FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FIX] Google Play Services Idle Battery Drain Issue Solved

984 posts
Thanks Meter: 723

By venky716, Senior Member on 10th August 2015, 10:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Disable these two services using Disable Service App. That's it, nothing more!

GoogleLocationManagerService

GoogleLocationService

Full Service Name:

com.google.android.location.internal.GoogleLocatio nManagerService
com.google.android.location.internal.server.Google LocationService

My Idle drain which was around 20-30 even with Wifi Data etc off was down to single digits with Wifi and data ON.

Other things I've tried and failed :

Deny Wake Up and Keep Awake permissions to GPS.

Greenify GPS , this only works for a short while but as soon as GPS is back online battery drain also comes back.

Get servicely to kill GPS.

Uninstall and reinstall GPS from play store.

Clear GPS data.

And a few more that I can't remember.

WARNING :

THIS WILL ESSENTIALLY BREAK LOCATION SERVICES.
If you don't use location, well and good.

If you do, you'll have to re enable these two services every time you want to use Maps or any app that uses location.
I use Tasker to re enable them whenever the app launches.

I've attached two apps for enabling and disabling these two services, you can use them as shortcuts whenever you want to enable or disable the two services.

Also attached xml files of the tasks that you can import into tasker. Profile condition should be whatever apps that use location when launched. Use Enable service task as enter task and disable task as exit task.

Minor bug I noticed with Google Maps, enable the two services and turn on Location then launch app, but it won't show you your location sometimes, exit app clear it from recents launch again to get it working.
Attached Files
File Type: apk LocationManagerOff.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.86 MB, 7558 views)
File Type: apk LocationManagerOn.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.86 MB, 5884 views)
File Type: zip tasks.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.1 KB, 4398 views)
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to venky716 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift venky716 Ad-Free

15th August 2015, 09:44 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Thank you for this fix, the issue was driving me nuts. Every other fix I've tried turned out to be only temporary, but after following your instructions the drain seems to be gone for good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauronych For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sauronych Ad-Free
26th August 2015, 04:28 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Thumbs up Thank You and Queries
This has helped the most of all the "Fixes" I have tried. Makes a very drastic difference. It's appalling that Google or it's Dependants would wan't to know your Location at such great cost to battery-life. It would have been great if switching the Location On and Off switch in Settings automatically Enabled and Disabled these services for the user.

Any particular reason why your Application has to keep monitoring in the background? Both Enable and Disable keep running for me. Couldn't they exit after they are done?

Thank You in any case for your work.
The Following User Says Thank You to on&off For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift on&off Ad-Free
26th August 2015, 05:28 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by on&off

This has helped the most of all the "Fixes" I have tried. Makes a very drastic difference. It's appalling that Google or it's Dependants would wan't to know your Location at such great cost to battery-life. It would have been great if switching the Location On and Off switch in Settings automatically Enabled and Disabled these services for the user.

Any particular reason why your Application has to keep monitoring in the background? Both Enable and Disable keep running for me. Couldn't they exit after they are done?

Thank You in any case for your work.

It doesn't keep monitoring in the background, at most it'll get cached for a while.

There should be no side effects.
27th August 2015, 12:57 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Good One
Great Find and explanation.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to TD2UK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TD2UK Ad-Free
1st September 2015, 03:05 PM |#6  
Flag Amiens
Thanks Meter: 144

More
thank you it's work very well
The Following User Says Thank You to meph02 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift meph02 Ad-Free
12th September 2015, 03:44 PM |#7  

More
Thanks it works for Samsung S3 as well
20th September 2015, 10:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks a lot !
The Following User Says Thank You to guilhem_h For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guilhem_h Ad-Free
21st September 2015, 08:29 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
PSA: I recently disabled google location history and the drain seems to have lowered to 10mAh, without having to disable those two services.
Just thought others could try the same and see if it helps.

Enable location, then turn off location history.

Google settings - Personal info & privacy - Activity controls - Location history.

I kept location on for a day in battery saving mode then turned it off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to venky716 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift venky716 Ad-Free
23rd September 2015, 11:55 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by venky716

PSA: I recently disabled google location history and the drain seems to have lowered to 10mAh, without having to disable those two services.
Just thought others could try the same and see if it helps.

Enable location, then turn off location history.

Google settings - Personal info & privacy - Activity controls - Location history.

I kept location on for a day in battery saving mode then turned it off.

The drain was definitely there even with Location History off before I disabled the services. Perhaps they fixed the issue with a GPS update? Although everything I know about Google tells me that's highly unlikely.
24th September 2015, 12:27 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauronych

The drain was definitely there even with Location History off before I disabled the services. Perhaps they fixed the issue with a GPS update? Although everything I know about Google tells me that's highly unlikely.

I don't know if Google has fixed it, but I saw lower drain recently.
Not as low as with the services disabled but still acceptable.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)