aosp vs los

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bonbonboi

Dec 20, 2007
I like this thread since it appeared to me first when I ask that question on Google Search Engine. Even so I've not found an expert answer here... tsk tsk

jdrch

Jun 18, 2014
Quad Cities, IA
The best summary I can give from my research so far is: LOS is a fork of AOSP, but with enough changes to make it significantly different. An example of this difference is root/superuser management works much differently in LOS from how it works in AOSP (this is why SuperSU doesn't play well with LOS, but works in AOSP ROMs.) As AOSP is updated, the LOS team takes what they deem necessary from it, make their alterations, and also add some of their own code to result in an OS that is hardware- and APK-compatible with AOSP, but differs otherwise. Hopefully this makes sense.

skinnyflirter

Nov 30, 2016
I was told in another thread that ambient display works better in AOSP based ROMs than in Lineage OS based ROMs

ksrikanth_kolli

Dec 28, 2011
The best summary I can give from my research so far is: LOS is a fork of AOSP, but with enough changes to make it significantly different. An example of this difference is root/superuser management works much differently in LOS from how it works in AOSP (this is why SuperSU doesn't play well with LOS, but works in AOSP ROMs.) As AOSP is updated, the LOS team takes what they deem necessary from it, make their alterations, and also add some of their own code to result in an OS that is hardware- and APK-compatible with AOSP, but differs otherwise. Hopefully this makes sense.

The perfect reply. Thanks.

ezantera

Jan 23, 2011
I love lineage because features but i always had little problems with stability, battery... It would be a perfect rom if there were not problems. In the end, people must try for themselves. I know it is easier to ask and save time but, different devices, different people and experiences. At last i always end up in modified stock rom.

Riizq

Jul 26, 2015
Idk, I just go with the one which works better, and has good features.

Doesn't matter if it's aosp or los. If I see a ROM fulfilling my needs, I am flashing that one.

darrenpauli

Aug 5, 2010
Melbourne
I can't say what the benefits are but I'm considering flashing it to my stock ASOP Nexus 6p because Google has stopped issuing major OS updates for that phone.

This means if I want Android P I have to find a third party ROM which will support it.

So I'm looking to LOS. I used to run NamelessROM on my former Oppo Find 7, but it looks like that ROM isn't updated anymore.

NamelessROM had features not included in ASOP, but was otherwise pure ASOP. It was fantastic.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Also clogging a thread with arguments that a thread is useless is horribly ironic. Please use PMs instead.

Last edited:

pooniaprashant

Sep 14, 2014
I can't say what the benefits are but I'm considering flashing it to my stock ASOP Nexus 6p because Google has stopped issuing major OS updates for that phone.

This means if I want Android P I have to find a third party ROM which will support it.

So I'm looking to LOS. I used to run NamelessROM on my former Oppo Find 7, but it looks like that ROM isn't updated anymore.

NamelessROM had features not included in ASOP, but was otherwise pure ASOP. It was fantastic.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Also clogging a thread with arguments that a thread is useless is horribly ironic. Please use PMs instead.

people these days can argue on almost anything :D
i mean this is such a good thread for most people

trinilu27

Sep 27, 2014
salt lake city
Why are you so overly concerned about his question or starting a new thread to ask his question?.......have you somehow been personally inconvenience??.....this keeping you up at night?.....or do you work for xda monitoring threads and questions and maybe take your job waaaaaaaay to far?

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Being rude when you know you're the one wrong here is just not acceptable.

Edit: Did anybody asked you to create this thread?
Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Dude get over the stupid thread...
. Have you somehow been personally inconvenienced?.... Try minding your business and not being a thread Nazi and people probably won't be what you consider rude

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Being rude when you know you're the one wrong here is just not acceptable.

Edit: Did anybody asked you to create this thread?

Dude get over the stupid thread...
. Have you somehow been personally inconvenienced?.... Try minding your business and not being a thread Nazi and people probably won't be what you consider rude

Reactions: pooniaprashant

SayanChakroborty

Mar 7, 2016
Kolkata
I have been using both AOSP and LOS for a long time now on my Moto G4 (athene), and from my personal experience I can tell that nowadays AOSP based roms do not lack features or customizations as there are plenty of AOSP based roms for athene that are actually more customizable than some LOS based roms. And honestly I can live without music visualizer on Navbar or Blurred background behind notification shade, but I can not compromise battery life and ui smoothness. For me AOSP is more battery-efficient and lag-free experience than LOS.

And also AOSP based roms do not come with built-in su binary which allows banking and payment apps to be registered on device. But again, to each his own preferences.

Oh and AOSP roms like OMNI are more frequent with security patch and updates as there are more nightly and weekly builds in AOSP roms than LOS roms as far as I have seen.

trynex

Jun 10, 2014
For me AOSP is more battery-efficient and lag-free experience than LOS.

For me Los 15.1 has been absolute delight... Very smooth.

And also AOSP based roms do not come with built-in su binary which allows banking and payment apps to be registered on device. But again, to each his own preferences.
Even LOS has left it out precisely for this reason.

Oh and AOSP roms like OMNI are more frequent with security patch and updates as there are more nightly and weekly builds in AOSP roms than LOS roms as far as I have seen.
The LOS (once device is supported officially) also has a weekly release cycle with regular security patches integrated. Mine has July patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ohh I'm sorry but maybe I misinterpreted it.Is "aosp vs los" even a question?

FWIW I found this thread pretty useful and informative.
    I can but I won't. And there's a good reason for that.

Let him ask. If he feels comfortable with a new thread which would put his question up in a detailed way it's fine. There are mods to take care of clutter.

More features in aosp based roms

HI ,

what i mean in pure AOSP is a rom like what you would get on google phone ......all these so called AOSP roms almost 95% of them are based on LOS ( forked aosp ) with a little tweak here n there ..........closest AOSP rom non based LOS rom would be OMNIROM..........Now your question what was the prime difference between AOSP and LOS ........LOS has more built in security and is more customizable........if u download a pure AOSP rom you would actually see how bare bones those roms are.........hardly any features and settings .........
    I have been using both AOSP and LOS for a long time now on my Moto G4 (athene), and from my personal experience I can tell that nowadays AOSP based roms do not lack features or customizations as there are plenty of AOSP based roms for athene that are actually more customizable than some LOS based roms. And honestly I can live without music visualizer on Navbar or Blurred background behind notification shade, but I can not compromise battery life and ui smoothness. For me AOSP is more battery-efficient and lag-free experience than LOS.