Overall love

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the OnePlus 8, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the OnePlus 8 is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
My review of an OP8.

OK - here's my 4 day review of my OnePlus 8. Just FYI, I had (and still have) a OnePlus 5, whic I will probably give to my Father.

Day 1. The box arrives. I ordered one of the PopUp boxes which has in it two extra backs (green and black) as well as a transparent one. It also comes with the OpenPLus Z headphones. It's a large box and came in an even larger cardboard box with padding.

I unboxed it and checked - it had 51% charge, so I deemed it OK to start installing. It connected to my network and immediately did an O/S upgrade. All the normal Android stuff then proceeded and I was up and running.
I used InePlus switch to get all my apps and data across from the old OP5. The only thing it missed was all my WhasApp history - but that may be because I installed it first.

Day 2. I'd fully charged it during the day and I left it unplugged overnight. It lost 5%. Considering it's a new device, I thought that was OK. So, out for a walk to check the GPS (my OP5 would not work properly) and see how the camera was. GPS still suffered and I was considering sending it back. See Day 3. Camera is lovely. Just having OIS is a vast improvement and the quality is well acceptable for a phone (I'm a camera nut and have some quite good ones). I'll play more later. I ordered a 5G sim.

Played with the OP Z headphones. They are nice but a bit bassy. So, as I use VLC and that has an equaliser, I turned the bass down a bit - and that made all the difference.

Day 3. Decided that OnePlus can't have screwed up GPS that badly. So investigated. I found that GPS was set to 'advanced' which meant it pulled in location information from phone masts and wifi. Not sure how that makes it advanced, so I disabled it. Went out for another walk with my tracking app - no issues. Humm. I wonder if my OP5 would have done that?

Played with panorama mode. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'll use it much as it curves everything around the horizon which is not what I expected. Tried out the slo-mo mode. Yes, I can see some uses for that.

Played around with the screen. Decided I don't like curved screens that much as the edges (where it tails away) are hard to press and that's where odd things are that you need to press. But I guess I'll get used to it. Tried my Kindle app. It went over the camera. OK - set it so the screen doesn't include the camera, but it would be nice if that could be done pn an app by app basis rather than all or nothing. OnePlus decided I needed yet another O/S upgrade, so I let it do that.

Day 4 - Out for another walk, this time with a couple of Garmin devices. GPS is still OK - a bit optimistic (it gave me 2.6 miles where Garmin gave me 2.5) but that may be the app. Had my OP Z headphones on - very comfy. Played more with the camera. The macro is really good. 2x is OK, more than that, I won't bother.

Tried my Readly app (magazine reading) whic doesn't really suit the phones aspect ratio. Oh yes, tried making phone calls. Call quality is superb.

I've ordered a flip case. Should be here by the end of May (has to come from China).

Overall? If I'd know what I know now, I'd probably have ordered a 7T but only because it has a flat screen, and I'd lose out on the 5G (which we have in my area). The PopUP version gave me £100 worth of freebies which was nice.

Comments and questions welcomed.

Alan

KingUsman

Aug 4, 2013
OnePlus 8
OK - here's my 4 day review of my OnePlus 8. Just FYI, I had (and still have) a OnePlus 5, whic I will probably give to my Father.

Day 1. The box arrives. I ordered one of the PopUp boxes which has in it two extra backs (green and black) as well as a transparent one. It also comes with the OpenPLus Z headphones. It's a large box and came in an even larger cardboard box with padding.

I unboxed it and checked - it had 51% charge, so I deemed it OK to start installing. It connected to my network and immediately did an O/S upgrade. All the normal Android stuff then proceeded and I was up and running.
I used InePlus switch to get all my apps and data across from the old OP5. The only thing it missed was all my WhasApp history - but that may be because I installed it first.

Day 2. I'd fully charged it during the day and I left it unplugged overnight. It lost 5%. Considering it's a new device, I thought that was OK. So, out for a walk to check the GPS (my OP5 would not work properly) and see how the camera was. GPS still suffered and I was considering sending it back. See Day 3. Camera is lovely. Just having OIS is a vast improvement and the quality is well acceptable for a phone (I'm a camera nut and have some quite good ones). I'll play more later. I ordered a 5G sim.

Played with the OP Z headphones. They are nice but a bit bassy. So, as I use VLC and that has an equaliser, I turned the bass down a bit - and that made all the difference.

Day 3. Decided that OnePlus can't have screwed up GPS that badly. So investigated. I found that GPS was set to 'advanced' which meant it pulled in location information from phone masts and wifi. Not sure how that makes it advanced, so I disabled it. Went out for another walk with my tracking app - no issues. Humm. I wonder if my OP5 would have done that?

Played with panorama mode. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'll use it much as it curves everything around the horizon which is not what I expected. Tried out the slo-mo mode. Yes, I can see some uses for that.

Played around with the screen. Decided I don't like curved screens that much as the edges (where it tails away) are hard to press and that's where odd things are that you need to press. But I guess I'll get used to it. Tried my Kindle app. It went over the camera. OK - set it so the screen doesn't include the camera, but it would be nice if that could be done pn an app by app basis rather than all or nothing. OnePlus decided I needed yet another O/S upgrade, so I let it do that.

Day 4 - Out for another walk, this time with a couple of Garmin devices. GPS is still OK - a bit optimistic (it gave me 2.6 miles where Garmin gave me 2.5) but that may be the app. Had my OP Z headphones on - very comfy. Played more with the camera. The macro is really good. 2x is OK, more than that, I won't bother.

Tried my Readly app (magazine reading) whic doesn't really suit the phones aspect ratio. Oh yes, tried making phone calls. Call quality is superb.

I've ordered a flip case. Should be here by the end of May (has to come from China).

Overall? If I'd know what I know now, I'd probably have ordered a 7T but only because it has a flat screen, and I'd lose out on the 5G (which we have in my area). The PopUP version gave me £100 worth of freebies which was nice.

Alan

How is the overall size and weight of the device compared to the OnePlus 5?

lemon07r

Apr 8, 2013

Alan

The curved edges is the only thing putting me off from buying this phone. Would have already ordered one otherwise. Almost bit the bullet and ordered one anyways, thinking maybe I wont hate the curved edges that much, but since you've already done that for us I'd rather just get your impression first. I'm considering getting the OP7T, Realme X2 Pro, Oppo Ace2 or Poco F2 Pro at this point, do you think you would have liked one of these flat display phones more?

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
I've got used to the curved edge and don't really notice it any more. Is it better than at 7T? I can't really say, but considering I use my headphones when out and they are really comfy, I'm glad I got the boxed set on day 1.

At the moment, the only irritating thing is the display - the adaptive stuff doesn't really work (too granular) but I have to use it in bright sunlight as it seems to be brighter with it on. But even that is very minor. Battery life is very good. With all my apps loaded and just display off, it loses less that 0.4% each hour. (in 12 hours of not using it, it lost 4%). That's with Wifi and bluetooth turned on and a poor 4G signal.

It's had 3 or 4 O/S upgrades since I bought it. Which is good as it means OnePlus are on the ball. I'm just waiting for Wifi Calling to be enabled in the UK (OnePlus - are you listening here?).

Alan

shock-UK

May 16, 2006
Coming from an OP6, I'm slightly finding it hard to love. Or love as much.

I had the OP5, went to OP6 and I loved the changes.

Now going from the 6 to the 8, not sure I made the right choice!!

Let me explain..
1. The 6 was far easier to hold, the 8 just feels a bit cumbersome compared.
2. The fingerprint sensor on the 6 was amazingly good. On the 8, it's not as accurate, on the wrong side, and at night it's like the flash light coming on. Should have kept it at the back. But I suppose Apple got rid of it so OnePlus had to pretend it got rid of it too.
3. The curved screen is just annoying, as selecting anything on the curved part is bound to fail on the first try.
4. No head phone socket? Just why? Again I suppose Apple got rid of it so OnePlus had to copy.
5. The new sandstone cover isn't as thin, looks a bit budget and rather chunky like the old bumper covers. Without the cover is very slippery and hard to hold.
6. No more notification LED on the 8, Oneplus phones don't have an always on display, so the LED light was a nice feature. Now you get neither.

I'll keep using it, hopefully will get used to it more..

Last edited:

lemon07r

Apr 8, 2013
Coming from an OP6, I'm slightly finding it hard to love. Or love as much.

I had the OP5, went to OP6 and I loved the changes.

Now going from the 6 to the 8, not sure I made the right choice!!

Let me explain..
1. The 6 was far easier to hold, the 8 just feels a bit cumbersome compared.
2. The fingerprint sensor on the 6 was amazingly good. On the 8, it's not as accurate, on the wrong side, and at night it's like the flash light coming on. Should have kept it at the back. But I suppose Apple got rid of it so OnePlus had to pretend it got rid of it too.
3. The curved screen is just annoying, as selecting anything on the curved part is bound to fail on the first try.
4. No head phone socket? Just why? Again I suppose Apple got rid of it so OnePlus had to copy.
5. The new sandstone cover isn't as thin, looks a bit budget and rather chunky like the old bumper covers. Without the cover is very slippery and hard to hold.
6. No more notification LED on the 8, Oneplus phones don't have an always on display, so the LED light was a nice feature. Now you get neither.

I'll keep using it, hopefully will get used to it more..

That's something I've always wondered.. why use a screen side fingerprint scanner. Backside ones are easier to use, faster and more accurate.

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
I don't have any issues with the fingerprint reader where it is. I came from a OP5 so I guess I'm just used to it being there.

Alan

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Melbourne
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've got used to the curved edge and don't really notice it any more. Is it better than at 7T? I can't really say, but considering I use my headphones when out and they are really comfy, I'm glad I got the boxed set on day 1.

Alan

Hey,

I have a 7T and I'm considering the 8 for the 5G, the 12 GB of RAM, the great battery life, and the slightly lighter weight, but the curved edge can be turn-off, and of course the 8 Pro is heavier and more expensive.

What are your thoughts on the 8 after almost a year? Are you rocking a case? Would you make that switch from a 7T if you had it?

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
No, I wouldn't switch. I don't think it's enough of a leap. To be honest, my OP5 was nice enough apart from the camera and the GPS, both of which were substandard. I think the 7T is plenty good enough. I have only ever had a 5G signal once since I got it and 4G seems to be fine.

Alan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My review of an OP8.

Alan
    Does it work with the screen off?
    Yes.

Can add LED simulation by default, in pro more flexibility to choose icons of apps as notification and size can be changed. I ended up using LED option though i purchased premium.

It definitely serves the purpose as a notification LED. no issues so far. Battery usage is also less.