FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to flash Android 10 with working TWRP and Magisk

1,228 posts
Thanks Meter: 512
 
By Kollachi, Senior Member on 3rd September 2019, 09:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello guys,

i saw there some questions about TWRP and android 10. So far you cant boot TWRP on android 10. It doesnt matter Q BETA DP4, 5 or OB1.
Mauronofrio is already informed about that. There is some work needed to fix that.

But there is a way to flash TWRP with Magisk! I already posted that a few times in TWRP thread and opened this thread now. So it's easier to find it.

You will need to have magisk on your phone to do this!

UPDATING FROM ANDROID 9:

1. Install Android 10 trough local Updater AND DONT REBOOT HERE
2. Flash TWRP trough Magisk
3. Install magisk to inaktiv Slot (after OTA)
4. REBOOT NOW

With OB1 it also works the usual way:
1. Boot into TWRP and Flash OB1
2. Flash TWRP Installer.zip
3 Reboot directly into recovery
4. Flash Magisk and reboot system


COMING WITH ANDROID 10 NON ROOT:

1. Extract the boot.img of payload.bin inside the update.zip (use this tool for it LINK <--- thanks @tidschi)
2. Patch the boot.img with Magisk
3. Flash it with fastboot and reboot
4. Flash TWRP with magisk
5. Install Magisk and reboot



COMING WITH ANDROID 10 AND ROOT:

1. Flash TWRP with magisk
2. Install magisk and reboot





Thanks @tidschi for correcting me (patching boot.img) and screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Install-Magisk-Universal-Systemless-Interface-Patch-Boot-Image.jpg
Views:	1496
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	4814808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190903-225744.jpg
Views:	1322
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	4815009  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kollachi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kollachi Ad-Free
 
 
3rd September 2019, 09:31 PM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

Hello guys,

i saw there some questions about TWRP and android 10. So far you cant boot TWRP on android 10. It doesnt matter Q BETA DP4, 5 or OB1.
Mauronofrio is already informed about that. There is some work needed to fix that.

But there is a way to flash TWRP on it before booting into android 10 system! I already posted that a few times in TWRP thread and opened this thread now. So it's easier to find it.
All you need is magisk installed on your phone to do this!

1. Install Android 10 trough local Updater AND DONT REBOOT HERE
2. Flash TWRP trough Magisk
3. Install magisk to inaktiv Slot (after OTA)
4. REBOOT NOW

I tried it myself and it worked great. There are some users who confirmed its working.

Thanks for guide. So I am now in op1 without root and twrp. I assume I have to downgrade to 9.5.8, there flash twrp and magisk, than install op1 again and flash twrp etc as you write?
3rd September 2019, 09:35 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek.N

Thanks for guide. So I am now in op1 without root and twrp. I assume I have to downgrade to 9.5.8, there flash twrp and magisk, than install op1 again and flash twrp etc as you write?

No, just patch boot.img from OB1 with Magisk.
Afterwards flash patched boot.img with fastboot and after that you can flash TWRP with Magisk.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

Yes. So far there is no other way.

Sure there is, see above
3rd September 2019, 09:38 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidschi

No, just patch boot.img from OB1 with Magisk.
Afterwards flash patched boot.img with fastboot and after that you can flash TWRP with Magisk.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------



Sure there is, see above

ok thanks will try tomorrow
3rd September 2019, 09:39 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

Sure but first you will need to have a patched boot.img

You said it's not possible, but it is?!
Where is the problem to extract ROM with payload dumper and patch boot.img with Magisk?
I see no problem here... definitely less work then going back to PIE...
3rd September 2019, 09:40 PM |#6  
Kollachi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 512
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek.N

ok thanks will try tomorrow

Please report if its working with patched boot.img.
I dont have the device anymore.
3rd September 2019, 09:42 PM |#7  
Kollachi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 512
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidschi

You said it's not possible, but it is?!
Where is the problem to extract ROM with payload dumper and patch boot.img with Magisk?
I see no problem here... definitely less work then going back to PIE...

Yes i forgot about it. Lol
3rd September 2019, 09:44 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

Please report if its working to flash TWRP with patched boot.img.
I dont have the device anymore.

It will, did this with latest DP, because it wasn't possible to boot TWRP with fastboot.
Was the only way in that case.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

Please report if its working to flash TWRP with patched boot.img.
I dont have the device anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

Yes i forgot about it. Lol
But as i said... First you will need to patch it. But if you dont have magisk installed on your phone good luck. There is someone needed to do that for you.

No...you just need Magisk Manager and stock boot.img...
The Following User Says Thank You to tidschi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tidschi Ad-Free
3rd September 2019, 09:45 PM |#9  
Kollachi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 512
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidschi

It will, did this with latest DP, because it wasn't possible to boot TWRP with fastboot.
Was the only way in that case.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------





No...you just need Magisk Manager and stock boot.img...

Ah ok thanks. Never did it that way.
3rd September 2019, 09:50 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

Ah ok thanks. Never did it that way.

Np, was for me also first time to do it this way.
Everyone can extract stock boot.img from payload file with this tool:
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=818070582850510260

Then simple flash the extracted boot.img with Magisk and flash with fastboot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190903-224858.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	4814796  
The Following User Says Thank You to tidschi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tidschi Ad-Free
3rd September 2019, 09:52 PM |#11  
Kollachi's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 512
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidschi

Np, was for me also first time to do it this way.
Everyone can extract stock boot.img from payload file with this tool:
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=818070582850510260

Then simple flash the extracted boot.img with Magisk and flash with fastboot.

I have updated the OP now. Thanks dude. (Danke für das Korrigieren!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kollachi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kollachi Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 10, android q, beta, twrp

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes