[Boot Animation] ctOS Boot Animation

Search This thread

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
Hello!

So I've been playing a bit of Watch Dogs as of late, and decided that I wanted to go ahead and make a ctOS-style boot animation, emulating the geometric hacker-looking loading animation you see in the game;

I went ahead and found this video of the animation I was looking for, and formatted it into a 1080p boot animation for my OnePlus One, and any other 1080x1920 resolution phones.

Click Here To Download The CM11/CM12 Version From Google Play!

OTHER LINKS ARE DOWN THIS WEEK UNTIL MY GOOGLE DRIVE IS UPDATED

I've attached the two ZIP installers to this OP in the meantime:

Installation Instructions:

The first download link is the Google Play link for my CM11/CM12 version, it works with any ROM that supports both the CM11 Theme Engine, and the new CM12 Theme Engine!

The other 2 attachments are flashable ZIP files - one for 1080p phones, and the other for 720p phones - just reboot to your recovery (TWRP or CWM), and flash away! The installer backs up your previous boot animation, and applies mine. It's that simple.
A huge thanks to Flashalot for making the ZIP for me, and now thanks to exxxistent for making a 720p version installer too!

ATTENTION -- for any ROMs using the CM11 or CM12 Theme Engine, use the Google Play link above; any of the following methods will only replace the stock boot animation for the ROM with the one you install. Therefore, any themes you apply other than the stock ROM theme will supersede my boot animation and use the theme's instead.

To install via your phone:

• Download the bootanimation.zip file, and open up a root file explorer to find where you downloaded it to
  • Now go ahead and navigate to your /system/media folder (you may need to allow your file explorer to mount system as read/write for the next step)
  • Find your current bootanimation.zip, and rename it to bootanimation.zip.bak (just backin' up your original one)
  • Now copy the downloaded bootanimation.zip into /system/media, and make sure the permissions for the zip are RW-R-R (octal 644)
  • And it's installed!

To install via ADB:

• Download the bootanimation.zip file from the download link above, and find the file in your computer's file manager
  • Open up the folder where you have your ADB binary, and copy the bootanimation.zip file into that folder
  • Connect your phone to your computer via USB, and make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your phone
  • Open up Command Prompt (PC) or Terminal (Mac), and type:
    Code:
    cd [THE FOLDER ADB IS IN]
** For Mac users, you may need to type in ./adb instead of just adb, if you get a "command not found" error

• Now, type in the following, hitting enter after every line:
    Code:
    adb push bootanimation.zip /sdcard/bootanimation.zip

adb shell

su

mount -o remount rw /system

mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip.bak

cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media

chmod 644 /system/media/bootanimation.zip
  • And you're good to go!

I'm currently working on a variant of this animation, in which the beginning part loops and then the animation ends on the ctOS icon, like it does if you are waiting for the game to load. I've figured out how the Android L and M boot animations implement a closing animation, so it shouldn't take long to recreate the 1080p version to start with.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Boot_Animation_1080p_Installer.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 19,662
  • Boot_Animation_720p_Installer.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 9,525
Last edited:

v_singh

Mar 1, 2014
Ankleshwar
hey bro!!
I like this bootanimation.
my mobile doesn't supports the .gif format, so can u make this .zip for me?

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
Do you want the previews I made in a zip format? Because the bootanimation itself is in a JPEG series format that should work for any 1080p phone.

P1f

Sep 20, 2010
Bucuresti
That is a great idea for a boot animation, but wouldn't it be nicer to make it an apk instead of zip and use the CyanogenMod theme engine to set it as boot animation?

Is it possible, can you make it or perhaps someone here who knows how can help you?

Sent from my OnePlus One using XDA Free mobile app

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
Thanks a lot. Just flash and good to go. I wonder if this will work on the htc m8?

It should work on any 1080x1920 resolution screen, so you should be good to go. As far as the installer goes, just make sure your bootanimation for your ROM is being loaded
from /system/media, and you should be fine using it with your m8.

That is a great idea for a boot animation, but wouldn't it be nicer to make it an apk instead of zip and use the CyanogenMod theme engine to set it as boot animation?

Is it possible, can you make it or perhaps someone here who knows how can help you?

Sent from my OnePlus One using XDA Free mobile app

That's a great idea! I went ahead and started looking into making CM11 Theme Apps, so once I've made one for the bootanimation I'll put the Google Play link here.

Reactions: P1f

mlord

Aug 18, 2014
Thanks for de-mystifying this for us.

I wanted the stock CyanogenMod "cid" animation on my One, and your explanation made it dead easy to accomplish.

Reactions: benmeroff
Jan 18, 2014
The stock bootanimation + ctOS style has to be something awesome. Can you do it?
Thanks for your work!

Enviado desde mi OnePlus One usando Tapatalk

ondoy1943

Jun 21, 2011
you know what, you may as well copy the "bootanimation.zip" file to the /data/local/ directory, change permissions to rw-r-r and then reboot. you get the same effect without renaming any file at all. for me it's cleaner and may not break future OTAs.

dayanandgp

Nov 30, 2012
Regensburg
Did not work on Mahdi rom :( flashed via TWRP

Edit: Also tried with adb shell... the file is copied correctly but boot animation is still stock !! how is this possible ?

Last edited:

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
The stock bootanimation + ctOS style has to be something awesome. Can you do it?
Thanks for your work!

Enviado desde mi OnePlus One usando Tapatalk

If you're referring to the stock Android L boot animation, then yes, I'm already working on it! Classes just started for me, so I may be a bit busy for a while, but I'll work on this as much as I can.

you know what, you may as well copy the "bootanimation.zip" file to the /data/local/ directory, change permissions to rw-r-r and then reboot. you get the same effect without renaming any file at all. for me it's cleaner and may not break future OTAs.

That's true, it's definitely easier... I prefer doing everything manually if I'm going to do anything manually at all, so I guess that's why I like renaming files and working in the /system/media/ directory :)

Did not work on Mahdi rom :( flashed via TWRP

So sorry it couldn't work for you! It looks like Mahdi ROM may not be working with any custom boot animations right now, so I've added that to the OP. I've also contacted the dev to let me know when that's been resolved, so we'll just have to sit tight and wait until that's working again....

dayanandgp

Nov 30, 2012
Regensburg
So sorry it couldn't work for you! It looks like Mahdi ROM may not be working with any custom boot animations right now, so I've added that to the OP. I've also contacted the dev to let me know when that's been resolved, so we'll just have to sit tight and wait until that's working again....

Got it working !! apparently the issue is themesshowcase App ... If you set a different bootanimation from stock , the .zip file is picked up from local folder of the theme. so even though i copied the file to correct location , it was the stock location. i.e what you have mentioned in OP. After i switched to stock bootanimation via Themesshowcase app , it loaded ctOS animation :) :) very nice animation !! thanks for the work !

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
Got it working !! apparently the issue is themesshowcase App ... If you set a different bootanimation from stock , the .zip file is picked up from local folder of the theme. so even though i copied the file to correct location , it was the stock location. i.e what you have mentioned in OP. After i switched to stock bootanimation via Themesshowcase app , it loaded ctOS animation :) :) very nice animation !! thanks for the work !

Perfect, thanks for letting me know! I'll go add that to the installation instructions, and remove that Mahdi ROM is incompatible. The dev actually just got back to me and told me boot animations work fine with the ROM, so it's good to hear there's just a workaround required for manual insertion via my flashable zip. Otherwise that would've sucked for everyone using the CM11 Theme Engine...

Reactions: dayanandgp

jonjinbae

Mar 14, 2011
If I want to switch back to stock can I change it from the theme manager or do I have to reflash the stock animation as well?

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
If I want to switch back to stock can I change it from the theme manager or do I have to reflash the stock animation as well?

I'm going to add all of this to the OP when I get a free minute here, but the CM11 Theme Manager will see my installed boot animation as the stock one that comes with the ROM, so you will have to manually restore the old one before seeing it in your default theme again. You can change to another boot animation via the Theme Manager, but the stock one will stay as mine until you either flash the "undo" zip file or manually replace the backed-up stock boot animation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

So I've been playing a bit of Watch Dogs as of late, and decided that I wanted to go ahead and make a ctOS-style boot animation, emulating the geometric hacker-looking loading animation you see in the game;

I went ahead and found this video of the animation I was looking for, and formatted it into a 1080p boot animation for my OnePlus One, and any other 1080x1920 resolution phones.

Click Here To Download The CM11/CM12 Version From Google Play!

OTHER LINKS ARE DOWN THIS WEEK UNTIL MY GOOGLE DRIVE IS UPDATED

I've attached the two ZIP installers to this OP in the meantime:

Installation Instructions:

The first download link is the Google Play link for my CM11/CM12 version, it works with any ROM that supports both the CM11 Theme Engine, and the new CM12 Theme Engine!

The other 2 attachments are flashable ZIP files - one for 1080p phones, and the other for 720p phones - just reboot to your recovery (TWRP or CWM), and flash away! The installer backs up your previous boot animation, and applies mine. It's that simple.
    A huge thanks to Flashalot for making the ZIP for me, and now thanks to exxxistent for making a 720p version installer too!

ATTENTION -- for any ROMs using the CM11 or CM12 Theme Engine, use the Google Play link above; any of the following methods will only replace the stock boot animation for the ROM with the one you install. Therefore, any themes you apply other than the stock ROM theme will supersede my boot animation and use the theme's instead.

To install via your phone:

• Download the bootanimation.zip file, and open up a root file explorer to find where you downloaded it to
    • Now go ahead and navigate to your /system/media folder (you may need to allow your file explorer to mount system as read/write for the next step)
    • Find your current bootanimation.zip, and rename it to bootanimation.zip.bak (just backin' up your original one)
    • Now copy the downloaded bootanimation.zip into /system/media, and make sure the permissions for the zip are RW-R-R (octal 644)
    • And it's installed!

To install via ADB:

• Download the bootanimation.zip file from the download link above, and find the file in your computer's file manager
    • Open up the folder where you have your ADB binary, and copy the bootanimation.zip file into that folder
    • Connect your phone to your computer via USB, and make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your phone
    • Open up Command Prompt (PC) or Terminal (Mac), and type:
      Code:
      cd [THE FOLDER ADB IS IN]
    ** For Mac users, you may need to type in ./adb instead of just adb, if you get a "command not found" error

• Now, type in the following, hitting enter after every line:
      Code:
      adb push bootanimation.zip /sdcard/bootanimation.zip

adb shell

su

mount -o remount rw /system

mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip.bak

cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media

chmod 644 /system/media/bootanimation.zip
    • And you're good to go!

I'm currently working on a variant of this animation, in which the beginning part loops and then the animation ends on the ctOS icon, like it does if you are waiting for the game to load. I've figured out how the Android L and M boot animations implement a closing animation, so it shouldn't take long to recreate the 1080p version to start with.

Enjoy!
    No worries on your English, it sounds just fine to me!

And on the animation, I just finished a OnePlus/ctOS hybrid one you may be interested in... see what you think:

DhOOdUob

Here's the bootanimation.zip, just replace it using the instructions in the OP.

Okay, this is just amazing. I love it lol. I worked on a bootanimation too but this is awesomely better than mine :good: :good:
    CM11 Theme!!

Just updated the OP with a link to the CM11 version in Google Play!!

Click here for the Google Play link
    Very nice!
    Is this just download and flash via twrp?
    Sent via quantum entanglement, focused through my OnePlus One.

It is not. It's to push to /system/media and to set permissions to at least rw-r-r.
    Great animation. I saw on the first page you said the images are in JPEG. If you'll allow me to offer some unsolicited advice, I highly recommend converting them to PNG8. Your full 1080p JPEG images are about 150k a piece, whereas the 1080p images I use in my animations are about 56k a piece. That could reduce your zip to about 1/3 its current size with no reduction in quality. Win-win! :highfive:

Again, though, really cool animation. :good: