Photo quality

Search This thread

kalinlondon

May 7, 2020
London
In the camera, go to Settings > Custom Modes > Add modes

Probably I was not very clear, which is completely my fault:
I just double checked to be sure, I have the PRO mode, where I can take photos (only photos) and I can adjust the ISO, WB, Shutters speed, etc., but when I want to shoot Video in the Video section of the camera app, I can shoot only in Auto mode, I don't have the PRO VIDEO mode, where I can adjust the same settings, but for video (WB, Shutters speed, WB).
That's why I was asking, do I need a third party app, like Filmic pro, or something esle, in order to be able to shoot Video with manual settings.

kalinlondon

May 7, 2020
London
Some samples and observations from me.
Oneplus 8 Pro
IN2020
10.5.6IN11AA (still no update to 10.5.8 - 15 May 2020)

I have this phone for a few days.
Before this phone I had Huawei P20 Pro and to be honest the photos from it were not much worse that this one.
The P20 Pro had really strong nice RAW - around 76MB and this one on the Oneplus 8 Pro is 22MB.

The camera is good, but I strongly believe there is more potential in the IMX689 sensor.
When I shoot RAW I have very strange odd White balance problem - when I try to edit in Lightroom and try to change it - there is a lot of pink/red tint.
If I must be honest - I had higher expectations for the RAW quality.
The center part has a good focus and details, but the edges suffer from softness and some lack of details (which is kind of normal for a phone sensor)
I really hope Oneplus will make it better with future updates, as the sensor is good, the auto-focus is good and Snapdragon is fast enough.
Testing the video - it is interesting and there is potential, will do more video test when I get the Filmic Pro, where I can manually set the WB/ISO and shutter.

Main camera – DNG RAW 12MP (edited in Lightroom)
IMG_20200514_192646.jpg

Ultra Wide camera – JPG (edited in Lightroom)
IMG_20200514_191419-1.jpg

IMG_20200514_191400.jpg

IMG_20200514_191021-1.jpg

IMG_20200514_185541.jpg

IMG_20200514_185315-1.jpg

I will keep testing and will update from time to time.

Regards,
K

kalinlondon

May 7, 2020
London
update

A small update:

Oneplus 8 Pro
IN2020
Ver. 10.5.6 (still no update, I hope it will come before Christmas)

I installed Gcam 7.3.018 by Urnyx05
I am not very familiar with it, so I didn't touch/change any config files.

A little observations from today about that version of Gcam:
- It produces 11MB DNG RAW files from the main camera (standard app produce 22MB RAW)
- The RAW files from the Gcam are with the proper WB/Tint - you can change it and IT IS NOT pink/red (the original camera app for Oneplus 8 Pro still delivers RAW files, where if you try to change the WB/Tint produce massive pink/red in the whole photo - not sure why, but this result form Gcam shows as I suspected that this is software problem that can be fixed).
- If I try to enable the ultra wide camera on Gcam - it crashes.
- It deliver only 12MPx photos (RAW and JPG)

And there a re very little difference between RAW/JPG at this very moment (well, no HDR on the RAW which is good)

You can see here on the example from today:

This is the JPG from the Gcam, 100%
12.jpg

This is the RAW from Gcam, again at 100%:
11.jpg

Reactions: maxmousee

issuuu

Dec 20, 2018
Had a little mooch around St James park for exercise during lockdown.

+1

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Had a little mooch around St James park for exercise during lockdown.

Well, the indoor AWB is quite awful. I don't know whats wrong

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DoonEwtPBPvaE8jJ7

The one OK is from Huawei P30 Pro
:good:

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

:good:
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the OnePlus 8 Pro come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

kopkiwi

Apr 21, 2010
One thing I really miss from the iPhone 11 Pro Max is be able to manually change the shutter speed in low light. Such a simple but effective feature.

kalinlondon

May 7, 2020
London
People, post photos :)

Another small update from me.

Went for my daily exercise yesterday and today and took a few photos with my Oneplus 8 Pro around.

Main Wide camera
12MP RAW
Edited in Lightroom.
Again some funny thing with the WB, but actually if you take it all the way to the right and play with the colors, can be ok-ish...

I still think with a few updates we can get a little bit better details.

IMG_20200523_161704.jpg

IMG_20200523_162505.jpg

IMG_20200523_162441.jpg

IMG_20200524_195547-2.jpg

kopkiwi

Apr 21, 2010
Any body else having an issue in nightscape where the shutter speed doesn't change? Even on a tripod with longer exposure it still takes an instant snap

Mtha86

Feb 28, 2018
Got a replacement device , because of lens flare effects on my old device .. guess what? Same thing with new device when sun shines into the lens from a certain angle.... but people telling me i have a broken device at first were wrong...
It seems to be normal... cant understand how some people didnt notice this , and told me they dont have that effect.. i am sure i can reproduce it on every OP 8 Pro.

The phone can shoot great photos, and shadowing the cam with the hand makes the problem dissapear...

Reactions: Batfink33

kalinlondon

May 7, 2020
London
Got a replacement device , because of lens flare effects on my old device .. guess what? Same thing with new device when sun shines into the lens from a certain angle.... but people telling me i have a broken device at first were wrong...
It seems to be normal... cant understand how some people didnt notice this , and told me they dont have that effect.. i am sure i can reproduce it on every OP 8 Pro.

The phone can shoot great photos, and shadowing the cam with the hand makes the problem dissapear...

I guess the flare effect is due to not the best lens coating + software processing which actually can be and I think it will be improved with future software updates).
I have it as well, but when I don't want it, just trying to shoot from another angle to avoid/minimize it.

To be honest I am happy so far with the results from the camera.
I had much bigger expectations as I am shooting mainly with Full frame camera, but I guess I want too much :)

Reactions: Mtha86

Mtha86

Feb 28, 2018
I guess the flare effect is due to not the best lens coating + software processing which actually can be and I think it will be improved with future software updates).
I have it as well, but when I don't want it, just trying to shoot from another angle to avoid/minimize it.

To be honest I am happy so far with the results from the camera.
I had much bigger expectations as I am shooting mainly with Full frame camera, but I guess I want too much :)

Yes, contacted Oneplus as soon as i noticed it. They told me they give it to technical support, and maybe do an OTA..
Its surley a good cam, but not the best. At that price tag it should deliver more in my opinion.

Bought a Spiegen tough Armor case, it covers the lens well.. hoping it will be more in shadow, and not have this effect that often :)

Reactions: kalinlondon

godlike100

Jan 24, 2012
I've tried the Google Camera, and it's only good for selfies. Anything else is worse than stock Camera app.

Agree totally. And I reckon for portraits only better in half bad lightning. Not else. Dropped gcam for most parts since going from 7 pro to 8 pro. It's night and day difference between the phones.

arsenal74

Nov 23, 2016
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Interesting. With the right GCAM and config file the OP7 improved a lot. So those using GCAM on the 7 Pro may not see a huge difference with the camera?

Maybe it is down to the new larger sensor, similar over on Samsung, usually by now the Snapdragon Galaxies have a really good gcam option but this year there does not seem to be one.

laurentg

Dec 23, 2006
I am underwhelmed too. I took a few shots inside for my daughter's birthday and the quality is just not as good as S10+ or even iPhone X.

The flare is unacceptable. I was very upbeat when I got the device, but the camera has to be top notch and it is not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some samples and observations from me.
    Oneplus 8 Pro
    IN2020
    10.5.6IN11AA (still no update to 10.5.8 - 15 May 2020)

I have this phone for a few days.
    Before this phone I had Huawei P20 Pro and to be honest the photos from it were not much worse that this one.
    The P20 Pro had really strong nice RAW - around 76MB and this one on the Oneplus 8 Pro is 22MB.

The camera is good, but I strongly believe there is more potential in the IMX689 sensor.
    When I shoot RAW I have very strange odd White balance problem - when I try to edit in Lightroom and try to change it - there is a lot of pink/red tint.
    If I must be honest - I had higher expectations for the RAW quality.
    The center part has a good focus and details, but the edges suffer from softness and some lack of details (which is kind of normal for a phone sensor)
    I really hope Oneplus will make it better with future updates, as the sensor is good, the auto-focus is good and Snapdragon is fast enough.
    Testing the video - it is interesting and there is potential, will do more video test when I get the Filmic Pro, where I can manually set the WB/ISO and shutter.

IMG_20200514_192646.jpg

IMG_20200514_191419-1.jpg

IMG_20200514_191400.jpg

IMG_20200514_191021-1.jpg

IMG_20200514_185541.jpg

IMG_20200514_185315-1.jpg

I will keep testing and will update from time to time.

Regards,
    K
    Did a 15sec long exposure in Pro mode. I live in the DC Metro area so it's not exactly the best place for astro, but I'd say the camera is pretty damn good.
    A few more.

All photos shot with Oneplus 8 Pro main wide camera.
    12 MPx RAW mode
    edited in Lightroom
    Still has this strange WB thing, with lots of red/pink tint, but after you play with the colors can give some acceptable results.

IMG_20200603_172641-2.jpg

IMG_20200604_191555.jpg

IMG_20200604_192522.jpg

IMG_20200603_173040.jpg
    2 weeks of using this phone and I can say the camera is awesome. If you buy 940nm lamp you can use your Oneplus 8 pro as night vision device. Second picture in attachment is taken in complete dark with infared light
    People, post photos :)

Another small update from me.

Went for my daily exercise yesterday and today and took a few photos with my Oneplus 8 Pro around.

Main Wide camera
    12MP RAW
    Edited in Lightroom.
    Again some funny thing with the WB, but actually if you take it all the way to the right and play with the colors, can be ok-ish...

I still think with a few updates we can get a little bit better details.

IMG_20200523_161704.jpg

IMG_20200523_162505.jpg

IMG_20200523_162441.jpg

IMG_20200524_195547-2.jpg