Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] UNLOCK ADITIONAL BANDS FOR QUALCOMM DEVICES <OnePlus One EDITION>

646 posts
Thanks Meter: 327

By devilsshadow, Senior Member on 14th September 2014, 04:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
STOP!

Quote:

By following this guide, you acknowledge that you and you alone are responsible for the proper-functioning state of your device.

I am not responsible for any harm that may come to your device.

In an attempt to make this guide short and comprehensive and also to prevent the completely uninitiated from doing something stupid, I'm going to skip babysteps like <power on your coputer> or <browse to x folder and doubleclick on y>
I start this assuming anyone following it has a basic understanding of what they're doing, what ADB is and also of the risks that come with messing with their device.

Introduction:

This guide will show you how to alter the default baseband frequencies of your qualcomm-based device, augmenting them so that (theoretically) it should work more like a global phone.

Those with an international version of the OPO can still follow this guide, if only to check your unlocked bands against those of your fellow chinese OPO owners. I'm of the opinion that even the international version lacks a few GSM/WCDMA bands, so no harm in trying to unlock some aditional ones.

This guide will, however, NOT UNLOCK ADITIONAL LTE BANDS. At least not for now. It will be updated if and when someone discovers a way to tamper with the LTE bands.

The Guide:

1. Download this archive containing all the necessary files and extract it wherever you please.

2. Enable Android Debugging on your phone and connect it to your computer, making sure MTP and PTP are not enabled in Storage > USB computer connection

3. Open up ADB and type the following:
Code:
adb shell
Code:
su
Code:
setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb
4. Launch Device Manager and look for the Other Devices expandable menu.

5. Right click on the first device listed under that menu (the first of the two A0001 devices listed there) and choose Update Driver Software, Browse my computer for driver software, Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, Show All Drivers, Have Disk and Browse

6. Browse to where you extracted OPO SPECIFIC QUALCOMM BAND UNLOCKER and locate the OPO Diagnostics Driver folder; Inside you will find 32bit and 64bit versions, pick the one relevant to you and inside you will find an .inf file that you will Open. Accept any warning messages that might pop up and let the installation of the driver complete.

7. Once everything is done installing, under Modems in Device Manager you will find HTC USB Modem. Rightclick and select Properties; In the Modem tab in the top left corner you will see Port: COM<number>. Remember that COM<number> or write it down or simply leave the window open for future reference.

8. Open the OPO SPECIFIC QUALCOMM BAND UNLOCKER folder, locate and install QPST 2.7.411 inside QPST > QPST v2.7 Build 4.11

9. Open QPST Configuration, go to the Ports tab, Add New Port (right bottom corner); In the Port field type in the COM<number> you wrote down/remembered from step 7 and in Port Label type OPO and finally click OK (left bottom corner). If you've followed all the steps correctly until here, you should be able to see this in the Active Phones tab:

10. Locate and launch RF_NV_Manager.exe in the bin folder of the QPST installation directory (normally C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\QPST\bin)

11. Once you have RF_NV_Manager.exe open, click on Setting > Comport and select COM<number> from the dropdown menu and click OK; Go to File (top right corner) and select Read from Phone and let it finish.

12. Scroll down and click on line 1877 (NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I); Copy the number displayed on the right-hand side field (the one next to < unsigned 8 bytes > Band Class(s) Supported >)

13. Locate and open mzTool_1.2.1a.exe inside OPO SPECIFIC QUALCOMM BAND UNLOCKER; select Decimal under Input Radix (top left side); Paste the number you copied in step 12 into the Decimal field under RF BC Config. You should now see your currently available bands in the Bit Information field underneath. It should look similar to this:

14. Go to Band Performance (NV Value) tab and check all the GSM and WCDMA bands; Copy the number in the Decimal field under RF BC Config (2,307,813,334,319,039,360); Copy it into a text editor and remove the ","

15. Go back to RF NV Manager and paste the clean number (2307813334319039360) into the number field next to < unsigned 8 bytes > Band Class(s) > --- if you paste the number with commas or brackets instead of just the number, you're an idiot.

16. Press WRITE NV then go to File and select Write Changed NV Items To Phone; Wait 23 seconds (because I like arbitrary waiting times), disable Android Debugging on your phone, unplug it and reboot your device; Once it comes back on, it might take a few seconds for it to acquire signal so don't panic.

ADDENDUM:

NEW LTE UNLOCKING GUIDE
Courtesy of @Albirew

Conclusion:

The only real way to know if the whole thing got applied is to do steps 1 through 13 again (obviously skipping installations) or if you are in an area where you previously had bad or no reception.

I've tested this on my 64GB Chinese OPO running stock rooted CM11S. Everything seems to work properly radio-wise, no worse than before. I'll have to travel a bit around to see if i get better or worse reception.

I'll edit this thread with any relevant information if any becomes available in the future or if anyone feels something is missing.

Thanks to @BlackSoulxxx for his original work with the Qualcomm baseband software and for the modified OPO Drivers
Thanks to @olokos for his original tutorial
Thanks to @Glatzi for bringing the original thread to my attention
Thanks to @fards for finding the diagnostics command that made all this possible
Thanks to @Albirew for writing an extensive LTE tutorial
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to devilsshadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift devilsshadow Ad-Free

14th September 2014, 06:02 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Thank you for your help I was stucked because MTP in debugging mode was checked, and also I because I did not get the right command (setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb instead of setprop persist.usb.eng 1 in the terminal.

Cheers

PS : Love your comment "if you paste the number with commas or brackets instead of just the number, you're an idiot." ^^
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -Nx- For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift -Nx- Ad-Free
14th September 2014, 07:24 PM |#3  
Flag Vicenza,Italy
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Great!!! well done @devilsshadow Thanks a lot.. :c ool:
And @-Nx- Thanks once again for linking me to this awesome thread!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to skydayzer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skydayzer Ad-Free
14th September 2014, 07:41 PM |#4  
Flag Kuopio
Thanks Meter: 34

More
As Galaxy S5 can use the European LTE 800mhz band, could we check the bits from S5 and try to use them in our OPO to enable 800mhz LTE band?
14th September 2014, 08:56 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
So for now you don't know how to unlock some LTE bands for the OPO?

Sent from my One A0001 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th September 2014, 11:02 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by valexi

As Galaxy S5 can use the European LTE 800mhz band, could we check the bits from S5 and try to use them in our OPO to enable 800mhz LTE band?

The S5 is an Exynos powered device, cant really do much for our Qualcomm based handsets. Besides, as far as I know, no OPO version has the 800MHz band availabe. Check out the band chart below with the available OPO bands:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsscholte

So for now you don't know how to unlock some LTE bands for the OPO?

Sent from my One A0001 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Not as of right now, no. I'd need confirmation from someone with a chinese OPO in the US to test if flashing the latest CM11 does anything to unlock the additional LTE bands that the Chinese OPO lacks. Otherwise, like I said in the OP, this tutorial is only for unlocking aditional GSM/WCDMA bands.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will find a way to get to the LTE bands as well. Just give it time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devilsshadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift devilsshadow Ad-Free
14th September 2014, 11:05 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
OK thx! I really appreciate your work! Btw the EU GS5 has the Snapdragon 801

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th September 2014, 11:09 PM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Currently Reverse Engineering 42
Thanks Meter: 1,721

More
Got manically busy week ahead, so not sure I can get to my pc to look at the lte.
If you can do some screen shots of the codes in nv manager (like the 1187) there might be something that shows up.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to fards For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fards Ad-Free
14th September 2014, 11:09 PM |#9  
Flag Vicenza,Italy

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsshadow

The S5 is an Exynos powered device, cant really do much for our Qualcomm based handsets. Besides, as far as I know, no OPO version has the 800MHz band availabe. Check out the band chart below with the available OPO bands:

Not as of right now, no. I'd need confirmation from someone with a chinese OPO in the US to test if flashing the latest CM11 does anything to unlock the additional LTE bands that the Chinese OPO lacks. Otherwise, like I said in the OP, this tutorial is only for unlocking aditional GSM/WCDMA bands.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will find a way to get to the LTE bands as well. Just give it time.

Noob question will i have to do this anytime i flash a new rom or update??
14th September 2014, 11:13 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsscholte

OK thx! I really appreciate your work! Btw the EU GS5 has the Snapdragon 801

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Oh yes, my mistake, although, to my knowledge it uses an 805 and not an 801. Feel free to correct me on that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydayzer

Noob question will i have to do this anytime i flash a new rom or update??

I'm not 100% sure but I think think so. Flashing a new rom also flashes whatever radios come with the rom so that might overwrite everything. Need someone to test this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fards

Got manically busy week ahead, so not sure I can get to my pc to look at the lte.
If you can do some screen shots of the codes in nv manager (like the 1187) there might be something that shows up.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

As this is still a work in progress, any further studies into the matter (from different devices owners as well) will only help us further our goal of unlocking full LTE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devilsshadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift devilsshadow Ad-Free
14th September 2014, 11:19 PM |#11  
Flag Vicenza,Italy

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsshadow

Oh yes, my mistake, although, to my knowledge it uses an 805 and not an 801. Feel free to correct me on that!

I'm not 100% sure but I think think so. Flashing a new rom also flashes whatever radios come with the rom so that might overwrite everything. Need someone to test this.

Then i guess this wont affect me since am using Multirom and the custom rom does not flash any radio...
The Following User Says Thank You to skydayzer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skydayzer Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
baseband, guide, opo, qualcomm, unlock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)