FORUMS

Ever wondered why the One's vibrate motor is comparatively weak, yet also loud?

727 posts
Thanks Meter: 555

By vantt1, Senior Member on 4th February 2015, 05:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
It is so weak because it uses such a small vibrate motor. The counterweight's mass isn't enough to make for an adequate vibration, especially given the One's large size. Here it is next to the iPhone 4's vibrate motor:

And next to the iPhone 5's motor:

For size reference, the OnePlus One vs. iPhone 4:

Source: Phone Arena Size Comparison Tool

If the OPO's motor counterweight is approximately 25% shorter in diameter than the iPhone 4's motor, then it could be as much as 40% lighter than the iPhone's (because π r² and stuff), assuming their lengths and mass densities are about the same .

The motor is mounted on a flex cable, then the flex is adhered to the chassis. It is not mounted directly on the chassis, unlike other phones. The vibration caused by the motor could possibly be dampened by the adhesive tape between the flex and the chassis, or cause it to come loose over time.

iPhone 4 - mounted directly on the chassis:

iPhone 4S - mounted on the chassis:

iPhone 5/S - mounted on the chassis:

LG Nexus 5 - mounted on the battery cover:

HTC One X - mounted on the chassis:

Galaxy S3, S4 and S5...you get the idea:

And as you can see, the motor is inside the right speaker's cavity, so the sound generated by the motor might be amplified.

Its vibration may also sound "rattly" in comparison with Samsung phones' vibration, because Samsung (as well as LG, Sony and Apple's iPhone 4S and 6/Plus) uses linear oscillation motors as opposed to the electric motor with counterweight type. The former have a better "vibration-to-noise" ratio than the latter. They run on AC as opposed to DC, so they can reach peak vibration almost instantly, requiring no spin-up and spin-down time. This is especially noticeable in the keyboard's haptic feedback, where the vibration only lasts a few fractions of a second at a time. The amplitude of a linear vibration can also be changed without affecting the frequency, so it is also much more precise.

Vibrate motors from left to right: Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 4S, Sony Xperia Z, iPhone 5 (very similar size to the iPhone 4's), HTC One X, iPhone 3GS

More information about electric motor vibration motors: http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/...n-applications

More information about linear oscillation (or linear resonance) motors: http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/...bration-motors
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to vantt1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vantt1 Ad-Free
4th February 2015, 05:46 AM |#2  
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 431

More
Yeah I didn't like the rattly sound that it made so I just disabled vibration completely on my 1+1
The Following User Says Thank You to Doo Doo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Doo Doo Ad-Free
bachera
4th February 2015, 11:23 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
thanks very nice comparison + awesome insight into the inner oneplus vibrator

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app
4th February 2015, 12:09 PM |#4  
Flag Taipei
Thanks Meter: 567

More
Last time I used a Note 2, well Samsung vibrators are really vibrating, OPO's vibration is too weak, better disable it.
4th February 2015, 02:28 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by soralz

Last time I used a Note 2, well Samsung vibrators are really vibrating, OPO's vibration is too weak, better disable it.

Ever since the Galaxy S2 I've only ever used Samsung droids (including the Note 2), so all of them had linear oscillation motors and worked very well. The OPO's is good enough for when you are already paying attention to the phone (typing, playing games etc.), but not good enough for silent notification.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vantt1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vantt1 Ad-Free
4th February 2015, 06:00 PM |#6  
Flag Seguin, TX
Thanks Meter: 94

More
You should hear the motor on the Nexus 6. Its god awful.
5th February 2015, 01:42 AM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroCreame

You should hear the motor on the Nexus 6. Its god awful.

It looks like it sounds awful. It has not one, but two counterweights! But it's mounted directly to its giant logic board, then the logic board to the frame via many screws. The logic board probably vibrates at some point against the frame.

The vibration strength should be pretty strong though, shouldn't it?
5th February 2015, 06:09 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
My question is, is it possible to fix? retro-fit?
5th February 2015, 07:29 AM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1clinton

My question is, is it possible to fix? retro-fit?

Probably not. If the motor was any bigger, then the counterweight would knock against the inside of the phone when it spins. Right now the motor only has just enough clearance for that to not happen.

6th February 2015, 12:31 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Sounds like you're looking for things to complain about.

I'm happy with the vibration level on my One.

What's the big deal with it not shaking your house to bits when it vibrates?

I'm glad it doesn't wake me up at night when someone texts me, I'm not one to set levels based on time, my job requires me to be up at random times, and I couldn't be hassled to change settings multiple times per day.
6th February 2015, 02:24 AM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgschulze

Sounds like you're looking for things to complain about.

I'm happy with the vibration level on my One.

What's the big deal with it not shaking your house to bits when it vibrates?

I'm glad it doesn't wake me up at night when someone texts me, I'm not one to set levels based on time, my job requires me to be up at random times, and I couldn't be hassled to change settings multiple times per day.

This is more of an explanation than a complaint. Besides, I don't use the OnePlus One for phone calls anymore, so I'm not complaining.

But you may be able to help these people.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)