FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A Few Days In.. Thoughts So Far..

127 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By claytow, Senior Member on 23rd October 2019, 09:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
Finally got my 7t on Sunday after some Amazon delays and thought I would put down some thoughts to see if others share my view of its good and bad points. I have migrated to the 7t from a Galaxy S9+ so some of the comparisons are with that as I've had it for the last 18 months.
Overall I am very pleased, construction is good, 90hz display is lovely and its snappy and smooth. I havent extensively used the camera but everything seems to work and I like the OxygenOS implementation of Android 10 however I am finding that some apps are a little behind and dont work to well. Good size, good weight and weirdly almost identical in dimensions to the S9+.
The notch hasnt been an issue and only on third charge but battery life for my useage is very good. Sound is much louder than my S9+ although not sure about better, its on par though which is fine with me.
I do have some niggle points though which maybe updated in the future and maybe its just me but would appreciate your views.

1) Haptic engine is nowhere near as strong as the S9+ and I miss the decent buzz of the vibrations on the keyboard and the feedback
2) Adaptive brightness goes too dim at night, this might just be me and my eyes but I can hardly read the screen in total darkness due to how low it goes and I have had to use Macdroid to take adaptive brightness off at night and set it to 20% so I can see the screen
3) Coming from a headphone jack I've realised cheap USB-C to 3.5mm dongles are nowhere near as good as the faithful jack. It's a shame it had to disappear.
4) Really wanted to use and try the stock launcher as I normally use Nova but the stock launcher wont go 6 icons wide, only 5. I think Nova is a little behind in Android 10 as transitions can be a little choppy but we all have our favourite homescreen setups right? and mine has to be 6 icons across.
5) Have tried using my current charging stuff and it charges the phone much slower even though my chargers are QC3.0 and cables are good. Still testing but a little disappointed that you will have to use their cables for full speed charging.
6) Really missing the notification LED and there seems to be no proper solution whereby you can keep the ambient display on and have a flashing LED style indicator so you dont have to keep tapping your phone screen

Think thats all for now. Happy to hear your thoughts but I'm all in all a happy customer. Glad I made the switch.

Thanks for reading
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to claytow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift claytow Ad-Free
23rd October 2019, 12:00 PM |#2  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 22

More
This is such a mature review compared to others I've read on the forums. You mention the pain points but don't go about berating OnePlus mindlessly.

Anyways, I agree with most of them. Here are my thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytow

1) Haptic engine is nowhere near as strong as the S9+ and I miss the decent buzz of the vibrations on the keyboard and the feedback

Agreed. It's not as strong as other devices. But honestly I prefer it this way.

Quote:

2) Adaptive brightness goes too dim at night, this might just be me and my eyes but I can hardly read the screen in total darkness due to how low it goes and I have had to use Macdroid to take adaptive brightness off at night and set it to 20% so I can see the screen

Read the same feedback on OnePlus forums, so it's not just you or your eyes. I've always preferred adjusting brightness manually, so have turned it off.
Btw, MacroDroid rocks \m/

Quote:

4) Really wanted to use and try the stock launcher as I normally use Nova but the stock launcher wont go 6 icons wide, only 5. I think Nova is a little behind in Android 10 as transitions can be a little choppy but we all have our favourite homescreen setups right? and mine has to be 6 icons across.

I don't mind the homescreen width, but the app drawer on the stock launcher lacks the option of creating folders. Nova to the rescue again!

Quote:

5) Have tried using my current charging stuff and it charges the phone much slower even though my chargers are QC3.0 and cables are good. Still testing but a little disappointed that you will have to use their cables for full speed charging.

I think the adapter is more important than the cable for Warp charge. I believe you can get warp charge with OnePlus adapter and another cable.

Quote:

6) Really missing the notification LED and there seems to be no proper solution whereby you can keep the ambient display on and have a flashing LED style indicator so you dont have to keep tapping your phone screen

This is what I miss the most. I have grown accustomed to the notification LED, and now it bugs me to not have it anymore.
I tried a few apps but none works the way I want them to. Still would recommend you to try "Always on Edge" as it offers many customization options and there's a lightning style called LEP which replicates the flashing LED.
If you happen to come across an app that does a better job, do let me know
The Following User Says Thank You to enfilade For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift enfilade Ad-Free
23rd October 2019, 01:07 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

More
Thanks enfilade,
Currently I have settled on Notify Buddy although I will try "Always on Edge" if I get tired of it. Notify Buddy seems to work pretty well, there is one thing that doesnt work correctly but has an easy workaround.
I find it works very well but you cant single tap the screen to wake while there is a notification as it uses the overlay. However you can double tap which wakes the screen and then you can use face unlock or the fingerprint. The fingerprint works fine with no notifications. This result while not perfect isnt the end of the world.
As I say though, will try Always on edge if I cant make this work long term. It would be great if OnePlus could make it an inbuilt OxygenOS facility.
23rd October 2019, 01:08 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

More
Thanks enfilade,
Currently I have settled on Notify Buddy although I will try "Always on Edge" if I get tired of it. Notify Buddy seems to work pretty well, there is one thing that doesnt work correctly but has an easy workaround.
I find it works very well but you cant single tap the screen to wake while there is a notification as it uses the overlay. However you can double tap which wakes the screen and then you can use face unlock or the fingerprint. The fingerprint works fine with no notifications. This result while not perfect isnt the end of the world.
As I say though, will try Always on edge if I cant make this work long term. It would be great if OnePlus could make it an inbuilt OxygenOS facility.
23rd October 2019, 01:31 PM |#5  
Flag Hyderabad

More
I checked out NotifyBuddy. It does a good job but it lacks the option of displayed LED for charging/fully charged, which I'm looking for.
"Always on Edge" has that option but I am not completely satisfied as I also want the experience to not conflict with the Ambient display. Btw, it has multiple options for how you want to wake up, including long press and slide, so that might give you better option. Also it handles power button press in a better way.

But you need to watch an ad every time you want to save any changes you made in settings, so that's irritating, but once it's set, no ads interference in the experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enfilade For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift enfilade Ad-Free
23rd October 2019, 08:54 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfilade

I checked out NotifyBuddy. It does a good job but it lacks the option of displayed LED for charging/fully charged, which I'm looking for.
"Always on Edge" has that option but I am not completely satisfied as I also want the experience to not conflict with the Ambient display. Btw, it has multiple options for how you want to wake up, including long press and slide, so that might give you better option. Also it handles power button press in a better way.

But you need to watch an ad every time you want to save any changes you made in settings, so that's irritating, but once it's set, no ads interference in the experience.

Have had a good play and not 100% sure how I can do what I want, have got it so I get icons for notifications with no flashing dot and a flashing dot while charging but its taken lots of testing and messing about. Ended up paying for it, after all its only £1.29. Happy to have any pointers or config secrets you have found to make it work properly. Thanks for the tip on what to try though.
23rd October 2019, 09:08 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 100

More
I wish it was just a little smaller... like 10mm shorter I'd say... oh well...
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterThiefGarrett For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MasterThiefGarrett Ad-Free
24th October 2019, 05:21 AM |#8  
Quote:

It's mostly due to wire gauge, which 6A should probably make the cable run hot and maybe pop (which has happened to me in other scenarios)
24th October 2019, 08:15 AM |#9  
Flag Hyderabad

More
Quote:

Have had a good play and not 100% sure how I can do what I want, have got it so I get icons for notifications with no flashing dot and a flashing dot while charging but its taken lots of testing and messing about. Ended up paying for it, after all its only £1.29. Happy to have any pointers or config secrets you have found to make it work properly. Thanks for the tip on what to try though.

I haven't been able to get it to work the "ideal" way, where I get the notification dot and the ambient display experience is not impacted. So not much I can share. In fact I didn't even know I could set flashing dot based on the scenario, so thanks for that!
24th October 2019, 08:48 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfilade

I haven't been able to get it to work the "ideal" way, where I get the notification dot and the ambient display experience is not impacted. So not much I can share. In fact I didn't even know I could set flashing dot based on the scenario, so thanks for that!

Well looks like I didnt do too well either, ran it overnight and it looks like it completely disregarded the Do not disturb times and displayed every notification overnight and used 38% of my battery. So not sure why it still displayed but looks like back to the drawing board.
The Following User Says Thank You to claytow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift claytow Ad-Free
25th October 2019, 07:06 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Is it me or is battery life not that great?

44 minutes of SOT and down to 82%. Feels like my 6t and my XR would have more juice at this point...
The Following User Says Thank You to pbassjunk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pbassjunk Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)