FORUMS

Locked APN

19 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By bingobill, Junior Member on 21st May 2020, 10:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is there anyway to make the APN editable without rooting as I use a couple of banking apps that I can't do without ?

It was possible with my OnePlus 5 with Android 9.
21st May 2020, 10:11 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,316

More
What happens when you try to add an APN?

Give this thread from last year a look (another model, naturally, but, it may apply).

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/h...ttings.981063/
21st May 2020, 11:49 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Can't edit the auto APN as it's greyed out.

Thank you, yes that helped, I can now create a new APN and save it but I can't select it or delete the automatic APN.
22nd May 2020, 03:18 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingobill

Can't edit the auto APN as it's greyed out.

Thank you, yes that helped, I can now create a new APN and save it but I can't select it or delete the automatic APN.

I slightly altered my T-Mobile APN for a 2nd APN (changed the APN Protocol & APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4/IPv6).

Ran a speed test & it works. Perhaps it's not enough of a change to the original APN, but, I was able to select it.

I did find that once it's saved, to select another APN, you have to tap directly on the corresponding dot for the selected APN to change. If you just tap on it w/o tapping the dot, it won't select & just stay on whatever you're currently using.
22nd May 2020, 12:45 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOLIOSIS

I slightly altered my T-Mobile APN for a 2nd APN (changed the APN Protocol & APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4/IPv6).

Ran a speed test & it works. Perhaps it's not enough of a change to the original APN, but, I was able to select it.

I did find that once it's saved, to select another APN, you have to tap directly on the corresponding dot for the selected APN to change. If you just tap on it w/o tapping the dot, it won't select & just stay on whatever you're currently using.

Well, I managed to create a new APN by temporarily using a different carrier sim but no dot so unable to select it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apn.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	5024203  
22nd May 2020, 01:13 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

Well, I managed to create a new APN by temporarily using a different carrier sim but no dot so unable to select it

Do you have a carrier-locked version?
If so, I'm guessing that may be the issue, even though mine is a T-Mobile US carrier locked version. (still SIM Locked) & I can get a 2nd APN to select.

I don't have another carrier SIM Card to see if I'd have the same issue as you. Perhaps someone else will be able to help w/a 2nd SIM/APN.
22nd May 2020, 01:20 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
No it's an unlocked OnePlus 8 bought from Amazon.

I believe though that carriers are requesting locked APNs or pushing them to the phone and is a problem since Android 10.

Another sim I tried from a different carrier is also locked.

Anyway your suggestions are appreciated.
22nd May 2020, 09:04 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

No it's an unlocked OnePlus 8 bought from Amazon.

I believe though that carriers are requesting locked APNs or pushing them to the phone and is a problem since Android 10.

Another sim I tried from a different carrier is also locked.

Anyway your suggestions are appreciated.

Yeah, troubleshooting is difficult when neither the mfg or carrier(s) want to take ownership of the issue.

Since the phone is SIM Unlocked, I'd start with the carrier & see if they have to whitelist your device (by IMEI) or whatever means they require for BYOD. I'd grab the SIM Card serial number as well before you give 'em a call.
The Following User Says Thank You to KOLIOSIS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KOLIOSIS Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)