Thanks Meter: 5,244

By strongst, Forum Moderator on 4th August 2019, 09:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */
Introduction
This thread is dedicated to newbies and rooting, so if you're familiar with the whole procedure, you're done
Just ask questions about every step and you'll receive help!

Downloads
TWRP Installer ZIP and TWRP Installer IMG(download both, check for Pie or Q TWRP!): https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...overy-t3932943
Magisk ZIP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

1. Unlocking Bootloader, TWRP, Root
Before proceeding
  • Your Windows PC should alredy recognized your device with the USB cable
  • Use an USB cable provided with the phone
  • Make sure your Windows Explorer is set up to have file extensions enabled to avoid file name issues
  • This process will FORMAT/WIPE/DELETE your internal storage and every file of your phone, so please back it off your device at first!

Steps for unlocked bootloader with TWRP AND Root(Magisk)

1. Follow this guide to unlock your Oneplus 7 bootloader(wipes everything on your device, works for OP7 pro and OP7): https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...64&postcount=2.
2. Your phones bootloader is now unlocked, leave the phone plugged to your PC
3. Make sure you have enabled USB-Debugging and Advanced Reboot under developer options(see step 1 how to enable it all) again after the first boot of the wiped device, since this gets reset
4. Copy the latest "TWRP installer ZIP" and "Magisk ZIP" to the phones internal storage.
5. Copy the "TWRP Installer IMG" to the "platform-tools" folder from step 1.
6. Open command window or PowerShell window again if you did not closed it before within the "platform-tools" folder from step 1
7. Type
Code:
adb devices
to see if your device is connected and recognized sucessfully by your PC.
8. Type
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
to reboot to fastboot mode.
9. Type
Code:
fastboot boot recoveryimgfilename.img
to temporary boot TWRP, where recoveryimgfilename.img is the name of your downloaded TWRP *.img file, so watch your file name!.
10. Enter your screen lock PIN within TWRP if you have set it up before.
11. Allow modifications.
12. Now you have temporary booted twrp recovery. To make is stick permanently you need to flash the "TWRP installer ZIP" from your phones storage from step 4.
13. Hit "install" and navigate to the "TWRP installer ZIP" file and select it for installation(dont boot the system now!).
14. Go back and flash "Magisk ZIP" the same way as for TWRP Zip otherwise your device will not boot!
15. Thats all, you can unplug the USB cable and boot the device to your system. Your device is now bootloader unlocked with TWRP and Magisk

Steps for unlocked bootloader with TWRP WITHOUT Root(Magisk)
1. Follow this guide to unlock your Oneplus 7 bootloader(wipes everything on your device, works for OP7 pro and OP7): https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...64&postcount=2.
2. Your phones bootloader is now unlocked, leave the phone plugged to your PC
3. Make sure you have enabled USB-Debugging and Advanced Reboot under developer options(see step 1 how to enable it all) again after the first boot of the wiped device, since this gets reset
4. Copy the latest "TWRP installer IMG" to the phones internal storage.
5. Copy the latest "TWRP Installer IMG" to the "platform-tools" folder from step 1.
6. Open command window or PowerShell window again if you did not closed it before within the "platform-tools" folder from step 1
7. Type
Code:
adb devices
to see if your device is connected and recognized sucessfully by your PC.
8. Type
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
to reboot to fastboot mode.
9. Type
Code:
fastboot boot recoveryimgfilename.img
to temporary boot TWRP, where recoveryimgfilename.img is the name of your downloaded TWRP *.img file, so watch your file name!.
10. Enter your screen lock PIN within TWRP if you have set it up before.
11. Allow modifications.
12. Now you have temporary booted twrp recovery. To make is stick permanently you need to flash the "TWRP installer IMG" from your phones storage from step 4
13. Navigate to advanced menu within TWRP, click on "Install Recovery Ramdisk" and select the "TWRP installer IMG". This will patch the boot image which does Magisk otherwise.
14. Thats all, you can unplug the USB cable and boot the device to your system. Your device is now bootloader unlocked with TWRP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. OTA UPDATE
Steps for UPDATE OxygenOS via OTA and keep unlocked bootloader, TWRP, Root(Magisk)

1. [OPTIONAL, but highly recommended]Backup everything in case of issues!
2. Go to Magisk Manager App and uninstall all modules
3. Go to Android settings -> system -> system update and hit "Download & Install Now", don't reboot yet!
4. Flash twrp.zip within Magisk Manager App like a Module: Magisk Manager App -> Menu -> Modules "+". This installs TWRP to both a/b partitions.
5. Install Magisk via Magisk Manager App again: Magisk Manager App -> hit install after your Magisk version -> hit again install -> hit "install to inactive slot"
6. Reboot your device
7. Reinstall your Magisk Modules
Your device is now updated via OTA and you keep TWRP and Root

If you have any issues, just feel free to ask!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to strongst For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift strongst Ad-Free
4th August 2019, 09:30 PM |#2  
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 611

Donate to Me
More
@strongst you should maybe write in your guide that magisk flash is a must! Without phone won't boot if it's stock.
There are a lot of people who wanna flash TWRP without magisk. I don't know why they do that it makes no sense for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kollachi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kollachi Ad-Free
4th August 2019, 09:51 PM |#3  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

@strongst you should maybe write in your guide that magisk flash is a must! Without phone won't boot if it's stock.
There are a lot of people who wanna flash TWRP without magisk. I don't know why they do that it makes no sense for me.

I made it a little bit more clear, thanks, that's an common issue across several devices and requested often enough
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongst For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift strongst Ad-Free
6th August 2019, 12:07 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thank you for the quick tutorial. For me it looks very similar to the procedure with the OnePlus 5, am I right?

Does this indicate, that an EFS Backup is also to create the same way? https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...-twrp-t3624877

BR
Axel
6th August 2019, 12:15 PM |#5  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelM

Thank you for the quick tutorial. For me it looks very similar to the procedure with the OnePlus 5, am I right?

Does this indicate, that an EFS Backup is also to create the same way? https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...-twrp-t3624877

BR
Axel

There's something different after unlocking the bootloader(which is the same). Twrp and magisk installation is different due to treble.

For EFS you can backup with twrp or local terminal

dd if=/dev/block/sdf2 of=/sdcard/modemst1.bin bs=512
8th August 2019, 04:03 PM |#6  
Flag Portland

More
Thanks for the guide, my OnePlus 7 came with 9.5.5 and I want to clean flash to the latest 9.5.8. I have already unlocked the bootloader, boot into TWRP and installed TWRP, are these the correct steps to flash 9.5.8 as I'm confused with the A/B partition?

1. Wipe data, cache, system and internal storage
2. Flash 9.5.8 signed flashable zip
3. Flash kernel and Magisk or the other way round?
8th August 2019, 04:12 PM |#7  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camack

Thanks for the guide, my OnePlus 7 came with 9.5.5 and I want to clean flash to the latest 9.5.8. I have already unlocked the bootloader, boot into TWRP and installed TWRP, are these the correct steps to flash 9.5.8 as I'm confused with the A/B partition?

1. Wipe data, cache, system
2. Flash 9.5.8 signed flashable zip
3. Flash kernel and Magisk or the other way round?

2. Flash 9.5.8 signed flashable zip with current twrp
3. Flash twrp installer zip with current twrp
4. Flash magisk zip with current twrp
5. Reboot

Make sure not to FORMAT internal data, otherwise you wipe the files you want to flash as it formats sdcard
8th August 2019, 04:52 PM |#8  
Flag Portland

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongst

2. Flash 9.5.8 signed flashable zip with current twrp
3. Flash twrp installer zip with current twrp
4. Flash magisk zip with current twrp
5. Reboot

Make sure not to FORMAT internal data, otherwise you wipe the files you want to flash as it formats sdcard

Thanks, so I boot into TWRP first and then do step 1 and 2? Also, which step should I flash custom kernel?
8th August 2019, 04:58 PM |#9  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camack

Thanks, so I boot into TWRP first and then do step 1 and 2? Also, which step should I flash custom kernel?

You need to do all steps. I recommend to flash the custom kernel when you've sucessfully booted the device at first.
16th August 2019, 11:39 AM |#10  
Flag Navi Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 524

More
Hi, a new OP7 User here. I wanted to know how can i keep my data decrypted? i have installed TWRP but i want to decrypt my data and also keep it the same after updated newer updates. Is it possible? I was able to do it on my OP3T, so wanted to know if its possible on OP7 as well
16th August 2019, 12:02 PM |#11  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by murti52

Hi, a new OP7 User here. I wanted to know how can i keep my data decrypted? i have installed TWRP but i want to decrypt my data and also keep it the same after updated newer updates. Is it possible? I was able to do it on my OP3T, so wanted to know if its possible on OP7 as well

This should work https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...crypt-t3817389
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)