FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[WIP] Enabling Google Pixel Call Screening and Native Visual Voicemail

70 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By stealth658, Member on 8th July 2019, 02:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm trying to get Pixel Call Screening and Native Visual Voicemail working on my GM1917. I'm on T-Mobile US, and my phone is rooted with Magisk on OOS 9.5.8. From the settings I changed, it seems like the Call Screening should work in the US and Canada, and maybe elsewhere also. And it seems like VVM should work on Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Tracfone, Freedom (CA), O2 (UK), and Swisscom.

So far, I've gotten the Voicemail tab to show up in the Google Phone app, but VVM won't activate on T-Mobile. And I've gotten Call Screening enabled with working transcription, but the Google Assistant voice is too quiet for the caller to hear. I'm hoping someone here can help me get these things working fully.

Requirements:
  • Root is necessary to make Google Phone a system app and to make the required mods to the XML file
  • Either the Pix3lify Magisk module, the Google Dialer Framework module (much lighter), or a modded Google Phone APK to install Google Phone
  • App Systemizer Magisk module
  • A root file explorer (I'm using Root Explorer)

Instructions:
  1. Install Google Phone (I used Google Phone 34.0.253691707 from APKMirror)
  2. Use App Systemizer Magisk module and Terminal Emulator to move Google Phone app to /system/priv-app/
  3. Reboot Phone (You may also have to freeze/disable the OOS native phone app)
  4. Force Stop Google Phone app
  5. Using a root file explorer, unzip and copy attached dialer_phenotype_flags.xml to /data/data/com.google.android/dialer/shared_prefs/ (You may have to set permissions to 0660 rw-rw----).
  6. Reboot your device (I've found that if you wait too long between Force Stopping, replacing the file, and rebooting, the Google Phone app will restart and override the changes)
  7. When you re-open Google Phone app, you should have Call Screen in the menu ( It won't show up unless you enable the Microphone permission) and the Voicemail tab accessible (You may have to delete the Carrier VVM app for it to show up)

Screenshots of Call Screen and VVM tab on OP7Pro

EDIT: Please read the thread to see how to use Preferences Manager to edit the XML. The changes seem to be more persistent when doing so. VVM seems to work only on the T-Mobile model, and the Call Screening Assistant volume issue remains
Attached Files
File Type: zip dialer_phenotype_flags.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.2 KB, 506 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stealth658 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stealth658 Ad-Free

8th July 2019, 04:13 AM |#2  
Flag Millford
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Finally!!! I thought I was alone! Hope to see where this goes I really miss Google visual voicemail
8th July 2019, 04:25 AM |#3  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Doesn't the "pixelfy" magisk module warn about bootloops on oxygen OS? Otherwise, wow, you got the screening to work, awesome! Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer on why the volume would be too low.
8th July 2019, 04:36 AM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm4nXD

Finally!!! I thought I was alone! Hope to see where this goes I really miss Google visual voicemail

You're not alone! I really want the Google visual voicemail and transcription. I feel like it's an issue with my phone/account because there was someone with a OnePlus 6T with a very similar mod that got it working on T-Mobile. I might just need to wipe and try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfire245

Doesn't the "pixelfy" magisk module warn about bootloops on oxygen OS? Otherwise, wow, you got the screening to work, awesome! Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer on why the volume would be too low.

It does give that warning, but I've had no issues with it. I've been using it since this phone first got Magisk. YMMV, of course.
8th July 2019, 05:42 AM |#5  
Flag Tampa

More
Attempted everything included in the tutorial but I used dialer framework. Sadly, I could not get anything to appear. What was used in the guide?

Edit: I noticed the modified xml is about 28kb. Before I replace the xml in my root, it's about 14kb. I'll replace the file, and restart, only to see, I have a 14kb file again. Is this the issue?
9th July 2019, 12:18 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
It worked for me. Google Visual Voicemail and Transcriptions! I got the Call Screen options but did not receive any calls to test out out. Here is the rub... Google Phone went to sleep last night with everything set. This morning it had reverted to the standard set of options. Visual Voicemail, (no Transcriptions), and no Call Screen.
9th July 2019, 03:55 PM |#7  
Flag Tampa

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfive

It worked for me. Google Visual Voicemail and Transcriptions! I got the Call Screen options but did not receive any calls to test out out. Here is the rub... Google Phone went to sleep last night with everything set. This morning it had reverted to the standard set of options. Visual Voicemail, (no Transcriptions), and no Call Screen.

I'm noticing a consistency on the app resetting itself.
9th July 2019, 05:02 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I would love to see if there was a way to keep the OOS Native call recording and get this as well...... any ideas?
9th July 2019, 05:12 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfire245

I'm noticing a consistency on the app resetting itself.

Can't seem to get it to re-enable after this morning either.
9th July 2019, 07:24 PM |#10  
Flag Tampa

More
It's very obvious we need dedicated development for this project to work. Perhaps making a bounty for the successful and repeatable modification to get call screening and maybe voicemail.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetfire245 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jetfire245 Ad-Free
10th July 2019, 05:10 AM |#11  
We can just make a Tasker profile guys. I made one back in the day to constantly keep material design 2 enabled. I'm working on one rn that will Auto enable dark mode for the Google apps at sundown and whatever other phenotypes or bugle changes i need to make. Including VVM and CS
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)