FORUMS

Water resistant? Ip68? Not really.

329 posts
Thanks Meter: 61

By rasik80, Senior Member on 22nd June 2020, 03:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Or maybe I had a not perfect unit?

I had my oneplus 8 pro since 3 days. Went to the pool and submerged it not more than 50cm for just a few mins. Gently and slowly.

Some fog appeard almost immediately over all the lenses. On the inside part.

Right after the screen started throwing flash lights and the phone was obviously not working fine anymore. After a few more mins the phone died completely.

I dried the phone carefully and waited about 12 hours and it started to work again just fine.

I sent it back to Amazon and replaced with a new one the day after.

But my question is: was just a very unlucky unit? Or?

As a side note, I have been using my other phones (huawei Pxx pro) under water, also at the sea, a LOT of times and also deep, to make nice underwater videos and never had a single problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to rasik80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rasik80 Ad-Free
22nd June 2020, 03:34 PM |#2  
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 1,829

More
My question is, if you're not a tech writer or something of the sort, why would you purposely submerge your phone in water?

Did you try to dry it out in the microwave? I hear that works.
The Following User Says Thank You to spotmark For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spotmark Ad-Free
22nd June 2020, 03:35 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Worrying, to say the least...

Just had mine under a light rain and it was fine, but after your experience, I wouldn't want to risk emerging it in water, except by accident.
22nd June 2020, 03:43 PM |#4  
Smithtown, N.Y.
Thanks Meter: 314

More
I've seen several videos of people fully submerging the 8 pro in water with zero issues.
With that in mind, I still would never do that with mine on purpose.
22nd June 2020, 04:01 PM |#5  
Flag Tampa, Florida
Thanks Meter: 769

More
"water" vs "chlorinated water" are two different things

Personally, I never saw the appeal of the IP ratings. It's just extra insurance but not a free pass to just dunk it any water or any liquid and expect it to just last.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nosferatu. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nosferatu. Ad-Free
22nd June 2020, 05:18 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Using the phone in the water is something I do regularly with my huawei. I recorded amazing underwater landscapes and fishes at the red sea. Never had a single problem.
I will receive my new oneplus 8 pro tomorrow and will try it again. If it will fail again I will just replace it again and try for the third time. If it will fail again for the third time then I will just send it back and choose another phone.

It would be a shame cause I love the oneplus 8 pro. But for me the use underwater is a must. And with an ip68 rating I would expect it to have no problems underwater.

Anyway thanks to Amazon i can test and re-test for free.

I am positive that the units I received was faulty. Will keep this thread updated with the testing of the next units.
22nd June 2020, 11:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasik80

Using the phone in the water is something I do regularly with my huawei. I recorded amazing underwater landscapes and fishes at the red sea. Never had a single problem.
I will receive my new oneplus 8 pro tomorrow and will try it again. If it will fail again I will just replace it again and try for the third time. If it will fail again for the third time then I will just send it back and choose another phone.

It would be a shame cause I love the oneplus 8 pro. But for me the use underwater is a must. And with an ip68 rating I would expect it to have no problems underwater.

Anyway thanks to Amazon i can test and re-test for free.

I am positive that the units I received was faulty. Will keep this thread updated with the testing of the next units.

On the third replacement you will jump into Amazon blacklist. They will start asking you about many replacements.

They normally do this wirh expensive items. If you keep doing that you might be perma banned.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6013 mediante Tapatalk
22nd June 2020, 11:32 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Water resistance is not the same as water approved
23rd June 2020, 11:35 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Received the new oneplus 8 pro.

Tested immediately inside my pool. As a side note my pool do NOT have chlorinated water but water with bromium.

Results are interesting:

Submerged gently up to 1.5meters, been swimming with it in my swimsuit, left it on the bottom for more than 30 mins. Everything perfect. No fog on the lenses and no signs of water leaking inside at all.

Then I threw the phone in the pool from an height of about 60/100cm and... Here ya go! Water leaked inside. Fog over the lenses.

It's pretty weird cause I did the same with my p20 pro and p30 pro with zero problems.

I am going to send it back to Amazon again and get another one and test again for the last time.

Like I said, my phone must be able to swim and dive with me without problems. I still hope that my third unit will pass the test cause I consider the oneplus 8 pro the best phone at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to rasik80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rasik80 Ad-Free
23rd June 2020, 02:20 PM |#10  
Flag Bavaria
Thanks Meter: 27

More
lol
23rd June 2020, 03:01 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I´m never going to submerging my phone. It´s unnecessary and you never can be sure. I prefer to buy a gopro or similar.

For the same reason I don´t have a smartwatch, It´s not sure and I don´t wanna take off my watch, I go surfing almost everyday and no one smartwatch has 10 ATM resistance, only 5 ATM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ip68, water, water resistant

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)