Screen on time

Search This thread

pycxe-01

Feb 22, 2011
Oulu
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 8T
As complementary information, expanded screenshots

Did you keep Wi-Fi always on throughout this battery discharge cycle? I can't see anything extraordinary in your app battery usage here.

Would you consider using some battery analysing app to check idle drain issue?

Are you currently on OOS 9.5.8? Did you ever perform Factory Reset since you've bought your OP7? Did you have similar battery drain issues on previous versions of OOS?

rafael667

Nov 12, 2012
Did you keep Wi-Fi always on throughout this battery discharge cycle? I can't see anything extraordinary in your app battery usage here.

Would you consider using some battery analysing app to check idle drain issue?

Are you currently on OOS 9.5.8? Did you ever perform Factory Reset since you've bought your OP7? Did you have similar battery drain issues on previous versions of OOS?

No. wifi on just when I use it.

I installed an app to see that. I'll post screenshots tomorrow to collect more stats.

I'm on OOS 9.5.8. Yes, I've performed Factory Reset. Yes, had similar battery drain. It's the second phone I have. I requested a Replacement.

rafael667

Nov 12, 2012

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190911-135748.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-135748.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Screenshot_20190911-135756.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-135756.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 422
  • Screenshot_20190911-135807.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-135807.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 413
  • Screenshot_20190911-135819.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-135819.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Screenshot_20190911-135859.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-135859.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 345

rafael667

Nov 12, 2012
What can I say? You've got to check your display/screen settings: Settings --> Display --> Ambient display - What do you use here?

I'm have only active the touch on the screen to wake and notifications turn the screen on.

As you see in the screenshot, the phone is in doze mode and still have a huge battery drop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190911-184230.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-184230.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 381
  • Screenshot_20190911-184054.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-184054.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 375

rafael667

Nov 12, 2012
What can I say? You've got to check your display/screen settings: Settings --> Display --> Ambient display - What do you use here?

I've disabled all the Ambient display features and still had a battery drain overnight.
I really don't know how can it be. I had 3 oneplus 7 in my hands and all came with the same problem. I tried all, including several factory reset and hard reset, battery calibration.
I'm out of options. I appreciate so much if someone can help me out.

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze
I've disabled all the Ambient display features and still had a battery drain overnight.
I really don't know how can it be. I had 3 oneplus 7 in my hands and all came with the same problem. I tried all, including several factory reset and hard reset, battery calibration.
I'm out of options. I appreciate so much if someone can help me out.
I recommend to to follow this https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-7/help/screen-time-gm1900-t3963223/post80175207

hugulugu

Sep 7, 2010
OnePlus 7, GM1900 with AA firmware
Autobrightness dissabled
Only WhatsApp not optimized
Ambient display on
Only one SIM in use

I work as Uber Driver and even there with Waze and Uber Driver app the phone gives me 7 hours of SOT. My previous phone (Umidigi Z2 Pro) only gave me 4 or 5 hours of SOT at most.

This is the best phone I ever had, the SOT is amazing. I love this phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190910-222216.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-222216.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 848

rafael667

Nov 12, 2012
Please read the instructions carefully what requirements a idle dump must met. It's more than 6h of idling time and you should save the dump right after the wakeup within a few seconds.

Sorry. Now it's 12h idle to make sure and it consumed 9%.

Attachments

• BetterBatteryStats-2019-09-14_131619646.txt
    123.6 KB · Views: 17

rafael667

Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for the dump file, but your

Screen On time (): 9 m 3 s 1.3% is too high. It should be only some seconds as you should immediately save the dump after wake up, nothing more.

Please provide a new one :)
It was because of before I collect data.
Should I restart the phone and then let it idle for more than 6 hours?

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze
Thanks for the dump file. The 0.7%/h isn't that bad, it can be improved by having a look at your phones signal:

Poor Signal (): 12 h 34 m 28 s 100.0%

That's the main culprit imo. You'll have to check your signal strength and either switch to another band or better location/provider.

rafael667

Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for the dump file. The 0.7%/h isn't that bad, it can be improved by having a look at your phones signal:

Poor Signal (): 12 h 34 m 28 s 100.0%

That's the main culprit imo. You'll have to check your signal strength and either switch to another band or better location/provider.

So without the bad signal consumed 0.7%? The others dump files the signal was moderated and poor.
I tried with another SIM card and that solved the problem. Finally, after 3 oneplus phones, the problem is the SIM card :D
Thank you for your help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ohh you got me wrong there. You've posted your screenshots above, I saw them and I trust you. What screenshots I am asking for are the tweaks that you've done in your governor settings and boost scheduling.

I run this script on start up in FKM:

#!/system/bin/sh

sysctl -w kernel.sched_upmigrate="80 80"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_tunable_scaling="2"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_downmigrate="60 60"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_latency_ns="800000"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_schedstats="0"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_min_task_util_for_boost="70"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns="200000"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns="0"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_autogroup_enabled="0"

sysctl -w kernel.sched_upmigrate="80 80"

I need to set sched_upmigrate twice because it doesn't set when ran just once in the script. I also set the schedutil governor down_migrate_ns to 40000 and up_migrate_ns to 10000 on little, big and prime cores, I change vfs pressure to 20, entropy write wake up threshold to 128 and swappiness to 1, under i/o scheduler tunables I edit nr_requests to 32 and turn off i/o stats. That's all I change. And that's how I get 12-13 hour SOT times, I also charge my phone powered off when I notice unusual drain from 100%, like sometimes in the morning I'll notice that the phone drops from 100% to like 97% within minutes, when I drain it down to about 5% I'll power it off and let it charge fully powered off, then turn it on and let it settle while plugged in and then unplug and use as normal, for about 3-4 charge cycles it'll be fine and then start losing charge abnormally fast after unplugging so I do a powered off charge to fix it. I should mention also that I haven't upgraded the Google app, I have its and YouTube's (I used YouTube Vanced magisk module) auto update ticked off under the settings (3 dots) menu for those apps in the play store. They sometimes do still update, I'll notice that YouTube Vanced becomes normal YouTube app and I know Google got updated too so I go to the play store and uninstall from there which reverts them back to the original versions. I don't let Google app update because some new features they come up with raise the idle drain, and since I don't use it or the assistant that much I don't care to have the latest Google app version. All other social media apps are updated to their latest version. If you have Instagram I would recommend you deny it location access because it wakes the phone up quite often to check location, even if you set it to "only while using this app" somehow it has permission to start a foreground service and it uses that to check location with the stricter permission applied when you're not using it, it can't get around the deny permission.
    If you're worried about lag, you can either turn on the prefer.idle option in stune boost for top-app (better response but more power drain), or set top-app stune boost to 5 (acceptable response with less battery drain). If you are gonna use a custom kernel and tweak these settings go and check that cpu sets under /dev/stune/audio-app etc have schedtune.prefer_idle set to 0, this is by far the biggest battery drainer, it tells the task scheduler to prefer to run tasks on idle cores for whatever group those tasks are in, in many custom kernels this is usually turned on for foreground tasks, top-app tasks and sometimes background tasks. An article I read when researching this said that in the tests that the developers performed turning off prefer.idle and enabling stune.boost for those groups yelded same response latency with a 15% reduction in power use. Good luck with your tweaking!
    Consistent 10 hour screen on time!

I'm on Android 10, OOS 10.3.0.GM57AA rooted with tweaked stock kernel and I get consistent 10 hr screen on time (12 was my personal best) with full overnight charging every other night, I can definitely get 5 hrs sot before 50% battery drain, I'm not running any mods that force gms battery optimization, or apps that force hibernate stuff or modify doze settings, my usage is moderate with mixed WiFi and mobile data usage. According to fk kernel manager's battery monitor my active use is between 6.50% and 7.50% per hour (down from above 10% per hour before tweaks) and my idle use is between 0.35% and 0.55% per hour (down from over 1.50% per hour). I know everyone's usage is different but I think my tweaks should help most people. I'm a car mechanic by trade and love solving problems, and while this phone's battery life is a huge improvement over my essential ph-1 I still thought it could be better. I began my journey with custom kernels like most of you, then I began to note down differences between settings that each kernel had and from there deduced which ones affected power efficiency, I studied what settings the Lspeed magisk modeule made. After all this I began researching what those settings actually did, I poured over Google's device git, I read Linux kernel case studies about the schedutil scheduler and its settings and that's how I came up with my tweaks. I think where people get lost is in the timer settings, the processor's time dialation is different from ours and maybe that's where people get confused with the different nanosecond timers and what effect they have on our perception. I used the time of the average blink of an eye, 100 ms, as my reference point for modifying the scheduler timers, I think that for most use case scenarios google has grossly reduced timers to reduce latency which is supposed to battle lag, in my opinion this creates a lot of overhead that eats into power consumption, calculations are done way too many times before we even see a change on our screen. That's when I set out to reach a balance in timer settings that will let the CPU do what it needs to do in our perceived time instead of its perceived time, I based my settings around milliseconds instead of nanoseconds and it really made a difference. I hope someone with more understanding reads this and can further improve on this concept or prove it wrong. I really would like to share my settings and screenshots and my reasoning, but it's a lot of work with my already busy day to day life. I will do it if there is enough interest especially from someone who has a more intimate knowledge of the Linux EAS kernel.
    Thanks a lot man really!!
    I can't comment on the overnight drain cause I had a fresh oos install yesterday from a custom rom with the latest Google app and the overnight idle drain was surprisingly low at about 2% for around 8 hours.
    I'm using blue spark kernel and not stock.

That's great!

I'm gonna add one last note about the task scheduler kernel.sched_tunable_scaling. There are three values available, but FKM only allows two for enable and disable. That's why I use a script. The three values are 0 for off, 1 for logarithmic scaling of scheduler values based on load, and 2 for linear tuning of values based on number of cores. With my settings that I have I noticed that 1 improves performance quite a bit with a penalty to power consumption, but even with severe underclocking of the cpu cores with 1 apps launch faster than I've ever experienced on any device, and the overall response of the device is super fast. With sched_tunable_scaling set to 2 is where I noticed the power savings, the device behaves normal, but my active use usually hovers at around 6.5% to 7.5% per hour.
    Can you please help me..by sharing steps to optimise the battery..please send it on chandanthakurit@gmail.com.

I will be very thankful to you.

Regards,
    Chandan
    Why should anybody sent you a mail when you can search and learn from the forum?
    XDA is for knowledge sharing, it's not a personal help desk ;)
    The last 1% died after further 19 mins...

Oh!mazing