FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[PORT] ANDROID L Preview for GEE

1,876 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,904

Post Reply Email Thread
Here it is guys! Android L for all of us! We all need to thank @Kevinjoa for this wonderful port, because he's the dude who got it. Thanks!
Now for legal junk
Code:
Its your device
you choose what you do with it 
if your phone explodes after flashing this, or melts, not our (or Kevins) fault. K?
Now for current bugs
Personally, I feel it can be used as a daily driver

Heat issue (Fixed soon no ETA's) ((Or run start Thermald in terminal emulator))
Charging slow issue (Will be fixed with Heat)
Service may take some tweaking to work on sprint (Flash Release3 first, add your carrier in carrier settings, then flash latest)
Random Device Update FC (rename /system/app/OmaDmclient.apk to OmaDmclient.apk.bak thanks @dwielunski)
No SD Card error (go to corresponding app in /sdcard/android/data and delete the folder)
NFC isnt working
Camera is a bit wonky

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD L HERE
Please, before you report bootloop, give it at least 20 minutes to boot.
Enjoy!
Thanks to Google, Kevin, and whoever i forgot :P
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to ThatKawaiiGuy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ThatKawaiiGuy Ad-Free

16th July 2014, 08:33 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Luedenscheid
Thanks Meter: 2,844

Donate to Me
More
Correct download link: https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/Kevinjoa/old/gee-l
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kevinjoa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kevinjoa Ad-Free
16th July 2014, 09:16 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 417

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKawaiiGuy

Here it is guys! Android L for all of us! We all need to thank @Kevinjoa for this wonderful port, because he's the dude who got it. Thanks!

Service may take some tweaking to work on sprint (Flash Release3 first, add your carrier in carrier settings, then flash latest)
Random Device Update FC (rename /system/app/OmaDmclient.apk to OmaDmclient.apk.bak thanks @dwielunski)

OMG you guys figured that out! Amazing. I was wondering about the carrier part. I went from release two then clean flashed 8-11. Never tried any in between.

And @dwielunski seriously, tons of thanks for figuring out the update FCs. I tried renaming and deleting all kinds of apks and lines in some update xml's and whatnot. The fact that you figured that out and got them to stop is great. Thanks again to @dwielunski @ThatKawaiiGuy @Kevinjoa.

Has anyone else tried this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdacj

I froze the nfcservice.apk with Titanium Backup and the nfcservice in battery awake time stopped going up ��

Seems like it would help.
16th July 2014, 09:43 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 247

More
I am very pleased to be rid of the update device FC! Also this may be my first actual meaningful contribution on xda so there's a milestone.

I saw the note about the NFC service. I don't use Titanium, but I downloaded an app from the Play Store called Disable Service and used that to disable "Nfc service". I assume it's the same thing? (Not entirely clear on what the issue is with NFC.)

For 3G data, I think have a more sensible fix that doesn't require flashing multiple versions of the ROM. If you are getting LTE but not 3G, you probably need to add "default" to the the plain vanilla Sprint APN. I will post a guide on how to do this with screenshots in a minute.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwielunski For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dwielunski Ad-Free
16th July 2014, 10:12 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwielunski

I am very pleased to be rid of the update device FC! Also this may be my first actual meaningful contribution on xda so there's a milestone.

I saw the note about the NFC service. I don't use Titanium, but I downloaded an app from the Play Store called Disable Service and used that to disable "Nfc service". I assume it's the same thing? (Not entirely clear on what the issue is with NFC.)

For 3G data, I think have a more sensible fix that doesn't require flashing multiple versions of the ROM. If you are getting LTE but not 3G, you probably need to add "default" to the the plain vanilla Sprint APN. I will post a guide on how to do this with screenshots in a minute.

I agree since when booting release 3 for the first time there is no mobile network because it tries for global. I have no type of service at boot and have a feeling that if I could get through setup it would say I have no prl, min, meid information listed. I saw this problem with release 2 but was able to get through setup using wifi. I cannot do that at work. Also, once past that part I still could get nothing for data. I seriously think it is due to having EvDo and not eHRPD in this area.

On the note of NFC, I am thinking it can be removed or renamed much like the oma file. I found nfcnci.apk and renamed it to bak, also there is an nfc_nci.mako.so file here \system\lib\hw so maybe that can be removed or edited even. I don't know how NFC polls things but maybe those files are useful. I don't think using an extra app is useful all the time.

I tried this again while at work but still had nothing at boot on rel3 it sets the network to sim mode or something.
17th July 2014, 12:03 AM |#6  

More
All right. You only need one APN. (Others are for ota updates which we don't want, and separating eHRPD & LTE appears to create problems with handoff.) See screenshots for how it should look.

Now, to edit the APNs:
1) am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.ApnSettings from terminal emulator; or
2) download an app from the play store like quickshortcutmaker or various APN editor apps (can't tell you which will work though).

We could make a flashable zip out of it, or build into the ROM. Until then, for those trying to activate the ROM over 3G, maybe use a tool like aromafm to edit/swap out the APN XML file after flashing but before first boot.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dwielunski For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dwielunski Ad-Free
17th July 2014, 12:56 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

All right. You only need one APN. (Others are for ota updates which we don't want, and separating eHRPD & LTE appears to create problems with handoff.) See screenshots for how it should look.

Now, to edit the APNs:
1) am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.ApnSettings from terminal emulator; or
2) download an app from the play store like quickshortcutmaker or various APN editor apps (can't tell you which will work though).

We could make a flashable zip out of it, or build into the ROM. Until then, for those trying to activate the ROM over 3G, maybe use a tool like aromafm to edit/swap out the APN XML file after flashing but before first boot.

Do you have or can you share the apn config file after you edited it? Keep in mind that if you give only one apn and it is for sprint then this is no longer a gee rom, that's why it shouldn't be included in the rom. Just my 2 cents. but if you can share the xml then us here in the sprint section can replace it before flashing.

Also, whatever you do, do not rename the nfcnci.apk because you will no longer have access to settings for the phone.

EDIT: However, your idea works. I am using 3G, I sent a pic and went on chrome with it. I have EvDo rev a not eHRPD and can confirm it works. You're on a roll today.
The Following User Says Thank You to dopy25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dopy25 Ad-Free
17th July 2014, 02:57 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopy25

Do you have or can you share the apn config file after you edited it? Keep in mind that if you give only one apn and it is for sprint then this is no longer a gee rom, that's why it shouldn't be included in the rom. Just my 2 cents. but if you can share the xml then us here in the sprint section can replace it before flashing.

Also, whatever you do, do not rename the nfcnci.apk because you will no longer have access to settings for the phone.

EDIT: However, your idea works. I am using 3G, I sent a pic and went on chrome with it. I have EvDo rev a not eHRPD and can confirm it works. You're on a roll today.

Yes, it would be bad if we were deleting all the other carriers' APNs. But editing the APNs within system settings as I described does not alter or delete anything from the APN xml files in /system/etc/, it sits on top of those somehow. And also, though I didn't show this, the only APNs I am proposing to remove are unnecessary Sprint APNs (not other carriers). I am experimenting with editing apns-conf.xml in order to try to get it up and running from first boot and I will post the edited xml if it works.
17th July 2014, 03:52 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

Yes, it would be bad if we were deleting all the other carriers' APNs. But editing the APNs within system settings as I described does not alter or delete anything from the APN xml files in /system/etc/, it sits on top of those somehow. And also, though I didn't show this, the only APNs I am proposing to remove are unnecessary Sprint APNs (not other carriers). I am experimenting with editing apns-conf.xml in order to try to get it up and running from first boot and I will post the edited xml if it works.

I see. I thought you meant to place only one APN in the ROM file. But what I did was use APN manager and add the information you provided as a new APN. Thanks for the settings info BTW.

Does anybody know if "start thermald" in any spot of android terminal emulator is OK or do I need special permissions or to be in a certain folder. I typed that and pressed enter but nothing happened visually.
17th July 2014, 05:38 AM |#10  

More
No luck on incorporating the APN into the XML file. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Try again tomorrow.
On the bright side, I realized you can fire up the APN settings menu over ADB, so you can complete the setup without WiFi or LTE...if you have access to a computer with the Android SDK installed.
17th July 2014, 10:42 AM |#11  
Flag Ponta Delgada
Thanks Meter: 2,035

More
Is the included kernel the only one we can use? I can't live without s2w2 (my power button is almost unresponsive at this point....)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, gee, port, preview

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)