FORUMS

[GUIDE] How to root OnePlus Nord

984 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,311
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Devices that started to be received today have Oxygen OS 10.5 out of the box.
No flashable zip for that software release is publicly available, meaning its stock boot.img cannot be extracted.

You then need to update to a newer build first. You can do so from my OxygenOS builds repo thread.

Once done, enable developers options and enable OEM unlock.
Reboot to fastboot (enable USB debugging in dev options and use adb reboot bootloader)
Type fastboot oem unlock and accept to unlock bootloader (warning: as a safety measure Android will wipe your userdata)
Go through OxygenOS setup
Install Magisk Manager from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/...ger-v7.5.1.apk
Move stock boot.img to your phone internal storage (please open spoiler)

For your convenience, 10.5.2 stock boot.img for EU and India have been extracted
EU download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18aP...ew?usp=sharing
India download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZIE...ew?usp=sharing

For future builds, you can use payload dumper (Windows) , (Linux ) to extract stock boot.img


Click on Install
Choose "Select and patch a file"
Select your stock boot.img
Wait until Magisk patches your boot.img, and once patched it can be found in the Downloads folder
Copy that patched boot.img (which should be named magisk_patched.img) to your computer
Boot into fastboot again
Type fastboot getvar current-slot into your terminal window and press Enter.
If the output is a , type fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img into your terminal window and press Enter.
If the output is b , type fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img into your terminal window and press Enter.
Reboot to OxygenOS

Open Magisk Manager and your device should now be rooted.

TIPS:
- Ensure you got latest platform tools installed from https://developer.android.com/studio...platform-tools
- Backup your /persist once rooted (dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img) and save it somewhere on your cloud/computer, this might save you from a broken fingerprint sensor and an RMA in the future if it turns out this device has same issue as 8-series when it comes to crossflash regional builds of OOS.

Credits:
@topjohnwu for making Magisk
/u/Jisifus for testing on his device and for screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200728-133254.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	5069935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200728-133327.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	5069937  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Some_Random_Username For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Some_Random_Username Ad-Free
28th July 2020, 01:50 PM |#2  
Kollachi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 916
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Username


TIPS:
- Ensure you got latest platform tools installed from https://developer.android.com/studio...platform-tools
- Backup your /persist once rooted (dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img) and save it somewhere on your cloud/computer, this might save you from a broken fingerprint sensor and an RMA in the future if it turns out this device has same issue as 8-series when it comes to crossflash regional builds of OOS.

Great to see it works this way and thanks for the tip.
28th July 2020, 02:41 PM |#3  
Junior Member
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
do u lose all data while rooting?

#edit1
nevermind, cannot read right
28th July 2020, 05:13 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 1,285
 
More
OK, will give this a try asap,have the device here now...
28th July 2020, 08:15 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
I gave it a try, works like a charm! Thanks for this! Small tip, unlock bootload before u copy your files

now my phone is a bit laggy. with magisk on it.. i will test it later if its getting better
The Following User Says Thank You to Knightrid3r For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Knightrid3r Ad-Free
28th July 2020, 10:06 PM |#6  
Displax's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kyiv
Thanks Meter: 519
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Username

Type fastboot getvar current-slot into your terminal window and press Enter.
If the output is a , type fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img into your terminal window and press Enter.
If the output is b , type fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img into your terminal window and press Enter.

You can simply type "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img" - it flash boot to current active slot. Just for note.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Displax For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Displax Ad-Free
28th July 2020, 10:55 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 1,285
 
More
Can confirm that it works, just tried it myself
29th July 2020, 01:40 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 461
 
More
If WiFi/data does not work (usually happens when you flash wrong version, but can also happen if you flash correct one), fastboot boot the image, then do a direct install in Magisk Manager.

Also, big thumbs up for adding tips for persist backup, I see too many people needing to send their device back because they messed it up somehow.
29th July 2020, 03:30 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Failed for me :(
Hi and thanks for the tips.

Running 10.5.2 (latest build) and Bootloader is unlocked.

1: Downloaded EU BootImage File suggested (10.5.2.AC01BA.boot.img - 101MB)
2: Went to Magisk Manager, Advanced Settings, Recovery Mode Ticked, Install Magisk, Install, Select and Patch a File - Browse to 10.5.2.AC01BA.boot.img in Downloads and select.
3: Command Window appears detailing successful patching of ramdisk and also location of the newly created magisk_patched.img (37.52MB???????????????)
4: Size of new boot image looks suspiciously small.
5: Copied magisk_patched.img to PC and rebooted phone into fastboot.
6: Issued the fastboot getvar current-slot command - mine is reported as b
7: Issued the fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img - File flashed OK - Reboot (Start) Phone.
8: 30 seconds of unlocked bootloader warning screen followed by 10 secs black screen followed by Qualcom Crash Dump. Rebooted phone three times - same result.
9: Rebooted phone into fastboot mode, reflashed the stock boot image and all now OK (but obviously not rooted).

Would be grateful if anyone could advise - the magisk_patched.img looks suspiciously small to me at 37.52MB compared to 101MB for the original boot image.

Thanks
10: Double checked the patching process again in Magisk and again, patched bootimage filesize is on 37.52MB.
11: I have saved log from patching process and on reading, all looks OK.
29th July 2020, 06:19 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 461
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwengineering

Hi and thanks for the tips.

Running 10.5.2 (latest build) and Bootloader is unlocked.

1: Downloaded EU BootImage File suggested (10.5.2.AC01BA.boot.img - 101MB)
2: Went to Magisk Manager, Advanced Settings, Recovery Mode Ticked, Install Magisk, Install, Select and Patch a File - Browse to 10.5.2.AC01BA.boot.img in Downloads and select.
3: Command Window appears detailing successful patching of ramdisk and also location of the newly created magisk_patched.img (37.52MB???????????????)
4: Size of new boot image looks suspiciously small.
5: Copied magisk_patched.img to PC and rebooted phone into fastboot.
6: Issued the fastboot getvar current-slot command - mine is reported as b
7: Issued the fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img - File flashed OK - Reboot (Start) Phone.
8: 30 seconds of unlocked bootloader warning screen followed by 10 secs black screen followed by Qualcom Crash Dump. Rebooted phone three times - same result.
9: Rebooted phone into fastboot mode, reflashed the stock boot image and all now OK (but obviously not rooted).

Would be grateful if anyone could advise - the magisk_patched.img looks suspiciously small to me at 37.52MB compared to 101MB for the original boot image.

Thanks
10: Double checked the patching process again in Magisk and again, patched bootimage filesize is on 37.52MB.
11: I have saved log from patching process and on reading, all looks OK.

The size is normal.
When patching your image you have to select "Preserve Force Encryption" and "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity" under advanced settings in the main screen where you patch the image.
29th July 2020, 06:37 PM |#11  
Kollachi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 916
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwengineering

Hi and thanks for the tips.

Running 10.5.2 (latest build) and Bootloader is unlocked.

1: Downloaded EU BootImage File suggested (10.5.2.AC01BA.boot.img - 101MB)
2: Went to Magisk Manager, Advanced Settings, Recovery Mode Ticked, Install Magisk, Install, Select and Patch a File - Browse to 10.5.2.AC01BA.boot.img in Downloads and select.
3: Command Window appears detailing successful patching of ramdisk and also location of the newly created magisk_patched.img (37.52MB???????????????)
4: Size of new boot image looks suspiciously small.
5: Copied magisk_patched.img to PC and rebooted phone into fastboot.
6: Issued the fastboot getvar current-slot command - mine is reported as b
7: Issued the fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img - File flashed OK - Reboot (Start) Phone.
8: 30 seconds of unlocked bootloader warning screen followed by 10 secs black screen followed by Qualcom Crash Dump. Rebooted phone three times - same result.
9: Rebooted phone into fastboot mode, reflashed the stock boot image and all now OK (but obviously not rooted).

Would be grateful if anyone could advise - the magisk_patched.img looks suspiciously small to me at 37.52MB compared to 101MB for the original boot image.

Thanks
10: Double checked the patching process again in Magisk and again, patched bootimage filesize is on 37.52MB.
11: I have saved log from patching process and on reading, all looks OK.

And that's why it's recommended to boot the patched image first.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide, oneplus nord, oxygenos, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes