FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT] N5206 v150108 - v150312 root method with working wireless

466 posts
Thanks Meter: 157

By Lum_UK, Senior Member on 11th February 2015, 05:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Even simpler root than Invisiblek's method for the older versions: If you have already tried that method and now have broken wireless, see Post #2.

Note: A more detailed and user-friendly version of these instructions can be found at: http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/n5...ructions.24159

Download http://lum.uk/n3/files/recmodn3.img and http://lum.uk/n3/files/Root_ColorOS_by_tantrums_v2.zip

Copy the rooter onto your SD card.
Boot into fastboot by holding volume up while powering on the phone.

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery recmodn3.img
fastboot boot recmodn3.img

Flash the root coloros zip file, reboot and you're rooted.

Note: This is a modified stock recovery that can flash OTAs as well as zips not signed by Oppo. If you prefer TWRP then that is available here: https://dl.twrp.me/n3/. Note that at the time of writing TWRP is unable to flash OTAs.

Thanks to invisiblek@xda for the original root method, Arvin A. Sison@oppoforums for the fixing SuperSU to work on ColorOS, and Anilexis@xda for providing the modified N3 recovery.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lum_UK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lum_UK Ad-Free

11th February 2015, 05:09 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Restoring stock firmware

Download your chosen firmware and recovery from this thread
Copy the firmware to the root of the internal storage
Take a nandroid backup using TWRP
Reboot to bootloader from within TWRP
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_N3.img
fastboot reboot
adb reboot recovery
Use the stock recovery to flash your chosen firmware
If you are downgrading then wipe data and cache (you did remember to take a nandroid, right?)
Reboot

You are now on stock fimware. Follow the rooting instructions in post #1, and if you wiped you may optionally restore only the data partition from your nandroid backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lum_UK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lum_UK Ad-Free
16th February 2015, 08:08 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Will memory be erased?
Hi,

So i'm looking forward to root my beautiful Oppo N3.
On my last Phones memory (data and so on) was erased alongside with unlocking the phone.
Will it be the same on this phone so that I have to backup all my data?
16th February 2015, 10:15 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Your data will not be erased when rooting or unlocking. Also your warranty will not be invalidated like it is with other manufacturers.

It is, however, always wise to take a backup before anything like this, just in case something does go wrong.
17th February 2015, 12:37 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Hi,

I tried rooting my N3 now but i made a mistake by not executing the commands after falshing SuperSU.
That's why my phone is always booting into TWRP. There i tried executing your commands, but apparently the shell refuses to su by throwing exception: "command not found"
Going on with mount-command, it is also giving back an error: "can't find /system in /proc/mounts"

Hope sb could help me now...
EDIT: Solved by installing stock recovery, booting system, and the reflash twrp.
2nd March 2015, 10:33 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum_UK

Even simpler root than Invisiblek's method for the older versions: If you have already tried that method and now have broken wireless, see Post #2

Download http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/282 and http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.4.0-n3.img
fastboot reboot
adb reboot recovery

Flash Super SU from within TWRP. Then boot the OS

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
echo "/system/xbin/su --daemon &" >> /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

Reboot and you're rooted.

By default ColorOS doesn't let apps auto-start themselves, so go into security centre and allow SuperSU to auto-start, otherwise you won't get prompts for root when other apps need it.

Thanks to invisiblek for the original root method and babelmonk for the fix. I have shamelessly copied these and adapted them for the new firmware.

Quoted from your post in oppo forum

Wait for the phone to boot:

adb reboot recovery

It should boot into TWRP recovery flash the SuperSU zip you downloaded but do not reboot as we need to fix a small bug in SuperSU due to Oppo not using the expected startup scripts.

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
echo "/system/xbin/su --daemon &" >> /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

Reboot and congratulations. You are now rooted.

Sorry , quite new in fastboot command so i apologize if I misunderstood you but I'm running on N5206_EX_23_150208 , which should i follow ? to boot up after flashing SuperSU or not to boot up ?
3rd March 2015, 05:27 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
It doesn't matter which way around you do it, just that root won't work outside of ADB until it's done.

I assume that XDA folk are more familiar with ADB etc. than on the Oppo forums so the instructions skip over more detail here.
15th March 2015, 09:54 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Updated the method to use fastboot boot instead of fastboot flash.

This should work around the issue with phones that can't flash twrp, and also leave the stock recovery in place which is more useful to have until we get some custom roms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lum_UK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lum_UK Ad-Free
27th April 2015, 11:08 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum_UK

Updated the method to use fastboot boot instead of fastboot flash.

This should work around the issue with phones that can't flash twrp, and also leave the stock recovery in place which is more useful to have until we get some custom roms.

I was using modified boot.img to get root and then edit init.qcom.post_boot.sh. Now my wi-fi is broken. Can I fix it without wiping? Maybe flash some other boot img?
27th April 2015, 06:50 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anilexis

I was using modified boot.img to get root and then edit init.qcom.post_boot.sh. Now my wi-fi is broken. Can I fix it without wiping? Maybe flash some other boot img?

Fixed it by flashing boot.img from 150208, root still there due to script edit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anilexis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Anilexis Ad-Free
22nd June 2015, 08:48 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Updated the OP to use the modified stock recovery (Wmjan's recovery for the N5207) as this will be friendlier to noobs and also make it easier to install OTAs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)