FORUMS

New way to personalize phone: a WAW

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By xdalgguy, Member on 17th April 2020, 10:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
New type of wallpaper adds a personalization twist
pers

Wallpapers have been around forever, in smartphone terms. There are two tribes to the species: Static and Live wallpapers. The static ones don't do much besides simply being aesthetically pleasing. Live Wallpapers on the other hand tend to be busy continuously running animation loop to entertain–or perhaps distract–the phone owner.
I felt that something was missing here with choices available, hence Why I developed this concept of a Wake-Animation wallpaper.
The idea in a nutshell is to have something greeting you everytime you unlock your phone–think of a dog eager to show 'I am your friend, here at your service! –yet won't distract with continuous animation loop.

To built my first WAW I used original art by Stephen Najarian, a talented illustrator working in the Fantasy genre.
The way the app works is: you would set it to both Lockscreen and Homescreen in Settings->Live Wallpapers. When the phone is Locked, you will see lockscreen image that may appear like a puzzle with some ambiguity to interpretation. Once the phone gets unlocked though, the wake animation starts playing, and the pieces to the puzzle fall in place, finally revealing an image from Najarian's series. This short story visually unfolds in under a second, while your Launcher dishes out the icons.

For illustration, here the Locksceen on the left shows fragment of a beast up-close, which may not be that obvious at a first glance.
As you unlock the phone and beast comes to life shooting lightnings all over, it becomes clear this is another one of Najarian dragons awakening.
pers
How well it works in practice? I share a few screen-action videos I took with app prototype at wakeanimation.org, take a look at it.

Beta APK available now: GooglePlay download link

Please share feedback/your experience.
Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdalgguy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdalgguy Ad-Free
18th April 2020, 01:46 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2,630

More
I like it. How would it be implemented, though?
19th April 2020, 04:07 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by estallings15

I like it. How would it be implemented, though?

Very much like a regular Live Wallpaper; after installing the APK you go to Settings->Live Wallpapers and check both the Homescreen and Lockscreen options for it to work properly/

I guess I would have to release an alpha to address these questions, will have to clean up my code and setup something, hopefully in couple weeks.
23rd April 2020, 02:14 AM |#4  
Flag I'm helpless and I'm awake, I'm in the undertow
Thanks Meter: 673

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdalgguy

New type of wallpaper adds a personalization twist

Wallpapers have been around forever, in smartphone terms. There are two tribes to the species: Static and Live wallpapers. The static ones don't do much besides simply being aesthetically pleasing. Live Wallpapers on the other hand tend to be busy continuously running animation loop to entertain–or perhaps distract–the phone owner.
I felt that something was missing here with choices available, hence Why I developed this concept of a Wake-Animation wallpaper.
The idea in a nutshell is to have something greeting you everytime you unlock your phone–think of a dog eager to show 'I am your friend, here at your service! –yet won't distract with continuous animation loop.

To built my first WAW I used original art by Stephen Najarian, a talented illustrator working in the Fantasy genre.
The way the app works is: you would set it to both Lockscreen and Homescreen in Settings->Live Wallpapers. When the phone is Locked, you will see lockscreen image that may appear like a puzzle with some ambiguity to interpretation. Once the phone gets unlocked though, the wake animation starts playing, and the pieces to the puzzle fall in place, finally revealing an image from Najarian's series. This short story visually unfolds in under a second, while your Launcher dishes out the icons.

For illustration, here the Locksceen on the left shows fragment of a beast up-close, which may not be that obvious at a first glance.
As you unlock the phone and beast comes to life shooting lightnings all over, it becomes clear this is another one of Najarian dragons awakening.

How well it works in practice? I share a few screen-action videos I took with app prototype at wakeanimation.org, take a look at it.
Sorry folks I don't have an app ready to offer for testing yet, but rather hope to hear if people find the concept worthy to keep pushing forward.

Thank you!

You know oneplus's love wallpapers have been like this for a year and a half now. This is really not a new concept, but hasn't been out on a mass scale
23rd April 2020, 09:02 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
My understanding is, what they have is: on Lockscreen they show some movement, then once unlocked the movement slows for the next 4-5 sec then stops. So the experience is a bit different, user experience.
Have you watched my video clips? really short ones, Do they help explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolhas4degrees

You know oneplus's love wallpapers have been like this for a year and a half now. This is really not a new concept, but hasn't been out on a mass scale

24th April 2020, 12:21 AM |#6  

More
Quote:

My understanding is, what they have is: on Lockscreen they show some movement, then once unlocked the movement slows for the next 4-5 sec then stops. So the experience is a bit different, user experience.
Have you watched my video clips? really short ones, Do they help explain?

Yes, they are about the same. When you unlock the phone it plays the animation for 3 seconds then stops. Yours is more customizable though
Ex oneplus
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2p036b27j...92841.mp4?dl=0
Download if you want to see it accurately
24th April 2020, 07:53 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
A major thing driving this for me was the Art itself, the art of Stephen Najarian.
The way I see it, the app would have a rotation of several animations, all based on different pieces of the artist.
Would you say Najarian's art is a good material to pick for a project like this, or it's just me/my taste?

BTW on 3 sec animation length: if you got enough icons on your desktop, I'd say 60% of the grid and up, I found then it degrades the "Visual candy" effect significantly.So in my view, transitional animations need to be shorter for the art to shine.
One idea could be though, for Launcher devs to add an optional Delay parameter to their app Settings, so as to push the Icon painting down may be 300 msec or whatever folks might like. I tried reaching out to several popular Open Source Launcher devs about the idea, noone really replied.

Quote:

Yes, they are about the same. When you unlock the phone it plays the animation for 3 seconds then stops. Yours is more customizable though
Ex oneplus

25th April 2020, 12:57 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

A major thing driving this for me was the Art itself, the art of Stephen Najarian.
The way I see it, the app would have a rotation of several animations, all based on different pieces of the artist.
Would you say Najarian's art is a good material to pick for a project like this, or it's just me/my taste?

BTW on 3 sec animation length: if you got enough icons on your desktop, I'd say 60% of the grid and up, I found then it degrades the "Visual candy" effect significantly.So in my view, transitional animations need to be shorter for the art to shine.
One idea could be though, for Launcher devs to add an optional Delay parameter to their app Settings, so as to push the Icon painting down may be 300 msec or whatever folks might like. I tried reaching out to several popular Open Source Launcher devs about the idea, noone really replied.

Actually for me I prefer many icons on my desktop. A dark bg. And not live wallpapers or opening animations bc I'm a power user and really enjoy my battery life. But art is good and fun love it. But I just wanted to show you this is not a new concept. Props on expanding it for customization
26th April 2020, 11:01 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
It would be great if this new concept will be implemented. Though low chances.
1st May 2020, 11:45 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Bummer! just tried your link below and get 404 That file isn’t here anymore
You sure it's correct?

Quote:

Ex oneplus

2nd May 2020, 01:55 AM |#11  

More
Quote:

Bummer! just tried your link below and get 404 That file isn’t here anymore
You sure it's correct?

Yeah I was showing the dev. Deleted vid takes up alot of space on my already full cloud storage
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)