FORUMS

cases for OnePlus 8

431 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By Eggstones, Senior Member on 21st April 2020, 10:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Has anyone tried any of the cases for the OnePlus 8?
23rd April 2020, 01:43 PM |#2  
Flag Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 27

More
LewLater Case on pre-order. It's not the cheapest case especially factoring in the shipping cost but I prefer to have a barely-there, slim case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deano1889 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Deano1889 Ad-Free
23rd April 2020, 02:24 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Wow that's quite expensive
23rd April 2020, 07:03 PM |#4  
Cluj-Napoca
Thanks Meter: 121

More
I bought one from LaterCase which is yet to arrive
24th April 2020, 11:49 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I have the Cyan sandstone protective case and the nylon bumper with the pop-up box.
I love the nylon bumper
11th May 2020, 01:41 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1,316

More
I've ordered a couple of cases from Amazon, one is a matte transparent case w/black TPU side bumper:

OnePlus 8 Case [Frosting Transparent Back] Ultra-Thin Soft TPU [Shock Absorption] Slim Fit Lightweight Shockproof Armor Cover Hybrid Protective Case Compatible with Oneplus 8 (Black, 1+8) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087CW225G..._6WjUEbE6JCY8G

This is the one I'm actually after, a matte transparent Frameless Case (arrival estimate 2+ months from now, so, I ordered the one above in the meantime) :

OnePlus 8 Frameless Case, EabHulie Slim Translucent Hard Back Matte Skin Soft TPU Bumper Corners Shockproof Case Cover for OnePlus 8 Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881W9VBG..._1ZjUEbZX8D19V

I used the same Frameless Case on the OnePlus 7T Pro (fits the OnePlus 7 Pro as well) & it performed well for what I was wanting, minimal coverage & preventing accidental edge touches. It actually did that a bit too well on the sides, but, I adjusted to it, better than the alternative of a bulky case or, going sans case.
As the edge contours seem to be less dramatic vs the OP7 Pro / OP7T Pro, hoping they nailed it on the side coverage/touch sensitivity sweet spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200510-193922_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	5016063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200510-194047_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	5016065  
11th May 2020, 10:23 AM |#7  
Flag Rochdale
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I've done a review of 3 flip cases - see the other post in this forum
12th May 2020, 11:21 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I highly recommend the Tudia Merge. It's a dual layer case - TPU and Plastic. Fits really well, buttons still feel good. I've used the Merge cases for my past several OnePlus phones, and all have been great.
https://www.amazon.com/TUDIA-Designe...9278870&sr=8-5
12th May 2020, 03:17 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Anyone know where to buy the original sandstone case from other than 1+ direct with silly postage fees
17th May 2020, 01:11 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,316

More
Just picked up this case from T-Mobile US, from their budget conscious brand GoTo:

https://www.t-mobile.com/accessory/g...r-oneplus-8-5g

My 2ยข/ Pros & Cons.

Pro:

1) Availability, shouldn't be too difficult to find a T-Mobile store that has it in stock, especially with the phone still being relatively new.

2) Fit is excellent, cutouts are precise. The camera cutout extends well below the flash, not a deal breaker, but, I think they should have opted for a more precise cutout for the lenses & a separate hole for the flash. Perhaps this was a cost-cutting measure.....

3) Feel in hand is acceptable, neither the slimmest or bulkiest case I've used.
For feel in hand perspective, if you've used a RhinoShield Crash Guard bumper, this case is slimmer in the grip,a lot more comfortable vs the Crash Guard bumper.

Cons:

1) Price isn't insane, but, I do feel it's a bit much @ $19.99. Sure, it's about 1/2 the price of other cases sold by T-Mobile, but, as everyone here is painfully aware, carrier accessories are grossly overpriced,

So yeah, this case is overpriced vs Amazon/AliExpress/eBay & in a lot of instances, buying direct from the mfg w/a discount code.

2) The volume/notification slider cut-out, while precise,is a bit cramped for one-handed use. Not a biggie for me, I rarely use it, but, for those where this is a priority, perhaps this case is not for you.
Fortunately, the box for the case (at least mine) was not sealed, so, if buying from a brick & mortar store, you should be able to try it out before buying

Misc:
The design of the backside is a bit weird in the looks department, reminiscent of poor 'ol HTC's earlier efforts in the "big chin" look on the front of their phones.
To me, it's not a big deal, but, if I were choosing in-store w/a comparably priced/designed case w/o the "chin'", I'd opt for the other case.
Ditto on the branding of the "GoTo" logo. It's actually not that noticeable, but, again, same scenario just mentioned, I'd opt for the competition.

FWIW, I loathe cases w/branding, as most go overboard w/it, I prefer minimal/unbranded cases, typically one color/material when possible, less is more for my usage.

Would I recommend it?
Sure, it strikes a good balance of form/function (less the slider cutout). If you need a case ASAP for the unlocked or T-Mobile version, it's a worthwhile case.

However, if you don't mind waiting for mail order from wherever you shop online, you could probably find a case that fits your needs at a better price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200516-182623.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	5020395  
18th May 2020, 03:39 PM |#11  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 43

More
I ordered the transparent TPU & carbon fiber cases from OnePlus when I ordered my OP8. Both are way too slippery. Ordered a Rinke Fusion X on Amazon, and I like it much better.

Pros:
- Very grippy!
- Good side & corner protection
- Transparent back shows off phone color nicely

Cons:
- Raised plastic "button guards" make finding buttons by feel a touch difficult
- Minimal front protection

Overall rating: 4.5 Stars

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0861ZB3JP
The Following User Says Thank You to A30N For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift A30N Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)