FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

OnePlus 7 (non-pro) without Dash Charger

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By NatalieThomas752, Junior Member on 11th September 2019, 04:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
G'day. I'm sure this might have been asked previously in regards to other phones but since OnePlus is using a slightly different approach in fast charging I thought this discussion has some relevance.

Theoretically, as with discharging, charging a battery quicker also will deteriorate its life-span overtime. I was wondering whether using the Fast Charger (Dash Charger) every time with the OnePlus 7 (non-pro) degrade the battery capacity eventually. Especially since I'm planning to keep this wonderful device for at least 3 years and then give it to someone in my family.

So whenever quick charging is not a necessity, Can we just use a generic 5V 1A or 2A charger (obviously, not a cheap knockoff one)? Also, to avoid compatibility issues, with a different charging cable too. I know that DashCharging will be disabled as a result. But, would using a third party charger cause problem on the device's electronics considering OnePlus uses a distinct approach for charging and its safety?

You may refer the links below for info regarding Fast Charging, Dash Charging, etc.

Will greatly appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
Cheers

Reference:
Fast Charging Explained:
https://www.androidauthority.com/fas...lained-889780/

What's Dash Charging?:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/opini...plus-3-2936209

Dash Charging & Cable inter-compatibility:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/com...charge_cables/
 
 
11th September 2019, 07:51 PM |#2  
strongst's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 4,932
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieThomas752

G'day. I'm sure this might have been asked previously in regards to other phones but since OnePlus is using a slightly different approach in fast charging I thought this discussion has some relevance.

Theoretically, as with discharging, charging a battery quicker also will deteriorate its life-span overtime. I was wondering whether using the Fast Charger (Dash Charger) every time with the OnePlus 7 (non-pro) degrade the battery capacity eventually. Especially since I'm planning to keep this wonderful device for at least 3 years and then give it to someone in my family.

So whenever quick charging is not a necessity, Can we just use a generic 5V 1A or 2A charger (obviously, not a cheap knockoff one)? Also, to avoid compatibility issues, with a different charging cable too. I know that DashCharging will be disabled as a result. But, would using a third party charger cause problem on the device's electronics considering OnePlus uses a distinct approach for charging and its safety?

You may refer the links below for info regarding Fast Charging, Dash Charging, etc.

Will greatly appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
Cheers

Reference:
Fast Charging Explained:
https://www.androidauthority.com/fas...lained-889780/

What's Dash Charging?:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/opini...plus-3-2936209

Dash Charging & Cable inter-compatibility:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/com...charge_cables/

You can simply use any mobile phone compatible power source that net the requirements as the phone will recognize the power source and limit the current itself.
The oneplus dash charge is a way more device friendly since there's no step down converter within the device which produces heat and may get damaged.
The Following User Says Thank You to strongst For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift strongst Ad-Free
12th September 2019, 02:31 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongst

You can simply use any mobile phone compatible power source that net the requirements as the phone will recognize the power source and limit the current itself.
The oneplus dash charge is a way more device friendly since there's no step down converter within the device which produces heat and may get damaged.

That's good to know. Appreciate the answer.
12th September 2019, 02:43 PM |#4  
Wolfillete's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
From my experience, I've just dumped my OP3 because the earpiece degradation (3 years with it). Otherwise still works like a charm and battery life decreased no more than any other phone with regular battery charging in 3 years.

Dash/warp charge is very well design, with a constant voltage the battery lifespan incresases as you can read in this article: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

I think batteries with QC wich increases voltage will last less than Oneplus ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfillete For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wolfillete Ad-Free
13th September 2019, 05:27 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfillete

Otherwise still works like a charm and battery life decreased no more than any other phone with regular battery charging in 3 years.

By "regular battery charging", do you mean dash charging only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfillete

I think batteries with QC wich increases voltage will last less than Oneplus ones.

That's true. For the lifespan of the battery Dash/Warp Charging has better advantage.
13th September 2019, 06:34 AM |#6  
strongst's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 4,932
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieThomas752

By "regular battery charging", do you mean dash charging only?

That's true. For the lifespan of the battery Dash/Warp Charging has better advantage.

I mean every common USB charging port/charger within the specifications.

And no, the other quick charge technologies will not give a higher voltage to the battery. It's been stepped down within the device and then transfered to the the battery Lithium batteries will get damaged if the voltage is higher than 4.2V.
The Following User Says Thank You to strongst For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift strongst Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes