FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 7T without TWRP

3,621 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,393

Post Reply Email Thread
So today with some testers i managed to make root on OnePlus 7T, I want to specify that 95% of the work was done by @topjohnwu (Magisk creator). For now you should use only Magisk Canary files

I will explain 2 different guides:

First Root Guide:

This guide is for a specific rom version, so you will need to use a specific patched boot.img

- Download the patched_boot.img
- Reboot your device in bootloader-fastboot mode
- Flash the patched_boot.img in the boot partition:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
replace "boot.img" with the patched_boot.img path

- Reboot the device
- Install Magisk Manager

Second Root Guide:

This guide is more generic than the first one, you should use this one if you are unable to find a specific patched boot.img

- Download a patched_boot.img (you should try with the latest one)
- Reboot your device in bootloader-fastboot mode
- Boot the patched_boot.img:
Code:
fastboot boot boot.img
replace "boot.img" with the patched_boot.img path

- Reboot the device
- Install Magisk Manager
- Click on Install, then direct install and wait the end of the process
- Reboot the device

TIPS:

Actually you should use only Magisk canary files, you can find it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...-edge-t3839337
You can get the stock boot images from the fastboot rom: https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...us-7t-t3979213

Actually i'm using magisk manager canary and magisk canary debug to patch the boot.img, I don't recommend updating magisk, if you don't want to see the updates install the normal magisk manager

HOW TO UPDATE a ROM and KEEP ROOT:
Before all Disable all magisk modules
Be sure to use Canary Magisk Manager and Canary Magisk (debug)
You can update a stock rom from phone settings with local upgrade:
- Update the Rom WITHOUT REBOOT;
- Open Magisk Manager;
- In Magisk Manager, click on Install/Install/Direct Install;
- Again in Magisk Manager, click on Install/Install/Inactive Slot;
- Reboot.

Download:

Patched/Stock Boot Images: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=300177

Donations:

Donate link

Credits:
@RohanAJoshi
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to mauronofrio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mauronofrio Ad-Free
7th October 2019, 03:22 PM |#2  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 1,680

More
Flashed and working flawless.
Really thanks for this.
Awesome work bro.
The Following User Says Thank You to RohanAJoshi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RohanAJoshi Ad-Free
7th October 2019, 04:02 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Can you please upload the patched boot.img please? I dont see it in the above folder at all.
7th October 2019, 04:57 PM |#5  

More
Working, thanks a lot @mauronofrio
7th October 2019, 06:14 PM |#6  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 69

More
I am on 10.0.3 begin so i should flash the magisk patched boot image of this version, is that correct? With what should i flash, sdk tools or any other specific tool? Is there any portable adb toolkit and do i need to copy the not image in the same folder as adb?
Edit : I tried but the device was locked so unlocked it after finding instructions on xda. Never knew it would wipe everything including internal storage also
Need to install everything again and have lost data of last few days. But I got root so that's the only consolation. Also a lesson never to make unnecessary haste. But it's fine. Won't repeat the mistake again.
7th October 2019, 08:45 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani

I am on 10.0.3 begin so i should flash the magisk patched boot image of this version, is that correct? With what should i flash, sdk tools or any other specific tool? Is there any portable adb toolkit and do i need to copy the not image in the same folder as adb?
Edit : I tried but the device was locked so unlocked it after finding instructions on xda. Never knew it would wipe everything including internal storage also
Need to install everything again and have lost data of last few days. But I got root so that's the only consolation. Also a lesson never to make unnecessary haste. But it's fine. Won't repeat the mistake again.

See OP, its clearly mentioned there. You have to flash this via fastboot and not any custom recovery. Firstly setup adb on your PC and then check the commands. Its very easy. Do some googling and still if its difficult for you, come back and ask.
7th October 2019, 09:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani

Welcome to the android scene, reminds me of the old psx scene
8th October 2019, 05:21 AM |#9  

More
I installed some rogue module, that was not supposed to be installed on OP 7T. Due to this, now I am not able to boot into patched boot. I had to re-flash my stock boot.img to boot into my phone. Can you please help? I want to uninstall that particular module thats all. Tried doing something with your TWRP, but it wont show my system or storage at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to nick_22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nick_22 Ad-Free
8th October 2019, 06:20 AM |#10  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 69

More
@mauronofrio, thanks so much for this. I had some queries :
1) Is the internal storage always wiped when bootloader is unlocked or did I do something wrong?
2) I have switched off auto-download of updates and also disabled automatic system updates in Developer settings. Is this correct? How to proceed when an update is available in future?
3) Will TWRP be developed or is it not useful for OP7T?
8th October 2019, 06:58 AM |#11  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 1,680

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_22

I installed some rogue module, that was not supposed to be installed on OP 7T. Due to this, now I am not able to boot into patched boot. I had to re-flash my stock boot.img to boot into my phone. Can you please help? I want to uninstall that particular module thats all. Tried doing something with your TWRP, but it wont show my system or storage at all.

Get your stock boot.img from 1st post.
Reboot to bootloader.
And do this command
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot

Device will boot unrooted.

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani;80464121 [MENTION=4712355

mauronofrio, thanks so much for this. I had some queries :
1) Is the internal storage always wiped when bootloader is unlocked or did I do something wrong?
2) I have switched off auto-download of updates and also disabled automatic system updates in Developer settings. Is this correct? How to proceed when an update is available in future?
3) Will TWRP be developed or is it not useful for OP7T?

1. Yes, always wipe
2. Just update as usual, let update go, after installation complete, don't reboot device. Go to magisk, install, install on inactive slot. Reboot. You will be rooted (Warning : this is not tested on 7T, this method from 7)
3. TWRP will be developed but some good dev like @mauronofrio need device for this, as of now, no hopes for twrp. We are lucky that we got root.
The Following User Says Thank You to RohanAJoshi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RohanAJoshi Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hotdogb, magisk, mauronofrio, oneplus 7t, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)