Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]OnePlus One[/SIZE]

W2OmtZJ.jpg

This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread, we have an entire q&a section for that.

If you have any suggestions for additional questions/answers please feel free to contact me, any potential additions and improvements are welcome.

z7e6jQa.jpg

You can find some detailed guides here:
[GUIDES][UNLOCK/ROOT/FLASH]How-To Guides For Beginners.

See also:
[INDEX] OnePlus One.

z7e6jQa.jpg

Q1: What is adb/fastboot?

Q2: Does unlocking/rooting my phone void my warranty with OnePlus?

No.​

Q3: How do I unlock/root my phone?

Rooting this device is simple, all you need to do is unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery, and from there you can install SuperSU to root your stock ROM, or you can install a pre-rooted custom ROM. Here is a guide that outlines the details:

[GUIDE] Unlock/Root/Flash for OnePlus One

Q4a: Can I flash ROMs or SuperSU or anything else with the stock recovery?

No, the stock recovery can only flash zips that are signed by CM, this means official updates only. You need a custom recovery to flash anything else.​

Q4b: Which custom recovery should I use?

Q5: How do I flash my custom recovery?

Flashing a custom recovery is pretty easy using fastboot and you'll find full instructions in these threads:

Q6: Can I still receive and install an OTA on my rooted device?

Yes you can. But, if you have any modified system files or Xposed Framework installed the OTA will fail. You can use the built-in update feature in Settings>About Phone>Updates to update, or you can manually download an OTA and flash it. You can even flash an OTA update with your custom recovery. Here's a thread with all of the current CM11S full ROMs and OTA updates:

[ROM][OTA] Mirrors for official Cyanogen roms & OTA updates

Q7: Do I need to relock my bootloader or have stock recovery to run Cyanogen OS again and have full OTA functionality?

No you don't need to relock your bootloader or have the stock recovery installed to run Cyanogen OS again with OTA functionality. All you need to do is flash the stock images via fastboot or flash a recovery flashable version of Cyanogen OS via your custom recovery and you'll be on the stock ROM again with OTA capability. See this thread:

Q8: How do I return my phone to being completely stock?

Just follow this tutorial:

[GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

Q9: How do I flash a boot.img via fastboot?

Flashing a boot.img is taken care of with fastboot, full instructions here:

Q10: Is my phone Bricked?

If you can boot into fastboot mode or recovery then the answer is No. If your phone will not boot at all, and/or shows up as a QHSUSB in Device Manager on your PC, then yes you're bricked. But, there's an effective unbrick tool here:

[GUIDE] [UNBRICK] Unbrick Oneplus One

Q11: My PC won't connect to the phone by USB (for fastboot, adb, etc.), what do I do?

Make sure you have the correct/latest adb/fastboot drivers installed, make sure you have usb debugging enabled in Settings>Developer Options, and/or try another usb port/cable.​

Q12: How do I relock the bootloader, or return to stock (or close to stock as possible)

Connect your phone in fastboot mode and issue the following fastboot command:
Code:
fastboot oem lock

Q13: Will rooting affect my battery life?

No, simply rooting the phone should not hamper battery life. However, battery life can change dramatically from ROM to ROM.​

Q14: What is the best radio?

Reception and battery life are subject to exact geographic location, and other variables, therefore nobody can suggest a radio for you. Picking a radio is often trial-and-error, flash a radio and note the signal strength and battery performance. Not the bars in your status bar, but the actual signal strength measured by db (-110db is poor strength and -51db is good strength). This can be found in Settings/About Phone. Repeat the process until you've found the best radio for you. See the radio thread:

[REF] [RADIO] OnePlus One Modem Collection

Q15: What is the best ROM?

There is no 'best' ROM, each user has different tastes and needs from a ROM, the best way to find out which ROM is best for you is to test them for yourself​

Q16: How can I find custom ROMs and kernels for my phone?

Just have a look through our development sections, but do not stray out of the OnePlus One section because flashing a ROM from a different device will brick your phone. There is a full OnePlus One index thread that lists all current ROMs, kernels, and everything else here:

[INDEX] OnePlus One

Q17: How do I know which kernel is compatible with which ROM?

It's pretty simple, usually the OP in each kernel thread will state what Android versions it is compatible with. If not, there's usually a discussion taking place that answers the question.​

Q18: What is an md5 and why is it important?

An md5 is like a digital fingerprint of a file. The md5 should be listed on the download page for a file. Once you've downloaded a ROM/kernel/radio/mod etc you must check that the md5 of the downloaded file matches the md5 listed on the download page exactly. This ensures that the integrity of the file is intact and it hasn't become corrupted during the download. If a file has changed even slightly during a download the md5 will change dramatically. If the md5 of your downloaded file doesn't match, do not flash it, it could cause major problems on your device.​

Q19: Google Play Services (or Android OS) is killing my battery, how do I stop it?

Q20: What do I need to do when changing from KitKat to Lollipop or vice-versa?

When going from KitKat to Lollipop you need to flash the Lollipop firmware and modem. When going back from Lollipop to KitKat you need to flash the KitKat firmware and modem.

See section 9 of my guide for full instructions:

Q21: I just flashed a ROM and now I can't turn the screen on with the power button, or I have a black screen during calls, what's going on !?

See question 20​

Q22: I've updated to CM12S and now I can't flash a custom recovery, why?

For some reason CM12S doesn't respect the on/off toggle for the "update CM recovery" option in Developer Options, it just replaces whatever custom recovery you've flashed with the CM recovery regardless of whether that option is unelected.

Flash your custom recovery again, but after flashing don't do a normal reboot. After the flash has succeeded disconnect the usb cable, then power down the phone by holding the power button down, once it's powered off use the power + volume down button combo to boot directly into recovery. This first forced reboot into recovery somehow subverts what was keeping it from staying flashed and all subsequent normal reboots into recovery will boot into the custom recovery of your choice. See section 2 of my guide for full instructions:

z7e6jQa.jpg

'This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.'

aDlDoZJ.jpg

Donate To Me

Transmitted via Bacon

Last edited:

funCrash93

Jan 30, 2012
Iași
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
@timmaaa you've forgot one question ;)
is it necessary to re-lock the bootloader in order to run CM11S again.?

currently on MAHDI with un-locked bootloader and TWRP on board.
what are the options I have to bring back Stock on board (by Stock I mean CM11S w/ working OTA and root if possible).

Thank you :)

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
@timmaaa you've forgot one question ;)
is it necessary to re-lock the bootloader in order to run CM11S again.?

currently on MAHDI with un-locked bootloader and TWRP on board.
what are the options I have to bring back Stock on board (by Stock I mean CM11S w/ working OTA and root if possible).

Thank you :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add that one soon.

Transmitted via Bacon

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Reactions: s8freak and adamo86

as9333

May 25, 2013
Is the latest twrp3 recovery and su.zip the latest version compatible with cm12 YNG1TAS213(stock unrooted)
Confused with many comments
Thanks

dxlevel81

Jan 14, 2016
I flashed cos13 bacon signed zip thru twrp 3.0.2-3. And after successfully installing it changes also my recovery to cm recovery and my twrp is gone. Do I need to flash twrp thru fastboot again??

Sri vignesh

Sep 14, 2014
Madurai
hi guys im using Oneplus one and im new to this world! N im so confused whether to use xposed or not!! coz my ROM dev posted that he isnt responsible for the bugs if we flash xposed !! im using DIRTY UNICORN 10.6 currently... so whats ur suggestion?? can i flash xposed?? this may be an simple issue bt im a noob hence i see this as a big one.. sorry if i wasted ur time bt pls consider to give me a solution :)

Manish Duke 07

Jan 5, 2015
Resurrection remix rom is the best rom i suggest and it also meets your need of working voLte in it without setting changed

rHn7113

Nov 22, 2016
hi guys im using Oneplus one and im new to this world! N im so confused whether to use xposed or not!! coz my ROM dev posted that he isnt responsible for the bugs if we flash xposed !! im using DIRTY UNICORN 10.6 currently... so whats ur suggestion?? can i flash xposed?? this may be an simple issue bt im a noob hence i see this as a big one.. sorry if i wasted ur time bt pls consider to give me a solution :)
Is Dirty Unicorn Stable and Bug Free?Need help going to flash it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]OnePlus One[/SIZE]

W2OmtZJ.jpg

This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread, we have an entire q&a section for that.

If you have any suggestions for additional questions/answers please feel free to contact me, any potential additions and improvements are welcome.

z7e6jQa.jpg

You can find some detailed guides here:
    [GUIDES][UNLOCK/ROOT/FLASH]How-To Guides For Beginners.

See also:
    [INDEX] OnePlus One.

z7e6jQa.jpg

Q1: What is adb/fastboot?

Q2: Does unlocking/rooting my phone void my warranty with OnePlus?

No.​

Q3: How do I unlock/root my phone?

Rooting this device is simple, all you need to do is unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery, and from there you can install SuperSU to root your stock ROM, or you can install a pre-rooted custom ROM. Here is a guide that outlines the details:

Q4a: Can I flash ROMs or SuperSU or anything else with the stock recovery?

No, the stock recovery can only flash zips that are signed by CM, this means official updates only. You need a custom recovery to flash anything else.​

Q4b: Which custom recovery should I use?

Q5: How do I flash my custom recovery?

Flashing a custom recovery is pretty easy using fastboot and you'll find full instructions in these threads:

Q6: Can I still receive and install an OTA on my rooted device?

Yes you can. But, if you have any modified system files or Xposed Framework installed the OTA will fail. You can use the built-in update feature in Settings>About Phone>Updates to update, or you can manually download an OTA and flash it. You can even flash an OTA update with your custom recovery. Here's a thread with all of the current CM11S full ROMs and OTA updates:

Q7: Do I need to relock my bootloader or have stock recovery to run Cyanogen OS again and have full OTA functionality?

No you don't need to relock your bootloader or have the stock recovery installed to run Cyanogen OS again with OTA functionality. All you need to do is flash the stock images via fastboot or flash a recovery flashable version of Cyanogen OS via your custom recovery and you'll be on the stock ROM again with OTA capability. See this thread:

Just follow this tutorial:

[GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

Q9: How do I flash a boot.img via fastboot?

Flashing a boot.img is taken care of with fastboot, full instructions here:

Q10: Is my phone Bricked?

If you can boot into fastboot mode or recovery then the answer is No. If your phone will not boot at all, and/or shows up as a QHSUSB in Device Manager on your PC, then yes you're bricked. But, there's an effective unbrick tool here:

[GUIDE] [UNBRICK] Unbrick Oneplus One

Q11: My PC won't connect to the phone by USB (for fastboot, adb, etc.), what do I do?

Make sure you have the correct/latest adb/fastboot drivers installed, make sure you have usb debugging enabled in Settings>Developer Options, and/or try another usb port/cable.​

Q12: How do I relock the bootloader, or return to stock (or close to stock as possible)

Connect your phone in fastboot mode and issue the following fastboot command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock

Q13: Will rooting affect my battery life?

No, simply rooting the phone should not hamper battery life. However, battery life can change dramatically from ROM to ROM.​

Q14: What is the best radio?

Reception and battery life are subject to exact geographic location, and other variables, therefore nobody can suggest a radio for you. Picking a radio is often trial-and-error, flash a radio and note the signal strength and battery performance. Not the bars in your status bar, but the actual signal strength measured by db (-110db is poor strength and -51db is good strength). This can be found in Settings/About Phone. Repeat the process until you've found the best radio for you. See the radio thread:

[REF] [RADIO] OnePlus One Modem Collection

Q15: What is the best ROM?

There is no 'best' ROM, each user has different tastes and needs from a ROM, the best way to find out which ROM is best for you is to test them for yourself​

Q16: How can I find custom ROMs and kernels for my phone?

Just have a look through our development sections, but do not stray out of the OnePlus One section because flashing a ROM from a different device will brick your phone. There is a full OnePlus One index thread that lists all current ROMs, kernels, and everything else here:

[INDEX] OnePlus One

Q17: How do I know which kernel is compatible with which ROM?

It's pretty simple, usually the OP in each kernel thread will state what Android versions it is compatible with. If not, there's usually a discussion taking place that answers the question.​

Q18: What is an md5 and why is it important?

An md5 is like a digital fingerprint of a file. The md5 should be listed on the download page for a file. Once you've downloaded a ROM/kernel/radio/mod etc you must check that the md5 of the downloaded file matches the md5 listed on the download page exactly. This ensures that the integrity of the file is intact and it hasn't become corrupted during the download. If a file has changed even slightly during a download the md5 will change dramatically. If the md5 of your downloaded file doesn't match, do not flash it, it could cause major problems on your device.​

Q19: Google Play Services (or Android OS) is killing my battery, how do I stop it?

When going from KitKat to Lollipop you need to flash the Lollipop firmware and modem. When going back from Lollipop to KitKat you need to flash the KitKat firmware and modem.

See section 9 of my guide for full instructions:

Q21: I just flashed a ROM and now I can't turn the screen on with the power button, or I have a black screen during calls, what's going on !?

See question 20​

Q22: I've updated to CM12S and now I can't flash a custom recovery, why?

For some reason CM12S doesn't respect the on/off toggle for the "update CM recovery" option in Developer Options, it just replaces whatever custom recovery you've flashed with the CM recovery regardless of whether that option is unelected.

Flash your custom recovery again, but after flashing don't do a normal reboot. After the flash has succeeded disconnect the usb cable, then power down the phone by holding the power button down, once it's powered off use the power + volume down button combo to boot directly into recovery. This first forced reboot into recovery somehow subverts what was keeping it from staying flashed and all subsequent normal reboots into recovery will boot into the custom recovery of your choice. See section 2 of my guide for full instructions:

z7e6jQa.jpg

'This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.'

aDlDoZJ.jpg

Donate To Me

Transmitted via Bacon
    Updated 2015/02/03!

Added:

Transmitted via Bacon
    Does xposed work on the opo or does it break features

Yes it works, no it doesn't break anything, why would it?

Sent from my phone, please forgive any tpyos.
    As per the OP, this is not a Q&A thread, please take this discussion elsewhere.

Transmitted via Bacon
    Updated 06/10/2014!

Added:

Q7: Do I need to relock my bootloader or have stock recovery to run CM11S again and have full OTA functionality?

Transmitted via Bacon