FORUMS

[GUIDE][WIP]T-Mobile Brand Conversion to Rooted Global Firmware

1,257 posts
Thanks Meter: 188

By nolimit78, Senior Member on 14th December 2019, 04:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
First, let me say that this is only an attempt to pull this information out from a lot of different threads that require a bunch of research and a lot of institutional knowledge of Android. The idea of this thread is going from 100% T-Mobile Stock 10.0.8 to Rooted Global Firmware.

Please take the time to read every step carefully. It'll explain a little bit as to the why behind some of the steps. PM me if I've missed anything.

This has been revamped as some of the steps are no longer required. Devices coming from 10.0.6 and below might have to try a different set of steps. Click here for the post with the old instructions

Requirements:
ADB setup and working
Global Fastboot ZIP Grab the latest version (10.0.8 as of 3/20)
For Root:
Magisk Canery apk
Modded-Boot.img From here or make your own pulling your own boot.img and using magisk to create a modded boot.img file

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
This group of instructions are going to walk you through on how to unlock your bootloader. This is the first general step in converting your device into a global device.

1. Either follow the rules via T-Mobile (paid off and 40 days on the network) or visit this thread and get the hook up from our friend (send him some cash, for real I did this and it worked hopefully he keeps up with this for a while!). This will allow you to use the Unlock App to permanently unlock your phone.
2. Open the "Unlock" app that's preinstalled on your phone and click on Permanent Unlock. If you have completed Step One correctly, it'll congratulate you and ask you to reboot your phone.
3. Reboot your phone and Enable Developer Settings. Check out the OEM Unlock button is now able to be switched off. Switch it off.
4. Be sure to also tick USB Debugging.
5. You'll now need to submit a request for an unlock_code.bin (could also be labeled unlock_token.bin) file from OnePlus via this link. It takes a week. Seriously almost down to the second. There's no avoiding this. I've read several people try (myself included) all met with the same fate. Wait. 7 whole days. You'll get an email from OnePlus containing the unlock_code.bin file. Download this file and save it to your ADB folder.
5a. Open CMD (with admin rights) and navigate to your ADB folder. I've heard users try to use Powershell and while it works mostly, ymmv. I stick with CMD and haven't had any issues.
Mine would be--
Code:
cd c:\adb\
6. Reboot your phone into fastboot--
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Code:
fastboot flash cust-unlock unlock_code.bin
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
This will unlock your bootloader and wipe your device
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Now that you've unlocked your bootloader, lets get to flashing the Global Rom--

7. Extract the contents of the Global Fastboot Rom zip folder directly into your ADB folder.
a. If you did this correctly your ADB folder will be filled with a bunch of new .img files. Like boot.img
8. Open CMD (with admin rights) and navigate to your ADB folder. I've heard users try to use Powershell and while it works mostly, ymmv. I stick with CMD and haven't had any issues.
Mine would be--
Code:
This will also wipe your data, be sure to save anything that you need prior to running the following command.
Code:
flash-all.bat
9. If you've never flashed via fastboot before, this is going to spit a bunch of information to you that might look like garbage. Your phone will boot a few different times including into FastbootD (link for explanation) But it's telling you what it's flashing and how fast it's doing it. There's a common looking error that happens every time you do this. It says "Invalid sparce file format at header magic". This is normal, just ignore it and keep waiting. Once everything settles, the device will reboot by itself. If it doesn't, like bootloops to the bootloader, start over and go back to Step 8 and try again.
10. You've now fully converted to the Global Firmware. Confirm this by going to settings > about phone and look at Build Number. Should say 10.0.8(as of the time of this post).

You're done! Continue on if you want to root your device...

If you're interested in root:

11. Boot the device from the modded-boot.img file to give your self temp root. Once this is done, boot the device.
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot modded-boot.img
12. Install Magisk Manager Canary from here
13. Check in the middle of the screen for "advanced options" and make sure Preserve force encryption and preserve avb 2.0/dm-verify are checked.
14. Now look under the first Magisk check and make sure that it's telling you there's an update to "Magisk" and run through that update via direct install.
15. Once that finishes it'll have you reboot the phone.
16. You've now fully converted to the Global Firmware and Rooted. Confirm this by going to settings > about phone and look at Build Number. Should say 10.0.8(as of the time of this post)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Shoutouts will go here soon.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nolimit78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nolimit78 Ad-Free
14th December 2019, 07:41 AM |#2  
Flag Bmore
Thanks Meter: 125

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit78

First, let me say that this is only an attempt to pull this information out from a lot of different threads that require a bunch of research and a lot of institutional knowledge of Android. This will be a living first post as I'm currently not able to successfully get rooted. The idea of this thread is going from 100% T-Mobile Stock to Rooted Global Firmware. Once I can replicate and get root stable on my phone I will finalize this post. I will also add in shout outs to where I pulled this information from, both thread post and user, as it was through our group that I was able to piece this together. All this will be updated and make to look nice later.

The reason we flash to Indian and then Global is because if you don't, wifi/data and camera will be broken. I can't explain why it works, it just does.

Ok. Now to the good stuff. Please take the time to read every step carefully. It'll explain a little bit as to some of the why behind the steps. PM me if I've missed anything.

Requirements:
ADB setup and working
Global OTA ZIP (download from here)
Indian Fastboot ROM(download from here)

1. Unlock your bootloader. Either follow the rules via T-Mobile (paid off and 40 days on the network) or visit this thread and get the hook up from our friend (send him some cash, for real I did this and it worked hopefully he keeps up with this for a while!).
2. Move the Global Rom.zip file to the root of your OnePlus7T. It'll save you time later. Do this now or there's a later step where I give you the chance.
2. Open the "Unlock" app that's preinstalled on your phone and click on Permanent Unlock. If you have completed Step One correctly, it'll congratulate you and ask you to reboot your phone.
3. Reboot your phone and Enable Developer Settings. Check out the OEM Unlock button is now able to be switched off. Switch it off.
4. You'll now need to submit a request for an unlock_code.bin file from OnePlus via this link. It takes a week. Seriously almost down to the second. There's no avoiding this. I've read several people try (myself included) all met with the same fate. Wait. 7 whole days. You'll get an email from OnePlus containing the unlock_code.bin file. Download this file and save it to your ADB folder.
5. Reboot your phone into fastboot adb reboot bootloader
6. Extract the Indian Fastboot Rom folder directly into your ADB folder.
a. If you did this correctly your ADB folder will be filled with a bunch of new .img files. Like boot.img
7. Open CMD (with admin rights) and navigate to your ADB folder.
Mine would be-- cd c:\adb\
8. flash-all.bat
9. It will also ask you to wipe data. This is your call. If you followed Step 2, this will wipe out this file and you'll need to replace it once your phone has converted.
9. If you've never flashed via fastboot before, this is going to spit a bunch of information to you that might look like garbage. But it's telling you what it's flashing and how fast it's doing it. There's a common looking error that happens every time you do this. It says []. This is normal, just ignore it. Once everything settles, the device will reboot by itself. If it doesn't, start over and go back to Step 5 and try again.
10. Once the device boots up, you should now be on the Indian build for the OnePlus 7T.
11. You should have already moved the Global OTA to the root of the OnePlus 7t. If you haven't, do so now.
12. Go to settings > system updates and look for the gear on the top right-hand corner. If it's not there, something didn't flash right. Go Back to Step 2 and try again. Click on it and select Local Upgrade
13. Select the Global OTA file and it'll start to flash from within the update app.
14. Once that finishes it'll have you reboot the phone.
15. You've now fully converted to the Global Firmware. Confirm this by going to settings > about phone and look at Build Number. Should say 10.0.6(as of the time of this post, I'll try to update this as I can)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--==
This is where we should be able to root. Once I can verify getting this setup and replicate it I will continue with the tutorial. Hopefully, everyone who reads this will find it helpful.

I'm having a issue when inflash globel my phone stays on Indian firmware
14th December 2019, 08:22 AM |#3  
Flag Wichita
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Are we 100% sure that WiFi/Data/Camera will be broken if you just go straight to Global? Because just this morning I flashed from TMO 10.0.4 to Global 10.0.6 using the fastboot flashable ROM with perfect VoLTE/WiFi/Camera...

Also fully rooted!

Edit: Updated to 10.0.7, kept root via Magisk Manager install to inactive slot.
14th December 2019, 02:22 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kansas City

More
Reserved for old instructions. Going from 10.0.7 and up the instructions were changed and certain steps weren't needed, like flashing Indian before Global.

Keeping these here just in case someone purchases a phone with older firmware and doesn't want to wait updating to the latest version.

Requirements:
ADB setup and working
Global OTA ZIP (grab the 10.0.6 from here)
Updated 10.0.7 OTA Build from hereas well
Indian Fastboot ROM(grab the latest from here)
Pre-Rooted 10.0.6 boot.img file here
Magisk Canery apk

This group of instructions are going to walk you through on how to unlock your bootloader. This is the first general step in converting your device into a global device.

1. Either follow the rules via T-Mobile (paid off and 40 days on the network) or visit this thread and get the hook up from our friend (send him some cash, for real I did this and it worked hopefully he keeps up with this for a while!). This will allow you to use the Unlock App to permanently unlock your phone.
5. You'll now need to submit a request for an unlock_code.bin file from OnePlus via this link. It takes a week. Seriously almost down to the second. There's no avoiding this. I've read several people try (myself included) all met with the same fate. Wait. 7 whole days. You'll get an email from OnePlus containing the unlock_code.bin file. Download this file and save it to your ADB folder.
6. Reboot your phone into fastboot--
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
This will unlock your bootloader and wipe your device

Now that you've unlocked your bootloader, lets get to flashing the Global Rom--

7. Extract the contents of the Indian Fastboot Rom zip folder directly into your ADB folder.
8. Open CMD (with admin rights) and navigate to your ADB folder. I've heard users try to use Powershell and while it works mostly, ymmv. I stick with CMD and haven't had any issues.
Mine would be--
Code:
This will also wipe your data, be sure to save anything that you need prior to running the following command.
Code:
flash-all.bat
10. If you've never flashed via fastboot before, this is going to spit a bunch of information to you that might look like garbage. Your phone will boot a few different times including into FastbootD (link for explanation) But it's telling you what it's flashing and how fast it's doing it. There's a common looking error that happens every time you do this. It says "Invalid sparce file format at header magic". This is normal, just ignore it and keep waiting. Once everything settles, the device will reboot by itself. If it doesn't, like bootloops to the bootloader, start over and go back to Step 5 and try again.
11. Once the device boots up, you should now be on the Indian build for the OnePlus 7T.
12. Be sure to copy the Global OTA to the root storage of your OnePlus 7T. If you haven't, do so now.
13. Reboot the phone and boot the Modded-boot.img file from the bootloader
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot modded-boot.img
14. Once the phone boots up, you should now have temp root. Go to settings > system updates and look for the gear on the top right-hand corner. If it's not there, something didn't flash right. Go Back to Step 2 and try again. Click on it and select Local Upgrade
15. Select the Global OTA file and it'll start to flash from within the update app. Let this finish before proceeding.
16. Install Magisk Manager Canary from here
17. Check in the middle of the screen for "advanced options" and make sure Preserve force encryption and preserve avb 2.0/dm-verify are checked.
18. Now look under the first Magisk check and make sure that it's telling you there's an update to "Magisk" and run through that update via direct install.
19. Once that finishes it'll have you reboot the phone.
20. You've now fully converted to the Global Firmware and Rooted. Confirm this by going to settings > about phone and look at Build Number. Should say 10.0.6(as of the time of this post, I'll try to update this as I can)

If you'd like to update to 10.0.7:
1. Download and move the OTA file for 10.0.7 to the root of your OP7T
2. Go to Settings > System > System Updates and look for the gear in the top right.
3. Select Local upgrade and select the update file for 10.0.7.
4. Let it run through and finish, don't reboot.
5. Open Magisk Manager
6. Update and select direct install to inactive boot partition to update.
7. Once this finishes, reboot and you're now on 10.0.7 rooted.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
14th December 2019, 03:34 PM |#5  
Flag Wichita
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit78

Yup, tried to be slick by going straight to Global and ran into this problem. Data worked for me but Camera was super unstable and Wifi was the only solid no that I got. Required more research to discover that this issue is avoided by flashing the indian rom first.

Tell me more about this. What steps did you take to do this? I'm thinking that once you flash the global ROM to reboot, and then use the a image-new.img that boots a temp-magisk to then use magisk canary to install magisk on the inactive slot (should be a right?)

Hmm I'll watch and see if my Camera is unstable but it seems fine so far.

To root I flashed (not booted) a 10.0.6 Magisk patched boot img (fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img) that someone posted in the "how to patch boot with Magisk" thread and installed Magisk Manager Canary.

I used Oxygen Updater to local update to 10.0.7 (it says 10.3.0 because of a typo from OnePlus, see another thread. It says 10.0.7 in settings) but make sure to download the full 2gb update not the 200 something mb incremental one because it will fail.

Then when the update is done, don't hit reboot, go to Magisk Manager, make sure you're set to the Canary channel (unless you patched the boot img yourself with something else) and install and choose inactive slot. Then you can hit reboot in Magisk.
14th December 2019, 04:35 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kansas City

More
Perfect, means I was thinking correctly with an extra unneeded reboot. Updated info in OP.
17th December 2019, 04:51 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Just now noticed this thread so I'll crosspost my applicable results from the MSM thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=113

I want to share my experience in case it might help someone else as I was quite confused for a while over the past few weeks trying to get off tmobile slow updates.
I can also confirm jumping straight from tmobile 10.0.4 to global 10.0.6 works. I didn't have the 10.0.7/10.3.0 downloaded and I have slow internet so I can't say if that would work but I have upgraded to it since via oxygen updater.

Basic steps how I got there is, assuming you know how to do stuff like enable dev mode and usb debugging
-sim unlock https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...cking-t4014053
-request bootloader unlock token and wait 7 days https://www.oneplus.com/unlock_token
-unlock bootloader
-get fastboot rom https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...us-7t-t3979213
-use all in one tool to flash flashboot rom https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ctory-t3358711
I told the AIO tool I had a oneplus 7 (7T not an option) and did "flash factory images", and chose wipe and reboot to be safe and just waited until the phone came back to factory setup screen

that's it. oxygen updater incremental update failed for 10.0.7/10.3.0 but full worked fine, I've never used oxygen updater until now so idk if that is fairly normal or not. VoLTE works, WiFi calling, etc all seem to be working as far as I can tell (although it seems the global doesn't have the quick select option to disable wifi calling like the tmobile rom did).

I've also now installed Magisk Canary, patched boot img and have certified play store now and google pay is fully functional and I have used camera for mobile banking deposit. Still no issues with wifi, camera, anything
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rgreen83 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rgreen83 Ad-Free
18th December 2019, 02:32 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Once converted to Global oos, will it support Dual SIM?
18th December 2019, 07:29 PM |#9  
Flag East Palo Alto
Thanks Meter: 166

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysfk7

Once converted to Global oos, will it support Dual SIM?

Yes it will support dual SIM as long as you have the dual SIM tray.
The Following User Says Thank You to R800x_user For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift R800x_user Ad-Free
19th December 2019, 11:13 AM |#10  
Flag Isla de Vieques
Thanks Meter: 217

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen83

Just now noticed this thread so I'll crosspost my applicable results from the MSM thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=113

I want to share my experience in case it might help someone else as I was quite confused for a while over the past few weeks trying to get off tmobile slow updates.
I can also confirm jumping straight from tmobile 10.0.4 to global 10.0.6 works. I didn't have the 10.0.7/10.3.0 downloaded and I have slow internet so I can't say if that would work but I have upgraded to it since via oxygen updater.

Basic steps how I got there is, assuming you know how to do stuff like enable dev mode and usb debugging
-sim unlock https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...cking-t4014053
-request bootloader unlock token and wait 7 days https://www.oneplus.com/unlock_token
-unlock bootloader
-get fastboot rom https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...us-7t-t3979213
-use all in one tool to flash flashboot rom https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ctory-t3358711
I told the AIO tool I had a oneplus 7 (7T not an option) and did "flash factory images", and chose wipe and reboot to be safe and just waited until the phone came back to factory setup screen

that's it. oxygen updater incremental update failed for 10.0.7/10.3.0 but full worked fine, I've never used oxygen updater until now so idk if that is fairly normal or not. VoLTE works, WiFi calling, etc all seem to be working as far as I can tell (although it seems the global doesn't have the quick select option to disable wifi calling like the tmobile rom did).

I've also now installed Magisk Canary, patched boot img and have certified play store now and google pay is fully functional and I have used camera for mobile banking deposit. Still no issues with wifi, camera, anything

FYI link to fastboot rom is broken.
19th December 2019, 05:54 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappyvate

FYI link to fastboot rom is broken.

Sorry bout that, crosspost fail
The Following User Says Thank You to rgreen83 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rgreen83 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)