FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MAGISK][MOD][OOS 9.5.11/13]Allow choosing Bromite as WebView Implementation

272 posts
Thanks Meter: 85

By bsimpson1, Senior Member on 4th August 2019, 11:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
IMPORTANT:
These modules contain modifed framework-res.apk's from Oxygen OS 9.5.11 and 9.5.13. It was taken from the international stock rom. I would not recommend trying this if you are not using either of these versions.
Be aware that if you have Chrome enabled, the system will automatically disable Bromite webview until you disable Chrome.
After flashing this your theme may be changed to light. All you need to do is go back to settings>display and choose the dark theme again one time.

DESCRIPTION:
This module contains a framework-res.apk with modified values in res/xml/config_webview_packages.xml to allow com.android.webview -- which is the package name used by bromite -- as one of the allowed webview providers. This has been tested to work when used in conjunction with the Bromite Systemless Webview module in magisk.

INSTALLATION:
Make sure you uninstall or at least disable the default (Chrome) webview package first. (I used the Debloater module from magisk to do this).
Make sure you have the "Bromite Systemless Webview" Magisk module installed.
Change the extension of the downloaded file to ".zip"
Flash the zip using magisk
Go to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> WebView Implementation and ensure that Bromite is chosen for WebView

UPDATES:
10/3/19
Working module for OOS 9.5.13 is now available. (OOS 10 version will eventually be released as well.)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bsimpson1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bsimpson1 Ad-Free
5th August 2019, 05:56 PM |#2  
Bay Area, CA
Thanks Meter: 247

More
This worked for Ice Bear. Ice Bear gives his thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ice Bear For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ice Bear Ad-Free
5th August 2019, 06:18 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 410

More
How is this different from the bromite webview magisk extension in the Xposed ? Is this a better implementation?
5th August 2019, 10:16 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd4life

How is this different from the bromite webview magisk extension in the Xposed ? Is this a better implementation?

I haven't used Xposed for a long time so i'm not sure which module you're referring to, but here is why I made this magisk module:

From what I've read and experienced, with OOS, even when Bromite WebView is installed as a system app, it's not used for webview because the framework-res.apk does not include com.android.webview as an allowed webview provider package. You can read about this in the bromite wiki under Verifying allowed webview packages.

This package is intended to work alongside the systemless bromite webview module by providing a framework-res that declares it an allowed webview provider package.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsimpson1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bsimpson1 Ad-Free
5th August 2019, 10:22 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 410

More
Got it!! Cool add on, it works perfectly. Thank you for the mod and the explanation. Very much appreciated
10th August 2019, 05:50 PM |#6  
Flag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks Meter: 1,536

More
This worked a treat after spending way too much time trying to remove Chrome (Debloater didn't work). Now everything is good, no ads, and working smoothly. Thanks!
11th August 2019, 03:21 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 87

More
Are you able to sync bromite with Google account?
11th August 2019, 03:43 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Is there a way to do this and still keep chrome?
11th August 2019, 05:40 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by netgar

Are you able to sync bromite with Google account?

I don't see an option for this, but I could be wrong
11th August 2019, 05:42 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spart0n

Is there a way to do this and still keep chrome?

I believe it would be fairly easy. I will release a version offering both when I am back at my computer which will probably be Monday
The Following User Says Thank You to bsimpson1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bsimpson1 Ad-Free
11th August 2019, 11:14 AM |#11  
Flag Birmingham, UK
Thanks Meter: 181

More
How do you tell if its working haha.

Installed both but can't see anything under webview. Chrome has been removed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guitarfreak26 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Guitarfreak26 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bromite, magisk, module, op7pro, webview

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)