[Q] Golden SIM card slot pins damaged :(

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By BX ibrahim, Junior Member on 1st August 2014, 05:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th August 2014, 06:04 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Did they actually dismantle the phone to assess the damage?
If you are lucky it may be that the pins has just been bent out of place and need to be bent back, but even that will be tricky as it is under a metal cover:
see here in ifixit's teardown:

otherwise, yes you would have to replace the whole motherboard, as the metal cover is soldered onto the board also.

to be honest I think your best bet is to play dumb and just raise an RMA with oneplus and say your sim isn't detected.

p.s. how on earth did you think that inserting the sim eject tool in there would help remove the back cover?
next time follow this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8nF...iMSkxv-6nbFUGQ

6th August 2014, 08:28 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
A skilled phone repair technician should have no problem of unsoldering the metal cover to check the pins.
That of course is valid, if you didn't damage something else on the mainboard.
6th August 2014, 09:33 AM |#23  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzhedaj

A skilled phone repair technician should have no problem of unsoldering the metal cover to check the pins.
That of course is valid, if you didn't damage something else on the mainboard.

Exactly, I can easily do the job in my lab, just find a technician that actually knows how to ****ing solder. If you're still within the no nonsense return period then do so.
7th August 2014, 01:21 AM |#24  
Flag Tampa, Florida
Thanks Meter: 25

More
im gonna try looking at the pins
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyx32

Exactly, I can easily do the job in my lab, just find a technician that actually knows how to ****ing solder. If you're still within the no nonsense return period then do so.

guys im going to completely disassemble my OPO i also tried talking to them to get it fixed but they want me to pay big bucks for shipping and repair all the way in china. what im going to do is im going to take the motherboard out and check those pins out, i pray to whatever gods may exist that perhaps i can just bend them back into place however i think soldering the plate off is going to be a HUGE issue as i don't no how to solder for my life and for some reason whenever i leave my soldering iron running the metal just starts to brown... im going to use ifixit as a reference since they are like the ONLY people to do a teardown. you know at first i was happy to have a unique and one of a kind phone but now i regret it help/service as well as replacement parts are as scare as the women that would want to date me but at least i have the great xda community please give me more tips on how i could fix it myself and perhaps soldering that board off if the pin is indeed broken do you think i could put some replacement metal there to read the SIM? i know its a stretch but im willing to do anything myself also i know im so stupid for using the sim ejector tool to pry off the back like that but taking off the back was SO hard for me and i thought i could use that small opening and the included tool to help pry off the back but once it got stuck i panicked and yanked it out with force ruining the pins i know i am retarded i just wish i could fix it though and i feel like replacing the entire motherboard is pretty wasteful.
7th August 2014, 02:58 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmboyz3

guys im going to completely disassemble my OPO i also tried talking to them to get it fixed but they want me to pay big bucks for shipping and repair all the way in china. what im going to do is im going to take the motherboard out and check those pins out, i pray to whatever gods may exist that perhaps i can just bend them back into place however i think soldering the plate off is going to be a HUGE issue as i don't no how to solder for my life and for some reason whenever i leave my soldering iron running the metal just starts to brown... im going to use ifixit as a reference since they are like the ONLY people to do a teardown. you know at first i was happy to have a unique and one of a kind phone but now i regret it help/service as well as replacement parts are as scare as the women that would want to date me but at least i have the great xda community please give me more tips on how i could fix it myself and perhaps soldering that board off if the pin is indeed broken do you think i could put some replacement metal there to read the SIM? i know its a stretch but im willing to do anything myself also i know im so stupid for using the sim ejector tool to pry off the back like that but taking off the back was SO hard for me and i thought i could use that small opening and the included tool to help pry off the back but once it got stuck i panicked and yanked it out with force ruining the pins i know i am retarded i just wish i could fix it though and i feel like replacing the entire motherboard is pretty wasteful.

Did anything fall out of the slot when you pulled the ejector tool out?if not you may be lucky and the gold pin is just bent, and may work if you carefully bend it back.
As you can see on the picture from ifixit, there are small openings on the metal plat covering the sim reader so you may be able to use a pin/needle to adjust the gold pins.
There is also the risk that one of the pins did snap and its floating inside the phone somewhere which is another issue as if it ends up shorting something else that's likely to completely wreak the mtoherboard.

send some pics after you have the motherboard out, see if we can help in any way.

considering how closely packed the rest of the components are you would need a very fine tip soldering iron to not touch the small components around the metal plate. I have done this for the iphone before, (completely replaced the sim reader component) but there was a wider enough area around the sim reader that risk of touching another component was low. for this job I would have to agree with the others that you would need a skilled soldering technician. I have more soldering experience than the average joe and even I am hesitant with attempting soldering on this.
7th August 2014, 03:14 AM |#26  
Flag Tampa, Florida

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric0ant

Did anything fall out of the slot when you pulled the ejector tool out?if not you may be lucky and the gold pin is just bent, and may work if you carefully bend it back.
As you can see on the picture from ifixit, there are small openings on the metal plat covering the sim reader so you may be able to use a pin/needle to adjust the gold pins.
There is also the risk that one of the pins did snap and its floating inside the phone somewhere which is another issue as if it ends up shorting something else that's likely to completely wreak the mtoherboard.

send some pics after you have the motherboard out, see if we can help in any way.

considering how closely packed the rest of the components are you would need a very fine tip soldering iron to not touch the small components around the metal plate. I have done this for the iphone before, (completely replaced the sim reader component) but there was a wider enough area around the sim reader that risk of touching another component was low. for this job I would have to agree with the others that you would need a skilled soldering technician. I have more soldering experience than the average joe and even I am hesitant with attempting soldering on this.

when the sim ejector was first stuck and when i yanked it out hard it came flying out and when it finally dislodged i couldnt tell at all if anything else came out i remember looking for some gold pin that might have flown out on the ground but i couldnt find anything, yeah im going to disassemble and post pics asap i REALLY appreciate your help thank you so much. yeah my soldering tip isnt that fine so if i ever solder it will be when i replace the tip with a fine one and have better soldering skills but most likely ill try finding a professional to solder for me if i have to
7th August 2014, 04:03 AM |#27  
Flag Los Angeles

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmboyz3

when the sim ejector was first stuck and when i yanked it out hard it came flying out and when it finally dislodged i couldnt tell at all if anything else came out i remember looking for some gold pin that might have flown out on the ground but i couldnt find anything, yeah im going to disassemble and post pics asap i REALLY appreciate your help thank you so much. yeah my soldering tip isnt that fine so if i ever solder it will be when i replace the tip with a fine one and have better soldering skills but most likely ill try finding a professional to solder for me if i have to

Only disassemble as much as it is necessary, just enough evaluate the damage, take good pics and don't try anything until we see what's up lol
7th August 2014, 05:29 AM |#28  
Flag Tampa, Florida

More
BAD news
Quote:

Only disassemble as much as it is necessary, just enough evaluate the damage, take good pics and don't try anything until we see what's up lol

now my hopes are really crushed i opened it up took the motherboard out and flipped it over to see the SIM module and its pins through the openings as you can see in the ifixit photo there are 2 rows of pins with 3 golden pins each.. all of my pins have been torn out except for the middle pin in the second row i honestly feel really sad and frustrated and the stupid crap i did and now i have no hope but I need to know ANYTHING else i could do, could i just use replacement gold or metal and put it on those sites somehow? i attached pictures. well it looks like my only choice right now is to ship it to oneplus and pay up alot because it will probably will take ages for replacement service parts for this phone to hit the market or even broken phones with boards I could use. i feel like oneplus is really going to weasel me out of a lot of money for shipping plus big repair costs since i broke the warranty by opening it up- as you can see here the price for a motherboard replacement from oneplus is 325 total...https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/o...rantish.63439/ so im really desperate on ANY methods i could use to fix it myself or even a cheap replacement part from anywhere im still in highschool and i cant pay oneplus that kind of money again and my parents want to slit my throat right now should i get a new phone or wait it out for cheap replacement parts? any other options for fixing or moving on? even if i cant use this phone as a phone i have all the other functionalities so i wont sell it ill keep it and perhaps learn to develop for it ill keep up to date with the latest AK nightly kernel and any nice feature filled roms like PAC no matter what
here are the crappy potato quality imgur links since the the filesizes were too big for a forum upload: http://imgur.com/fsIVOtG and http://imgur.com/fsIVOtG&pRhVVHH#1
7th August 2014, 06:28 AM |#29  
Flag Los Angeles

More
I expected as much, those pins are very fragile. Anyway, what's done is done, relax. Also, sending the phone back to OnePlus is out of the question. You have to find the proper replacement pins and either get the proper equipment to do the soldering job yourself or find some who can solder them for you. I suggest you now go to several repair shops and ask is they can solder them for you, now that you've taken the motherboard out.

Edit: Wait a minute you're in Tampa? I'm pretty sure that you can find someone that will fix it for you maybe even hire someone here to do the soldering lol
7th August 2014, 06:54 AM |#30  
Flag Tampa, Florida

More
thanks
Quote:

I expected as much, those pins are very fragile. Anyway, what's done is done, relax. Also, sending the phone back to OnePlus is out of the question. You have to find the proper replacement pins and either get the proper equipment to do the soldering job yourself or find some who can solder them for you. I suggest you now go to several repair shops and ask is they can solder them for you, now that you've taken the motherboard out.

yeah I really like your idea, and thanks for everything, but first I need to find the proper replacement pins any idea on where i can find them?? that seems like a huge problem for now in the meantime i reassembled everything and am able to use it without basic phone functions. its actually kind of fun disassembling it and putting it back together lol. i guess if i just sit and wait for a while parts will eventually come up online but it kinda sucks not having any phone for a while. also what exactly do you reccomend that i replace, should i replace the entire SIM module or those finnicky golden pins inside the SIM module?
7th August 2014, 07:21 AM |#31  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I actually did the same thing that rndmboyz3to did to damage the pins, but i didn't take it out by force, i took a little part of a screen protector and pushed it in just to get those pins out of the way and it worked, i am pretty sure the pins didn't break.

I really want to disassemble the phone but i don't have the tools to do it :\ i will order the pro tool pack from ifixit.
I'll keep you posted if any thing happened, in the meantime.. I will not try anything stupid, i have an old Nokia phone that can and I'll put my SIM in it, and i will use the OPO as it is for now.

Thank you guys you've been very helpful and supportive.
I appreciate it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)