FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Stuttering/frame skip while scrolling [Oxygen Os 10 BUG on all OnePlus 7T/7TPRO/7PRO]

812 posts
Thanks Meter: 963

By Tex99, Senior Member on 30th November 2019, 12:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
BUG:
There is always a stuttering/frame skip while scrolling on every Oneplus 7T/7TPRO/7PRO with Android 10, on every app and every time you scroll.
1) This is the complete video and here the stuttering is so visible, moreover you can see how to reproduce it (watch it on pc at full quality 1080p60 and full screen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RUf5DP3-qU
2) If you watch this slowmotion video you can see how the written "Batteria" (when it appears stutter in red) does a sort of jump because of frame skip (I also added a frame count so you can be sure that the video is original): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGbqj29EXhI
3) I did other test on my 7T with "Profile Rendering HWUI" and as you can see from the screenshots, If you do little scrolls there are serious frames drop (see the spikes):
Attachment 4913573
4) Here you can support the feedback I sent: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/s...ll-7t.1171252/

HOW TO REPRODUCE:
-90hz (more visible) or 60hz
-Light theme (also with dark but it's easier too see on light)
-Animation 0.5 or 1 (it's the same)
-Open settings and do little scroll with the finger (don't leave the finger on display)
-Look at the written texts ("Battery" fro example): they don't do a fluid transition up or down, they don't flow on the screen, but they "appear-disappear", it seems that they jump some pixels. Infact there is multiple frame skip every time that you scroll.

TEST:
Tests I did on both 60hz and 90hz and light theme (easier to see than dark mode) on settings app:
1- Oneplus 7T frosted silver OOS 10.0.6/10.0.7: stuttering is PRESENT
2- Oneplus 7T frosted silver OOS 10.0.1: stuttering is PRESENT
3- Oneplus 7T glacier blu OOS 10.0.1: stuttering is PRESENT
4- Oneplus 7T glacier blu OOS 10.0.1: stuttering is PRESENT
5- Oneplus 7T PRO OOS 10: stuttering is PRESENT
6- Oneplus 7 PRO OOS 10.0.2: stuttering is PRESENT
7/8- Oneplus 7 PRO OOS 9 and Oneplus 6T with OOS 9: stuttering is NOT PRESENT

RESULTS:
I'm pretty sure that this bug is due to Oxygen Os on Android 10 (on 7 Pro with Pie is not present) and it is present on all 7T/7TPRO/7PRO.
Clear system cache, factory reset, block 90hz etc.. are all useless solutions (I tried).
OnePlus still didn't fix the issue, in these condictions the 90hz are pretty useless.

Open the spoiler to see the old post:

LINK video(it's better to download for quality and watch it on bigger screen, open with chrome): https://gofile.io/?c=dGaFtF

Recently I shared this post on Oneplus forum:

"Hi all, on my op 7t (hd1903) I notice a slight stutter when flick scrolling.
It happens both at 60hz/90hz light/dark theme (atm with OOS 10.0.6).
When I scroll I notice that some lines of words on display don't do a fluid transiction, but they "disappears-appears". You can notice that issue when you do a scroll with finger (and you don't keep the finger on display), or a slow scroll (just touch the display and scroll down) in settings app.
There isn't a delay of the speed of written transiction, but a really bad flow of written text on display, it's not fluid at all, a sort of "glitch".
It happens with settings, Chrome, instagram (harder to see with images) etc.. it s not an app related problem.
I don't know if it is an issue of 10.0.6, because I don't remember if it happened with the previous oos version (I got this phone about 1 week ago).
I did factory reset and a new installation 2 times but no success. I want to understand if the problem is software or hardware, thank you all"

How to reproduce:
-90hz or 60hz
-Light theme (also with dark but it's easier too see on light)
-Animation 0.5 or 1 (it's the same)
-Open settings and do little slow scroll with the finger (don't leave the finger on display)
-Look at the texts written at the same time (center area): they don't do e fluid transiction up or down, they don't flow on the screen, but they "appear-disappear" in a fraction of second, like if they jump some pixels.

After I noticed this problem, I decided to go to a shop and I did some tests with the following six devices (eu versions) on both 60hz and 90hz and light theme (easier to see than dark mode) on settings app:

- Oneplus 7T frosted silver OOS 10.0.6: glitchy transictions of written lines is PRESENT

- Oneplus 7T frosted silver OOS 10.0.1: glitchy transictions of written lines is PRESENT

- Oneplus 7T glacier blu OOS 10.0.1: glitchy transictions of written lines is PRESENT

- Oneplus 7T PRO OOS 10: glitchy transictions of written lines is PRESENT (but harder to see because of a strange acceleration on scrolling)

- Oneplus 7 PRO OOS 9 and Oneplus 6T with OOS 9: this issue is NOT PRESENT

At this point in my opinion this issue is present on all 7T (and probably 7TPro).
Now, 7TPro and 7 Pro should have the same display, but I tested them with different oos versions (9 on 7Pro and 10 7TPro).
So I think that this is a software issue with Android 10, and I hope in a fast fix for this situation.
It's not possible to have "smooth" as a claim with a stuttering scrolling. Clear system cache, factory reset, block 90hz etc.. are all useless solutions (I tried).
I opened a bug report on feedback section, because 90hz or 60hz are useless in these conditions.
Sorry for english but it was difficult to explain in a written format this issue.

So, what do you think ? Let me know if you did a test or if you see this issue, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tex99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tex99 Ad-Free
30th November 2019, 02:18 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Just have done your test, and it's clearly present. HD1900 international rom 10.0.6.
The Following User Says Thank You to morback For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift morback Ad-Free
30th November 2019, 02:44 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by morback

Just have done your test, and it's clearly present. HD1900 international rom 10.0.6.

Thank you, I'm sure that is present on all 7T (probably also all 7t Pro) with android 10.
For this reason I ask to everybody that find this issue to report it on the feedback thread (oneplus forum).

It's ridiculous that every reviewers didn't talk about this (and green tint) and they sau only "smooth"...mah

Inviato dal mio HD1903 utilizzando Tapatalk
30th November 2019, 03:37 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 239

More
No lag here.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to micr0g For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift micr0g Ad-Free
8th December 2019, 03:20 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Same problem here. HD1900 international rom 10.0.6.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike167 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mike167 Ad-Free
9th December 2019, 11:41 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
I made a video that takes up the issue and shows how to reproduce, even if the camera cannot capture it well (hard to record 60fps), it is drastically more evident live, trust me (I recommend to look at the written text at the center of the screen to notice it, while I scroll down, because they appear some "lines" during text transiction, it's not smooth at all).

LINK (it's better to download for quality and watch it on bigger screen, open with chrome): https://gofile.io/?c=dGaFtF

Hope that you can see the issue, I know it's not so visible on video but I don't have a professional camera, let me know if you have the same thanks!

12th December 2019, 03:51 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
i also have this issue, it wasnt nearly as present when i was on omnirom but when i switched back it was a big differance. that such a small thing can bug me that much . I sent a message to oneplus customer support for what ever its worth. i'm just afraid it's never going to be fixed, gonna try out some kernels to see if they make a differance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Husabagarn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Husabagarn Ad-Free
12th December 2019, 08:12 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husabagarn

i also have this issue, it wasnt nearly as present when i was on omnirom but when i switched back it was a big differance. that such a small thing can bug me that much . I sent a message to oneplus customer support for what ever its worth. i'm just afraid it's never going to be fixed, gonna try out some kernels to see if they make a differance.

It's terrible from my point of view. So just to be sure, you see a sort of frame drop/stuttering while scrolling right ? I scroll up or down and I see some "lines" because of the transiction of the written texts (also with pictures, but It is not so visible). Did you?
I opened a bug report in feedback section if you want to add a comment to make it more visibile: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/l...eries.1146895/

and also e thread (all on oneplus forum): https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/s...eries.1148402/

I really I don't understand how it's possible that people doesn't see it. Which oxigen version are you (eu-global-indian)?
I'm on 10.0.6 EU version on 1903 model
Thank you

12th December 2019, 10:34 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Im on 10.0.06 EU, the content on screen kinda dissapears and reapears just as you let go when you scroll. I got an answer from costumer support. Keep in mind that its translated from Swedish

"I checked the link you sent and we checked the problem you explained. We hope that on the next update we will find solution. But I recommend that you write down the problem in our forum too, so our technicians can see your "feedback" and how many customers have the same problem."

The reffered to this thread when i sent the message. I will go ahead and comment on that thread on the forums now
The Following User Says Thank You to Husabagarn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Husabagarn Ad-Free
12th December 2019, 10:50 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husabagarn

Im on 10.0.06 EU, the content on screen kinda dissapears and reapears just as you let go when you scroll. I got an answer from costumer support. Keep in mind that its translated from Swedish

"I checked the link you sent and we checked the problem you explained. We hope that on the next update we will find solution. But I recommend that you write down the problem in our forum too, so our technicians can see your "feedback" and how many customers have the same problem."

The reffered to this thread when i sent the message. I will go ahead and comment on that thread on the forums now

Yep the same here. I don't know what to think. Also I don't remember if it was the same on 10.0.4 (I tried to downgrade but it was not possible). In addiction it is impossible that other users don't see it, maybe on global version this issue there isn't, but it sounds so strange and I didn't have time to backup all and try

13th December 2019, 11:04 PM |#11  
Bangalore, IN
Thanks Meter: 929

More
I'm not sure I'm able to see the stutter problem you're trying to explain even if it is existent. Even in your video. Maybe it is too slight for me to notice
The Following User Says Thank You to roofrider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roofrider Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)