a little better is outdoors use. While it's the most usable screen outside of the five phones listed above, it can still be hard to see on bright days, regardless of sun or clouds.
    * The 6T was the first phone where I felt OnePlus's clutch on the 1080p panel started to hurt it a little bit. The higher-resolution panel on the 7 Pro has thoroughly done away with that.
    * The 90Hz refresh rate is something you don't need until you have it. Now, going back to my 6T on the rare occasion I need to, feels a little barbaric.

Camera:
    * I thought the 6T camera was really good. I have taken a number of pictures in multiple modes with the 6T and the 7 Pro. I feel like the 6T gave sharper pictures, but one of the things I've noticed is that I can zoom in much further with the 7 Pro than I could with the 6T. I can't help but wonder if this is contributing to what people are noticing with mediocre shots along with the higher resolution panel, because the picture is pixelated at full zoom-in, but the phone smooths out the pixels and it's hard to detect unless you look closely. Until you do so, it just feels like the picture is not as crisp. When I compare pictures from the gallery on both phones, it seems like at the same zoom level, the sharpness is pretty comparable. (I am still on OOS 9.5.3 and have not yet received what is claimed to be the "DxOMark firmware version".)
    * The options available in the stock camera app are really impressive. I stumbled across the ability to zoom OUT with the main camera, as well as the ability to use the entire 48MP sensor without binning while in pro mode. I do miss the "JPG+RAW" option and hope they bring this back at some point - it seems to have been removed in favor of the 48MP mode.
    * The telephoto and wide angle lenses suffer in picture quality and I don't anticipate using them very much. Honestly, I wish they would have ditched them and used the extra space for a larger battery or larger sensor for the main camera.
    * The night mode is much faster, but feels like it softens photos and loses more detail than on the OnePlus 6T. Admittedly I didn't use it very much either.
    * The selfie camera is pretty quiet (when using it for Face Unlock, half the time I don't hear it raising). Picture quality seems okay, but I feel like it's not as good as the 6T. I believe this may be due to software post-processing, or possibly the higher-resolution screen emphasizing shortcomings in picture quality.

Battery Life:
    * Battery life feels noticeably reduced from the 6T. Obviously this is a more powerful phone, with more going on, a more power-hungry screen, etc. I wish they would have squeezed a little more battery into this phone.
    * I have noticed that certain chargers that charged my 6T pretty quickly, don't charge the 7 Pro nearly as quickly. I don't feel like this is related to the larger battery; it may be due to me using the phone while charging and that more power has to go towards the phone components, leaving less to charge the battery with. It could also be OnePlus limiting things with software and trying to push people towards the Warp accessories. /shrug

Biometric Security (Fingerprint Reader, Face Unlock)
    * The fingerprint reader has been improved substantially and noticeably over the 6T. With the 6T, I had to rely on Face Unlock a lot of the time because the fingerprint reader was often sluggish. I no longer feel like it's slower than Face Unlock on the 7 Pro and I don't feel like it's as finicky about placement (likely due to the larger sensor field). On the 7 Pro, the fingerprint unlock is once again my main unlock method.
    * Face Unlock is still pretty quick despite the additional time overhead to raise the selfie camera. It's not as fast as on the 6T but alongside the faster fingerprint sensor, I experience no frustration in unlocking my phone.

Data Transfer
    * Data transfer using the OnePlus Switch app wasn't completely seamless, but it backed up and transferred the most important of my data, and Google filled in the rest such as game progress, etc.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this phone. The camera quality hopefully will be improved by software updates going forward; OnePlus has put way too much effort in the engineering of this phone to leave the camera struggling, especially with the widespread public disappointment in it. Thankfully, I made the decision this time to buy direct from OnePlus instead of T-Mobile; after my experiences watching 6T users getting update after update while T-Mobile remained silent, I won't go the carrier route again.
    Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the OnePlus 7 Pro, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the OnePlus 7 Pro is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    So far, based on the reveal, it ticks all the boxes for anything I'd ever want in a phone! The pop-up selfie cam is a great feature and allows for a FULL almost bezelless screen, and I'm looking forward to the warp charging, 90Hz display, battery capacity, improved vibration, high RAM and storage, and a price that's right for everything packed in it! As a dedicated Android geek and lover of phones, I can safely say this will be one I'll love :)
    Made the leap to the OnePlus 7 Pro from a Note 9 8gb 512/Pixel 3Xl.

Was hard to let go of the Pixel camera, apart from that the rest of the phone was junk compared to the Note 9, call quality etc. Never realised how much other phones had progressed as I always purchased Pixels.

The OnePlus feels snappier then the Note 9, camera seems slightly better but still not as good as the Pixel. Maybe it's because I'm getting the phone after several updates have come out. Overall pleased with the limited testing on the camera I have done side by side with the other two.

Amazed how good the onscreen finger print reader is, had one on the Mate 20 Pro and didn't rate it.

This is definitely better then the Note 9 fingerprint reader and on par with the Pixel 3.

Screen on the OP7Pro is perfect, the Note 9 was great but felt like it was trying to burn your eyes out at night, Pixel 3 was also good apart from outside brightness.

The thing I like most about the OnePlus is it doesn't have all the duplicate software Samsung force on you. I booted via USB and uninstalled most of it.

Overall really happy with this phone, seems like the most rounded phone I have owned. Have had several Pixels, I can't see me going back unless the Pixel 4 is exceptional.

Update: After 24 hours one thing I do miss about the Note 9 is the shear amount of customisation you can do in One UI , for example on notifications I can individually customise to mute certain ones. on the Pixel and OnePlus all I can do is turn them off. I want to receive the notification but not have the sound. This is for. Dry specific work related things like Slack. I don't want to silence the phone all together.
    TMobile states the software updates will come from OnePlus...I'm not sure I believe this