FORUMS

[OP7T] Tool to root your device without patched boot.img

13 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By KyoshiDev, Junior Member on 14th April 2020, 11:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys, because there is unfortunately no fully working TWRP yet and lack of magisk patched boot.img for each rom, i decided to make a script to make things easier.
This script is based on the post https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=613 from @gpz1100, which is based on thread [GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 7T without TWRP by @mauronofrio

What does it do?
The script pull the boot image from your actual system and copy it to your PC.
Then you have to copy the boot image back to your device and patch it with Magisk Manager.
To prevent problems and bootloops the script will boot the patched image first, if anything went well the script will flash it subsequently.

Requirements:
  • unlocked bootloader
  • ADB/Fastboot installed
  • latest TWRP from here

Make sure the .bat and twrp image are in your adb/fastboot folder!!

How to use?
Download the .bat file, place it into your ADB/Fastboot directory and start it.
If windows shows a warning, then just click on "more informations" and then "run anyway".

If you trust me, dont trust the internet and check hash sum MD5 after downloading the file with:
Code:
CertUtil -hashfile <filename> MD5
MD5 checksum is: 303f338c32841ac752d24647ec6ede14

If you dont trust me there are several options:
  1. Use the guide from https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=613 from @gpz1100 and do it yourself
  2. or use any guide from [GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 7T without TWRP by @mauronofrio
  3. check the code on github here

If you run into problems/errors:
  1. Be sure the .bat file is located where adb.exe and fastboot.exe is
  2. If you need urgent root, than follow the guide mentioned above
  3. Be patient, i try to fix the problem as soon as possible

Only tested on Oneplus 7T with OxygenOS

Download from: google drive or from github

Credits:
topjohnwu - for Magisk
mauronofrio - for TWRP
gpz1100 - for his guide
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to KyoshiDev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KyoshiDev Ad-Free
26th June 2020, 09:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Will I still be rooted if I take an OTA update?

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Also at one point your after trying to pull the boot image from the phone the script says:

## checking for adb devices..
## device still not in custom recovery, retrying...

Yet the phone restarts. The script retries about 4 times then fails. I think at whatever set in the script before that occurs, it needs to fastboot into recovery rather than do a normal restart.
27th June 2020, 10:40 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipnslider

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Also at one point your after trying to pull the boot image from the phone the script says:

Yet the phone restarts. The script retries about 4 times then fails. I think at whatever set in the script before that occurs, it needs to fastboot into recovery rather than do a normal restart.

no, but you can root again with the tool
27th June 2020, 11:14 AM |#4  
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 881

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No. After ota you won't have root. But after installation of ota don't reboot and do this:

1. Open magisk manager
2. Install --> install after ota
3. Reboot.

Now you have updated system with root.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kollachi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kollachi Ad-Free
28th June 2020, 11:56 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

oh sorry i missed the second question,
the script should boot your phone into twrp recovery, where it get's adb access to pull the boot.img. Do you named the twrp img to TWRP.img?
29th June 2020, 06:55 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Yeah it was named TWRP.img but I actually had another problem going on with my device that I believe was causing this. Got it all fixed using that back to root/unbrick Msm.exe tool that someone else posted
1st July 2020, 04:34 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Worked flawlessly, got a little bit lost when the prompt about magisk came out then realised that I needed to copy files over, patch on the phone with the Magisk Manager app then copy files over again.

But once that's sorted, it worked with no issues
1st July 2020, 10:24 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Noob question but the flash of the modified boot.img would be a clean flash or a flash over the existing one,asking cause I haven't rooted a device and was wondering if this would erase all of my apps and existing settings?
2nd July 2020, 09:15 AM |#9  
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 881

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicalcokemonkey23

Noob question but the flash of the modified boot.img would be a clean flash or a flash over the existing one,asking cause I haven't rooted a device and was wondering if this would erase all of my apps and existing settings?

Flashing boot.img won't wipe your data. But unlocking the bootloader will reset your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kollachi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kollachi Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)