FORUMS

VoLTE and VoWIFI in Australia

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By StelardActek, Member on 6th May 2020, 07:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm pretty sure neither VoLTE nor VoWIFI will work in Australia for this device out of the box, particularly for Telstra. Can anyone who bought one confirm?

Is there likely to be a way to get them to work with modifications?

I am quite interested in this phone, but sadly given the reception where I live, lack of VoWIFI support would be a dealbreaker.
6th May 2020, 10:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
You can enable VOLTE and VoWIFI with OnePlus Log Kit app.
Search with google: how-to-enable-volte-and-vowifi-on-oneplus-7-pro > theandroidsoul
The Following User Says Thank You to peddy2k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift peddy2k Ad-Free
7th May 2020, 12:15 AM |#3  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StelardActek

I'm pretty sure neither VoLTE nor VoWIFI will work in Australia for this device out of the box, particularly for Telstra. Can anyone who bought one confirm?

Is there likely to be a way to get them to work with modifications?

I am quite interested in this phone, but sadly given the reception where I live, lack of VoWIFI support would be a dealbreaker.

Follow this https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-t...oneplus-7-pro/

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisully For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrisully Ad-Free
7th May 2020, 12:58 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisully

Follow this https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-t...oneplus-7-pro/

Huh. That seems too simple. I had heard that Telstra in particular had a whitelist for which devices could access VoLTE on their network. Is that not the case?
7th May 2020, 01:00 AM |#5  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

Huh. That seems too simple. I had heard that Telstra in particular had a whitelist for which devices could access VoLTE on their network. Is that not the case?

No ideas mate. I'm in the UK but was not working for me out of the box. Followed that guide and working spot on now

7th May 2020, 01:27 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisully

No ideas mate. I'm in the UK but was not working for me out of the box. Followed that guide and working spot on now

Hm. Well I might see if I can find anyone in Aus that's bought one before I rush to shell out that amount of money. Thanks for the input tho!
7th May 2020, 05:08 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
FWIW - i'll be trying as soon as mine arrives and gets setup.

unit should arrive today :fingerscrossed: , then charge, setup, and i'll try this VoLTE (and yes i'm on Telstra too).

What'll be interesting is whether 5G just works as is or whether I have to request it to be added/enabled on my Telstra plan?
8th May 2020, 03:47 AM |#8  

More
@StelardActek - sooo followed the guide that's in above link. Fairly straight forward and then gives you the 2 toggle switches in your sim card settings... Can toggle both VoLTE & VoWiFi BUT icons don't change, so I don't actually know if it's working or just a toggle for the sake of having a toggle.
8th May 2020, 05:02 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiboi

@StelardActek - sooo followed the guide that's in above link. Fairly straight forward and then gives you the 2 toggle switches in your sim card settings... Can toggle both VoLTE & VoWiFi BUT icons don't change, so I don't actually know if it's working or just a toggle for the sake of having a toggle.

When you say icons, do you mean the status icons? Or do you mean the HD icon doesn't come up when making a call? AFAIK that's the only way to know if you're actually on VoLTE. Also VoWIFI will cut your call over to wifi a few seconds after connecting, if you're on wifi.
8th May 2020, 06:20 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 240

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiboi

Turn airplane mode on. Then turn wifi on and see if you can still make calls in airplane mode through wifi.
8th May 2020, 06:40 AM |#11  

More
Quote:

When you say icons, do you mean the status icons? Or do you mean the HD icon doesn't come up when making a call? AFAIK that's the only way to know if you're actually on VoLTE. Also VoWIFI will cut your call over to wifi a few seconds after connecting, if you're on wifi.

Yea I mean the status icon - I thought there was a 4G & VoLTE icon but I'm probably wrong.

A few quick tests -
  • Made call Wifi On - Dialer has HD icon on screen
  • Status bar icon stays the same - no indication of 4G/3G/H+ etc. , just the triangle bars
  • Minimised dialler - launched browser, did speedtest - get 94.12Mbps........
  • Hang up, status bar icon stays the same - no indication of 4G/3G/H+ etc. , just the triangle bars
  • Made call Wifi Off - Dialer has HD icon on screen
  • Status bar icon goes from 4G+ before dialling, to 3G during dialling, to H+ when call is connected..
  • Minimised dialler - launched browser, did speedtest - get 4.21Mbps........
  • Hang up, goes status bar icon goes from H+ back to 4G+

Not entirely sure what that all means now..

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathlynn22

Turn airplane mode on. Then turn wifi on and see if you can still make calls in airplane mode through wifi.

Just tried that - in the dialer app, a prompt comes up - "To Place a call, first turn off flight mode"
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)