Stuttering/frame skip while scrolling [Oxygen Os 10 BUG on all OnePlus 7T/7TPRO/7PRO]

Search This thread

filjusz

Same problem here, no one want to help us. Like problem did not exist

@Funk Wizard Are You or Your Team is going to do something with lags/stuttering problem? I Searched over internet and suprisingly i found i'am not alone with this problem (I thought I'am the only one with this problem that started after upgrading OP5T to Pie. No matter if stable or beta bulid).
Contact with OP technican did not help me, nor reinstalling firmware with unbrick tool. Problem exists only on Pie. Also tried flashing custom rom like Omnirom or AOSiP based on 9.0 with no good results (it happens there after some little time too). Most of the time when scrolling apps like YT or Chrome, but system is laggy to (animations stutters).
Many people reported this problem (e.g one reddit) but it never get fixed. Only way to fix this is downgrading to oreo (and lags are gone on stock&custom rom as long as i stay on oreo). I've seen this issue is not touching all people, only some of them. I'am sure this is firmware related issue as reverting to oreo fixed this. Could you help me and other OP members or should i look for some pocophone while still in love with my 5T?

Please provide logs as i have not come across any lags on my device though i don't use the 5T any more. You can send the logs to bughunters.

After requests for other logs from oneplus on 25 December, they obviously disappeared and no longer responded to any private message. at this point I doubt that the bug will ever be solved, also because there are too few reports. That's a shame

Inviato dal mio HD1903 utilizzando Tapatalk

As you can see I was experiencing stuttering when I was on OnePlus 5T too. I've send logs, told them with other users about issue but they never fixed this. Suprisingly problem occurs on OnePlus 7T too.

https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-5t/he...agging-day-t3909558/post79193466#post79193466

Reactions: Tex99

karayemis

Jul 15, 2010
Utrecht
I have a European version with the same problem. I had to watch carefully to notice.

The problem is that most people can't even notice this problem. That why some people look over it and don't complain. It doesn't really bother me, so it's okay, i only see it if i look for it.

Last edited:

micr0g

Sep 6, 2013
Google Pixel 8 Pro
There is no lag on my 7T
It's so smooth that when I used a iPhone XS for one day the next I sold it because of the lag.
Every Android device I owned the problem was the lag.
I can't understand for what lag you talking about really.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Tex99

Sep 13, 2012
There is no lag on my 7T
It's so smooth that when I used a iPhone XS for one day the next I sold it because of the lag.
Every Android device I owned the problem was the lag.
I can't understand for what lag you talking about really.

I don't know what to say, I did so many tests on multiple 7t devices, video (see them on the first post to see the issue) and test with Profile rendering that I'm sure that the issue is real, it is objective, no doubts about this honestly. But it seems that not all people see it.
And lag is different from frame skip on scrolling, as I said I have no problems to open or switch apps etc.. but scrolling is junk.
Are you on EU oxygen os version or Global ? Thanks

5URV1V0R

Feb 26, 2010
Beirut
HTC Leo
Samsung Galaxy S4
I don't know what to say, I did so many tests on multiple 7t devices, video (see them on the first post to see the issue) and test with Profile rendering that I'm sure that the issue is real, it is objective, no doubts about this honestly. But it seems that not all people see it.
And lag is different from frame skip on scrolling, as I said I have no problems to open or switch apps etc.. but scrolling is junk.
Are you on EU oxygen os version or Global ? Thanks

Did your phone had a screen protector pre-installed?
I read that sometimes the static on plastic screen protectors cause such jittery scrolling, especially in cold weather.

Szuri21

May 10, 2012
Really guys? Didn't see lags on videos? Are obvious. On my 7T I have similar issues, and also I tested some different 7T and 7T Pro, and this issue is present.
If you claim that you don't have such problems, then you should be happy, but you can't deny that there is no problem in the video, because it is and can be seen very clearly.

Also I have a disastrous experience using Chrome and Twitter they both are full of lags.

micr0g

Sep 6, 2013
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Really guys? Didn't see lags on videos? Are obvious. On my 7T I have similar issues, and also I tested some different 7T and 7T Pro, and this issue is present.
If you claim that you don't have such problems, then you should be happy, but you can't deny that there is no problem in the video, because it is and can be seen very clearly.

Also I have a disastrous experience using Chrome and Twitter they both are full of lags.
There is a lag on chrome beta/dev channel but it does not present on stable chrome.

Tex99

Sep 13, 2012
Did your phone had a screen protector pre-installed?
I read that sometimes the static on plastic screen protectors cause such jittery scrolling, especially in cold weather.
Thanks, Yep official one but all smartphone I tested have it, I doubt that static can do a stuttering like this but thanks for suggestion, I will try without it

Yep Twitter and Chrome are the worst, even if with auto90hz, but stuttering happens on all apps from my tests
There is a lag on chrome beta/dev channel but it does not present on stable chrome.

As I said "Twitter and Chrome are the worst, even if with auto90hz, but stuttering happens on all apps from my tests"
By the way, I saw your post on a custom kernel thread, so you are not on stock right ?
My phone is stuttering on chrome stable (latest one) and even in messaging app. Same was on my 1+5T
Quote: "Twitter and Chrome are the worst, even if with auto90hz, but stuttering happens on all apps fromy tests"

Reactions: The Unknown123

Husabagarn

Dec 12, 2019
Any update on this? Just went back to oos and god is it annoying. Coming from omni it's increatibly noticeable, cannot understand how this isn't fixed yet!

Tex99

Sep 13, 2012
Any update on this? Just went back to oos and god is it annoying. Coming from omni it's increatibly noticeable, cannot understand how this isn't fixed yet!
No one sadly. I'm waiting for the next update but I think that they will never fix it, I hope to be wrong

Reactions: Husabagarn

alexganzer

Jan 20, 2020
Is it same issue?
Opened a community app and tried to scroll
I see similar lags in many apps with rich content

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BUG:
    There is always a stuttering/frame skip while scrolling on every Oneplus 7T/7TPRO/7PRO with Android 10, on every app and every time you scroll.
    1) This is the complete video and here the stuttering is so visible, moreover you can see how to reproduce it (watch it on pc at full quality 1080p60 and full screen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RUf5DP3-qU
    2) If you watch this slowmotion video you can see how the written "Batteria" (when it appears stutter in red) does a sort of jump because of frame skip (I also added a frame count so you can be sure that the video is original): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGbqj29EXhI
    3) I did other test on my 7T with "Profile Rendering HWUI" and as you can see from the screenshots, If you do little scrolls there are serious frames drop (see the spikes):
    View attachment 4913573
    4) Here you can support the feedback I sent: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...le-scrolling-oxygen-10-bug-on-all-7t.1171252/

HOW TO REPRODUCE:
    -90hz (more visible) or 60hz
    -Light theme (also with dark but it's easier too see on light)
    -Animation 0.5 or 1 (it's the same)
    -Open settings and do little scroll with the finger (don't leave the finger on display)
    -Look at the written texts ("Battery" fro example): they don't do a fluid transition up or down, they don't flow on the screen, but they "appear-disappear", it seems that they jump some pixels. Infact there is multiple frame skip every time that you scroll.

TEST:
    Tests I did on both 60hz and 90hz and light theme (easier to see than dark mode) on settings app:
    1- Oneplus 7T frosted silver OOS 10.0.6/10.0.7: stuttering is PRESENT
    2- Oneplus 7T frosted silver OOS 10.0.1: stuttering is PRESENT
    3- Oneplus 7T glacier blu OOS 10.0.1: stuttering is PRESENT
    4- Oneplus 7T glacier blu OOS 10.0.1: stuttering is PRESENT
    5- Oneplus 7T PRO OOS 10: stuttering is PRESENT
    6- Oneplus 7 PRO OOS 10.0.2: stuttering is PRESENT
    7/8- Oneplus 7 PRO OOS 9 and Oneplus 6T with OOS 9: stuttering is NOT PRESENT

RESULTS:
    I'm pretty sure that this bug is due to Oxygen Os on Android 10 (on 7 Pro with Pie is not present) and it is present on all 7T/7TPRO/7PRO.
    Clear system cache, factory reset, block 90hz etc.. are all useless solutions (I tried).
    OnePlus still didn't fix the issue, in these condictions the 90hz are pretty useless.

Open the spoiler to see the old post:

LINK video(it's better to download for quality and watch it on bigger screen, open with chrome): https://gofile.io/?c=dGaFtF

Recently I shared this post on Oneplus forum:

"Hi all, on my op 7t (hd1903) I notice a slight stutter when flick scrolling.
    It happens both at 60hz/90hz light/dark theme (atm with OOS 10.0.6).
    When I scroll I notice that some lines of words on display don't do a fluid transiction, but they "disappears-appears". You can notice that issue when you do a scroll with finger (and you don't keep the finger on display), or a slow scroll (just touch the display and scroll down) in settings app.
    There isn't a delay of the speed of written transiction, but a really bad flow of written text on display, it's not fluid at all, a sort of "glitch".
    It happens with settings, Chrome, instagram (harder to see with images) etc.. it s not an app related problem.
    I don't know if it is an issue of 10.0.6, because I don't remember if it happened with the previous oos version (I got this phone about 1 week ago).
    I did factory reset and a new installation 2 times but no success. I want to understand if the problem is software or hardware, thank you all"

How to reproduce:
    -90hz or 60hz
    -Light theme (also with dark but it's easier too see on light)
    -Animation 0.5 or 1 (it's the same)
    -Open settings and do little slow scroll with the finger (don't leave the finger on display)
    -Look at the texts written at the same time (center area): they don't do e fluid transiction up or down, they don't flow on the screen, but they "appear-disappear" in a fraction of second, like if they jump some pixels.

After I noticed this problem, I decided to go to a shop and I did some tests with the following six devices (eu versions) on both 60hz and 90hz and light theme (easier to see than dark mode) on settings app:

- Oneplus 7T frosted silver OOS 10.0.6: glitchy transictions of written lines is PRESENT

- Oneplus 7T frosted silver OOS 10.0.1: glitchy transictions of written lines is PRESENT

- Oneplus 7T glacier blu OOS 10.0.1: glitchy transictions of written lines is PRESENT

- Oneplus 7T PRO OOS 10: glitchy transictions of written lines is PRESENT (but harder to see because of a strange acceleration on scrolling)

- Oneplus 7 PRO OOS 9 and Oneplus 6T with OOS 9: this issue is NOT PRESENT

At this point in my opinion this issue is present on all 7T (and probably 7TPro).
    Now, 7TPro and 7 Pro should have the same display, but I tested them with different oos versions (9 on 7Pro and 10 7TPro).
    So I think that this is a software issue with Android 10, and I hope in a fast fix for this situation.
    It's not possible to have "smooth" as a claim with a stuttering scrolling. Clear system cache, factory reset, block 90hz etc.. are all useless solutions (I tried).
    I opened a bug report on feedback section, because 90hz or 60hz are useless in these conditions.
    Sorry for english but it was difficult to explain in a written format this issue.

So, what do you think ? Let me know if you did a test or if you see this issue, thanks!
    Solution maybe, it works for me. Source: Self Tweaking.

Open "chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist" and enable Override software rendering list.

This helped me!
    -HP

Screenshot-20200703-132353.jpg

Upvote if this helps. :fingers-crossed:
    I was having this problem. I don't think there is a way to completely get rid of it. However, I recently switched my T-Mobile variant to the Global Open Beta 2 and flashed Arter97 r54 kernel and scrolling is much smoother. The device in general is just overall much better with this ROM/Kernel. Arter97's kernel gets rid of most of OnePlus' code and uses Qualcomm's code as a base. It also uses a 300Hz base frequency which reduces jitter. I highly recommend this kernel!
    UPDATE: I tried another 7Pro with android 10 (not 9 as the last time) and...it has stuttering/frame skip while scrolling.

Also I did two video of the issue with a better camera and quality, now the stuttering is visible:
    1) This is the complete video and here the stuttering is so visible, moreover you can see how to reproduce it (watch it on pc with full quality 1080p60 and full screen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RUf5DP3-qU
    2) If you watch this slowmotion video you can see how the written "Batteria" (when it appears stutter in red) does a sort of jump because of frame skip (I also added a frame count so you can be sure that the video is original): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGbqj29EXhI

So yes, it is a oxygen os 10 bug and OnePlus has to resolve it as soon as possible.
    Moreover, oneplus staff contacted me again three days ago on oneplus forum for asking me other info/log about the issue.
    Is it same issue?
    Opened a community app and tried to scroll
    I see similar lags in many apps with rich content
    I noticed that too but I think that community app has just some troubles with video preview.
    You have to try on settings app or chrome,Twitter etc..