OnePlus 7T on Google Fi

Search This thread

senron

Apr 1, 2020
Has anyone activated a OP 7T on Google Fi recently? If so, does it work well and does WiFI calling work?

I have activated my OnePlus 7T on Google Fi and have been using it for about 2 or 3 months now. I'm not sure about the WiFi calling, I don't see an option for it in the Google Fi app, and I don't see an option for it in System Settings anywhere. I can tell you that you can't install Google's Phone app. I don't know why, it shows up in my Play Store Library, but I don't have the option to install it. Service is still good. Sometimes calls do take time to actually start dialing and there are a few locations in my area between cities where my service will drop but the radius that I lose service in is rather small. I didn't have the service dropping issues with my Pixel on Google Fi.

fossiltkm

Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
I have activated my OnePlus 7T on Google Fi and have been using it for about 2 or 3 months now. I'm not sure about the WiFi calling, I don't see an option for it in the Google Fi app, and I don't see an option for it in System Settings anywhere. I can tell you that you can't install Google's Phone app. I don't know why, it shows up in my Play Store Library, but I don't have the option to install it. Service is still good. Sometimes calls do take time to actually start dialing and there are a few locations in my area between cities where my service will drop but the radius that I lose service in is rather small. I didn't have the service dropping issues with my Pixel on Google Fi.

I switch back and forth between my Pixel 4 XL and My OnePlus 7T, and I also use Googe Fi. If you're rooted, you can download the google framework magisk module. I then downloaded the google phone app from apkmirror, and set it as default phone app. I also have the WiFi Calling option in the Google Fi settings. WiFi calling is funny like that with Google Fi though. for me, the only time that I actually know that I'm on a WiFi call is when I see the WiFi icon on the connected call screen of the phone app. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200403-062602.jpg
    Screenshot_20200403-062602.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 235

ziddey

Aug 26, 2007
Yep, not google fi here, but using the google phone app. Install the google dialer framework magisk module. Then you should be able to get google phone from the play store. Make sure you go to google phone's app info and allow "display over other apps" or else the chat bubble (whatever it's actually called) won't work. I have it set as the phone app, and the oneplus one disabled.

The oneplus dialer is better suited for dual sim calling though :\

sweendiggler

Dec 24, 2013
New England
So I've got a OnePlus 7T and wifi calling had been great for several months. I just noticed today that it wasn't working, and the option is suddenly gone from my Fi app options. Has anyone else experienced this?

That said, if you need wifi calling I may hold off on switching until someone else can verify that there's is ok.

rampitec

May 18, 2013
I am using it. Activated few days ago on tmo version (HD1907). Prior to that it was converted to international fw 10.0.16.HD65AA.

Everything seems to work except:
1) I have option to enable Wi-Fi calling in Google FI app, it is enabled. If I turn phone into the plane mode and enable Wi-Fi it doesn't allow me to call saying I have to disable airplane mode. This used to work on Pixel. So I cannot tell it VoWiFi works or not, maybe yes maybe not, you will never tell unless check your billing and/or be in an area where you only have Wi-Fi and maybe roaming. I wasn't.
2) I am unable to switch network to Sprint, even though it shall be formally merged with TMO by now. Signal Spy just cannot do it. That said, it used to do it on Pixel couple years ago, but stopped working even on Pixel. So I am uncertain if that is a body or merger issue. Yet have to be in an area where only Sprint or US Cellular towers are present, but this will hardly happen.
3) FI specific google VPN does not work (this is for a good in my book).

Visual voicemail works with OOS phone app.

I can install google dealer without Magisk module, so that module is not needed on this FW. I don't see any benefits to use it though, except if I would like to use Google's call screening and spam protection. I am using a 3rd party dealer anyway with its own features like that pre-existed Google's implementation. I.e. if that is an issue, that issue can be solved by a 3rd party SW, you are not bound to Google here. But you can install their dealer on global FW if you so want.

Other than that everything seems to work. I'd like to see what happens in roaming but I don't expect problems there. It would be a very strange idea to prohibit roaming based on the IMEI. Anyhow, there is no way to check during the times of closed borders.

I didn't install a second SIM yet though.

rampitec

May 18, 2013
I am using it. Activated few days ago on tmo version (HD1907). Prior to that it was converted to international fw 10.0.16.HD65AA.

Everything seems to work except:
1) I have option to enable Wi-Fi calling in Google FI app, it is enabled. If I turn phone into the plane mode and enable Wi-Fi it doesn't allow me to call saying I have to disable airplane mode. This used to work on Pixel. So I cannot tell it VoWiFi works or not, maybe yes maybe not, you will never tell unless check your billing and/or be in an area where you only have Wi-Fi and maybe roaming. I wasn't.
2) I am unable to switch network to Sprint, even though it shall be formally merged with TMO by now. Signal Spy just cannot do it. That said, it used to do it on Pixel couple years ago, but stopped working even on Pixel. So I am uncertain if that is a body or merger issue. Yet have to be in an area where only Sprint or US Cellular towers are present, but this will hardly happen.
3) FI specific google VPN does not work (this is for a good in my book).

Visual voicemail works with OOS phone app.

I can install google dealer without Magisk module, so that module is not needed on this FW. I don't see any benefits to use it though, except if I would like to use Google's call screening and spam protection. I am using a 3rd party dealer anyway with its own features like that pre-existed Google's implementation. I.e. if that is an issue, that issue can be solved by a 3rd party SW, you are not bound to Google here. But you can install their dealer on global FW if you so want.

Other than that everything seems to work. I'd like to see what happens in roaming but I don't expect problems there. It would be a very strange idea to prohibit roaming based on the IMEI. Anyhow, there is no way to check during the times of closed borders.

I didn't install a second SIM yet though.
Update: today I was in the area without network but with Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi calling with FI works. I was able to make and receive calls via phone app. App was showing it is calling via Wi-Fi. So that is purely artificial SW limitation that I cannot make calls from Airplane mode with Wi-Fi enabled, when in such situation it works.

chazmo

Jul 19, 2010
I've been using my 7t on Google Fi for about a year now. I am using stock software and stock apps for voice. I installed google messenger to resolve some chat issues (from play store). Wifi calling works as it should with stock dialer as well as mms/sms.

The only issue I have had is... the phone will not automatically switch to the strongest provider. In my area, the strongest provider is t-mobile, therefor I essentially have a t-mobile data plan through Google Fi.

Typically I find that wifi calling increases the time from when you finished dialing to the instance of the phone actually ringing. Without wifi calling, the timing is spot on.

zero complaints.