FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Root OnePlus X without TWRP. No PC needed.

635 posts
Thanks Meter: 295

Post Reply Email Thread
*** Spoiler ****
If you are looking to flash custom ROMs or Xposed Modules, then this is absolutely inappropriate method for you. Installing Xposed without unlocking bootloader is absolutely bad idea it is always safe to unlock bootloader and then do mods and stuff bc if you messed up with it without unlocking, most of the times, it is difficult to clean it. For installing ROMs, Xposed etc., I suggest you should unlock your bootloader, then flash TWRP. The correct way to install ROM is Unlock bootloader -> Flash custom recovery -> Flash rom. Rooting won't help you there. For unlocking bootloader and install TWRP, I suggest you to follow this guide

Before you start rooting with this method, I suggest you read what KingRoot is in this thread. Bc there are several opinions regarding the KingRoot, do a google search about what actually KingRoot is.

Warning: Rooting does not void the OnePlus X’s warranty, though damaging your hardware (i.e., burning up your CPU by overclocking, hardbricking the device) will. You proceed at your own risk! I accept no responsibility for what you do with your phone. Follow the directions closely, and the odds are you will succeed without any trouble. If you are not sure what you are doing, do some more research before you try.

Let me get few things straight one by one since there are too many questions targeted to this method.
1. I have posted this method so that people can root OPX without unlocking bootloader.
2. Using ADB via PC needs so much trouble like having drivers and so. Hence I found something pretty easy that will give easy access to root.
4. Kingroot needs internet access to root your device. Though it's safe root with this method.
4. Anyways kingroot will be uninstalled as soon as SuperSu is pushed into the system.

Still anyone has doubts about KingRoot, stop rooting with this method NOW.

Once you root your phone with this method, you will not be able to install OTAs directly.
However there is a way out to install OTAs at the bottom of this post.

Precaution: Make sure your phone has enough charging to make things proceed everything without draining all juice. Min 50% charging will be recommended.

I was finding a easiest way to root Oneplus X, cz ADB and such tools are pretty hectic. Finally I found a way to root OnePlus X without TWRP or any custom recovery and without even unlocking bootloader.

So all we going to do is root our device with KingRoot and then then will replace it with our favorite SuperSU app. So here we go.

Rooting your OnePlus X:

1. Download KingRoot and install it from here.

2. Once KingRoot is installed, open it and root OnePlus X with just one click. Process of rooting will take 2 - 5 mins. One done, Download Root Checker from play store and check if device is rooted. It has to be, congratulations.

Ok, hold your horses, we still have to Install SuperSu to replace KingRoot.

1. Download Terminal Emulator for Android from play store.
2. Download and unzip Replace_Kingroot_With_SuperSU.zip which contains SuperSU installation stuff.

Steps to install SuperSu.

1. Copy the downloaded Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.0 to your phone and extract it, extracted folder will contain "mrw" folder. Send the extracted folder "mrw" to the internal storage of your device and make sure that this folder contains 4 files. This should be the path for your mrw folder. "/sdcard/mrw"

2. Open Terminal emulator and type

Code:
su
this will ask for super user permissions for terminal app, allow it.

3. Type :

Code:
sh /sdcard/mrw/root.sh
It might display some error, at the end it will launch supersu or open supersu manually.

Update su binary normal, then reboot.

Viola, your OnePlus X is fully rooted without needing the TWRP or even a cable or PC.
You can now uninstall KingRoot and Purify apps.
Cheers

How To Install OTA's after rooting with this method

1. Download OnePlusOxygen_14_OTA_008_all_201601221550.zip .
2. Just flash it.
3. You'll be on OxygenOS 2.2.0 without any other files to flash. Don't wipe data and cache to retain your apps and data.

Re-rooting again after OTA's?

FOLLOW SAME GUIDE. \0/

Credits:
Kingxteam for KingRoot app
Unknow guy who made Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.0 zip file.
Let me know if your name should be here.
The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to StraightEdgeKid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StraightEdgeKid Ad-Free

17th November 2015, 02:02 PM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 193

More
Looks good, will try when some custom roms come out
17th November 2015, 02:39 PM |#3  
Flag NEW DELHI
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightEdgeKid

Warning: Rooting does not void the OnePlus X’s warranty, though damaging your hardware (i.e., burning up your CPU by overclocking, hardbricking the device) will. You proceed at your own risk! I accept no responsibility for what you do with your phone. Follow the directions closely, and the odds are you will succeed without any trouble. If you are not sure what you are doing, do some more research before you try.

Precaution: Make sure your phone has enough charging to make things proceed everything without draining all juice. Min 50% charging will be recommended.

Well, I read the method CafeKampuchia's method to root OnePlus X, I even had some interaction with him, his method is good, though a obstacle later one can face will be installing OTA's. Our device, OnePlus X received 2 updates in a time of one week, which forced me to think that there will be more updates coming soon to fix things. (Like we can't move apps to sd after updating from OTA, though there is a option to do so). Hence I tried different things to root this device. first I tried installing SuperSU.zip from stock recovery, and I failed in it. Well XDA has lot of options to try it. Finally I found a way to root OnePlus X without TWRP or any custom recovery and I think we will be able to install OTA updates with having root too.

So all we going to do is root our device with KingRoot and then then will replace it with our favorite SuperSU app. So here we go.

Rooting your OnePlus X:

1. Download KingRoot and install it from here.

2. Once KingRoot is installed, open it and root OnePlus X with just one click. Process of rooting will take 2 - 5 mins. One done, Download Root Checker from play store and check if device is rooted. It has to be, congratulations.

Ok, hold your horses, we still have to Install SuperSu to replace KingRoot.

1. Download Terminal Emulator for Android from play store.
2. Download and unzip Replace_Kingroot_With_SuperSU.zip which contains SuperSU installation stuff.

Steps to install SuperSu.

1. Copy the downloaded Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.0 to your phone and extract it, extracted folder will contain "mrw" folder. Send the extracted folder "mrw" to the internal storage of your device and make sure that this folder contains 4 files. This should be the path for your mrw folder. "/sdcard/mrw"

2. Open Terminal emulator and type

Code:
su
this will ask for super user permissions for terminal app, allow it.

3. Type :

Code:
sh /sdcard/mrw/root.sh
It might display some error, at the end it will launch supersu or open supersu manually.

Update su binary normal, then reboot.

Viola, your OnePlus X is fully rooted without needing the TWRP or even a cable or PC.
You can now uninstall KingRoot and Purify apps.
Cheers

Credits:
Kingxteam for KingRoot app
Unknow guy who made Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.0 zip file.
CafeKampuchia for beginning the topic of rooting (And my warning section is copied from his post. ).
Let me know if your name should be here.

Bro i tried kingo root before this post n it dosnt work
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mohammedtabish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mohammedtabish Ad-Free
17th November 2015, 02:58 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pune

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedtabish

Bro i tried kingo root before this post n it dosnt work

Well, try this. I have rooted my OnePlus X with this method, tested it and then I have wrote this big post.

and yes, avoid quoting whole OP post, specially when it's too big.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StraightEdgeKid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StraightEdgeKid Ad-Free
17th November 2015, 02:58 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pune

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossyyy

Looks good, will try when some custom roms come out

For sure
17th November 2015, 03:14 PM |#6  
Flag NEW DELHI
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightEdgeKid

Well, try this. I have rooted my OnePlus X with this method, tested it and then I have wrote this big post.

and yes, avoid quoting whole OP post, specially when it's too big.

Okay sir am new on xda actually i used to follow just read posts but now when i buyed opx i created an account...and i have rooted with twrp so i will try later when i will go back to stock..
17th November 2015, 03:33 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Working in my OnePlus X with the latest firmware version! Thank you for all.
17th November 2015, 03:43 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pune

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mie

Working in my OnePlus X with the latest firmware version! Thank you for all.

Well, Thanks button is up there. Hehe
Thanks, for confirming that this stuff is working for others too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StraightEdgeKid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StraightEdgeKid Ad-Free
17th November 2015, 04:10 PM |#9  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 205

More
Did you lose IMEI partitions (modem files) while rooting?

Can you confirm they're still there via screenshot on Partitions Backup app?

Also, does it require Unlocked bootloader?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calvin2394 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Calvin2394 Ad-Free
17th November 2015, 04:14 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
it works perfectly! thanks from portugal!
17th November 2015, 05:38 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
ota
will rooting avoid getting updates for one plus x
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
root oneplus x

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)