FORUMS

New Oneplus Owner... Where to Start?

652 posts
Thanks Meter: 222

By slgooding, Senior Member on 17th May 2020, 05:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey everyone, just got my 7T. I've heard great things about Oxygen, and it seems like everything is optimized. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'm coming from a LeEco LE Pro 3, and the ROM path has been the only option (android 6 was the last official version for that phone, and we have 10 via ROM now). Is there any reason to try a different ROM on this phone? What about different kernels? Is there any good reason to leave stock? I'll definitely root my phone, but I'm not sure about the kernel/ROM changes.

I appreciate your input!
17th May 2020, 09:20 AM |#2  
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 840

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slgooding

Hey everyone, just got my 7T. I've heard great things about Oxygen, and it seems like everything is optimized. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'm coming from a LeEco LE Pro 3, and the ROM path has been the only option (android 6 was the last official version for that phone, and we have 10 via ROM now). Is there any reason to try a different ROM on this phone? What about different kernels? Is there any good reason to leave stock? I'll definitely root my phone, but I'm not sure about the kernel/ROM changes.

I appreciate your input!

I like Oxygen very much and flashed arters kernel only for better battery life. I tried the custom ROMs too, but battery wasn't that good. If you are happy with Oxy stay on it. If you need some more feature, take a custom rom. It depends always on what you want and what you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kollachi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kollachi Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 01:23 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 143

More
I've always been an AOSP guy, but OOS on 7T is good. all you customization you need get be added through gravitybox, renovate ICE. Other than always on display, I don't see what aosp can offer on top of OOS. Last I tried, AOSP had some auto brightness and fingerprint issue. with OOS you still have face unlock which AOSP don't. you can also add horizon lights with renovate ICE.
The Following User Says Thank You to c19932 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift c19932 Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 05:41 PM |#4  
Westlake, OH
Thanks Meter: 415

More
You'll know if you will like OOS or not.

If you plan on going the ROM route, try Omni or Tresk. I'm currently running Tresk and it's excellent! Better battery than OOS, AOD, better theming, and overall cleaner "Google" interface.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xocomaox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xocomaox Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 06:08 PM |#5  
Flag Osnabrück

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocomaox

I'm currently running Tresk and it's excellent! Better battery than OOS.

Maybe with Stock OOS, but you will definitely get better battery results with OOS + arters kernel. Even idle drain is less with it. This time Oxygen is very hard to beat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kollachi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kollachi Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 07:50 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag West Lafayette
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to stick to stock for now and try the custom kernel for better battery life.
17th May 2020, 10:49 PM |#7  
Westlake, OH

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollachi

Maybe with Stock OOS, but you will definitely get better battery results with OOS + arters kernel. Even idle drain is less with it. This time Oxygen is very hard to beat.

I have not tried this combination. Too many deal breakers for me with OOS so I jumped quickly.
18th May 2020, 10:58 AM |#8  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 574

More
I advice you to flash OxygenOS Open beta 3. It's a bit more stable for my 7T.
OxygenOS already feels like a custom rom, so I don't really feel the need to flash 3rd party roms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ej8989 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ej8989 Ad-Free
18th May 2020, 12:21 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocomaox

You'll know if you will like OOS or not.

If you plan on going the ROM route, try Omni or Tresk. I'm currently running Tresk and it's excellent! Better battery than OOS, AOD, better theming, and overall cleaner "Google" interface.

Is there any installation how-to for Tresk? I didn`t find anywhere on their site, beside download link and wonder why there's no topic for Tresk in OP7T section?
Everything works fine ?

Thanks.
18th May 2020, 12:50 PM |#10  
Flag Osnabrück

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anak1n

Is there any installation how-to for Tresk? I didn`t find anywhere on their site, beside download link and wonder why there's no topic for Tresk in OP7T section?
Everything works fine ?

Thanks.

The instructions are in the Telegram group.
18th May 2020, 02:27 PM |#11  
Westlake, OH

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anak1n

Everything works fine ?

Thanks.

Join their Telegram group.

Quote:

Flashing steps for OnePlus 7T:
(For the first time installation)

Things you will need:

Payload Dumper
https://t.me/treskmod/190469

Bat file that wipes and flashes to both sides on initial install
https://t.me/treskmod/195379

Current Stable HD65AA Firmware on both sides, it has been reported that BA (EU) firmware has issues with FP.

- local upgrade or flash OOS firmware to side A
- reboot to OOS
- local upgrade or flash OOS firmware to side B
- reboot to bootloader
- dump latest treskmod payload.bin using payload dumper
- place the bat file in your output directory, or wherever you decide to keep images
- run the bat (this will wipe, a wipe is necessary on initial installation coming from OOS, after that, just OTA)
the bat file can be modified to suit any particular need.
- reboot to treskmod and enjoy

- root
- either wait for me to to post a patched boot.img, which you can then "fastboot boot nameofimage.img" in fastboot mode, then patch your own, or just make your own patched boot with magisk manager. (make sure preserve avb and preserve encryption are both checked)
- when taking an OTA, once its finished, don't reboot, and have magisk patch the inactive slot, then reboot.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)